Speed Runners ~ How Fast Did You Go Today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did 114mph with my Hobao Hyper VT trying out a Poseidon motor.. This body creates a lot of downforce but im sure this car can hit at least 130, hopefully ill get there soon

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 48
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 43
Did 114mph with my Hobao Hyper VT trying out a Poseidon motor.. This body creates a lot of downforce but im sure this car can hit at least 130, hopefully ill get there soon

I noticed you had the rear of your cars extra high. I assume that is for downforce?
I suppose the nice thing is you can get used to the car and then can reduce the downforce for higher speeds when ready.

I noticed you had the rear of your cars extra high. I assume that is for downforce?
I suppose the nice thing is you can get used to the car and then can reduce the downforce for higher speeds when ready.

Good eye.. The back of the body was set high not for downforce, but to clear the tall NTF fans on the motor.. A few of my cars have the back a little higher than I’d like for that reason. Since those pics were taken I’ve rotated the fans downward and the body sits lower, but set too low and all four wheel wells get big rubber scuffs, this body makes a lot of downforce and pushes down on the tires at speed. It’s a balancing act I’m still figuring out lol

I ran 119mph last Thursday but drove into a ditch at the end of the run; hopefully I'll get out there a few times this week and actually drive it back to me this time!
I know the feeling! ?
GPS unofficially registered 115mph but that may have been from when it launched off the concrete block hiding in the ditch!! ??

Good eye.. The back of the body was set high not for downforce, but to clear the tall NTF fans on the motor.. A few of my cars have the back a little higher than I’d like for that reason. Since those pics were taken I’ve rotated the fans downward and the body sits lower, but set too low and all four wheel wells get big rubber scuffs, this body makes a lot of downforce and pushes down on the tires at speed. It’s a balancing act I’m still figuring out lol
All the pros are using travel limiters. Some go as simple as zip ties to limit travel.
I got some extremely dense foam that I'm going to try with the 4tec 2.0

Got a bit better run this morning, but I am still getting massive amounts of cogging, and at full throttle the power is just cutting out all together. I think I might be over geared to the point it can't handle the demand or my system is shot somehow?

Even with the good luck stickers from @Grumpy old man it only made 135km/h 83mph.
20200701_115208.jpg

Got a bit better run this morning, but I am still getting massive amounts of cogging, and at full throttle the power is just cutting out all together. I think I might be over geared to the point it can't handle the demand or my system is shot somehow?

Even with the good luck stickers from @Grumpy old man it only made 135km/h 83mph.View attachment 87737
If you’re using the BLX185 it will cut out if you roll into full power too early or have too high of gearing. I was able to get just over 100mph on the BLX185 but it took a GT body to get there. Open wheeled over 100mph is going to take a better ESC.

Even with the good luck stickers from @Grumpy old man it only made 135km/h 83mph.

What is your current gearing? I had the factory BLX system pretty well figured out as far as gearing.

All the pros are using travel limiters. Some go as simple as zip ties to limit travel.
I got some extremely dense foam that I'm going to try with the 4tec 2.0
I have fuel line tubing ready to go on the shock shafts, that has always worked well for me as a travel limiter.. I need to do this on a couple different cars actually. You mentioned that you want to try dense foam In the 4tec. Interesting, I’d like to see that

I have fuel line tubing ready to go on the shock shafts, that has always worked well for me as a travel limiter.. I need to do this on a couple different cars actually. You mentioned that you want to try dense foam In the 4tec. Interesting, I’d like to see that
This is what I like to do; there's no give and I can adjust my minimum ride height exactly where I want it. Obviously the shock end isn't there in the pic but the spacer/washer combo sits on that.

Travel Limiter.jpg

If you’re using the BLX185 it will cut out if you roll into full power too early or have too high of gearing. I was able to get just over 100mph on the BLX185 but it took a GT body to get there. Open wheeled over 100mph is going to take a better ESC.
What is your current gearing? I had the factory BLX system pretty well figured out as far as gearing.
Thank you so much guys, I was running 34T Spur 30T Pinion, I've gone back to 50T Spur 22T Pinion for now, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much guys, I was running 34T Spur 30T Pinion, I've gone back to 50T Spur 22T Pinion for now, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This was my data on the Typhon 6s using the following setup
BLX esc (no cap pact etc)
blx 2050 motor.
GRP tires
lowered with Limitless shocks and towers
trimmed rear wing
6s Turnigy Panther 5000 mAh LiPo

Along the blue line is setup and calculator speed. Optimal for me was 29/34, 127 (pinion/spur, theoretical calc. speed)
Orange line is actual speed on the Garmin gps

1593779993855.png

This was my data on the Typhon 6s using the following setup
BLX esc (no cap pact etc)
blx 2050 motor.
GRP tires
lowered with Limitless shocks and towers
trimmed rear wing
6s Turnigy Panther 5000 mAh LiPo

Along the blue line is setup and calculator speed. Optimal for me was 29/34, 127 (pinion/spur, theoretical calc. speed)
Orange line is actual speed on the Garmin gps

View attachment 88005
You're a legend thank you, well it seems I wasn't too far off with my setup, maybe I just was trying to get there too quick. I'll have to order a few more pinions to try out. I really am grateful for your being so open with that information.

You're a legend thank you, well it seems I wasn't too far off with my setup, maybe I just was trying to get there too quick. I'll have to order a few more pinions to try out. I really am grateful for your being so open with that information.
Happy to help.
With a good LiPo it should max out between 93-98 mph with your current setup.

New PB!
3379C775-C700-49EF-92EC-371881A70C46.png

Took my good luck charm with me this morning so she could get some video.
(Made her sit in the rear of an open suv for cover just in case things went sideways on the run up)

Back