Limitless Speed Running 101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raz's series of videos where he builds a car like a limitless is a good set of videos to start with.
You will absolutely learn a lot.

Once you do that and begin a build thread, tell us in a check list the things you have done and we can advise what things to do next.

There is tons of things to be said.... I could write a book LOL

My recommendation for anyone new would be to go with a known setup like a XLX2 and 1721 or XLX2 and TP4070 2200 CM motor.
START ON 3s and build up to 120 mph. Then consider going to 4s. and get to 130-145+ mph. then move to 6s and 8s later.

Start with CNHL G+ 6000mAh lipos

Last edited:
What RC are you going to speed run?
Limitless V1 for now
Raz's series of videos where he builds a car like a limitless is a good set of videos to start with.
You will absolutely learn a lot.

Once you do that and begin a build thread, tell us in a check list the things you have done and we can advise what things to do next.

There is tons of things to be said.... I could write a book LOL

My recommendation for anyone new would be to go with a known setup like a XLX2 and 1721 or XLX2 and TP4070 2200 CM motor.
START ON 3s and build up to 120 mph. Then consider going to 4s. and get to 130-145+ mph. then move to 6s and 8s later.

Start with CNHL G+ 6000mAh lipos
Thanks, I'll check out Raz's videos.

I am planning to start on 3S. I have an MMX8S, cap pack, CNHL batteries, and a few different motors to try. XLX2 someday.

Limitless V1 for now

I am planning to start on 3S. I have an MMX8S, cap pack, CNHL batteries, and a few different motors to try. XLX2 someday.
Perfect, you are on the right track already!

Limitless V1 for now

I started the same way you plan too. Only with a stretched typhon. Xlx2 will definitely come in play after you get bit by the speed bug. High amps on low volts make xlx2 the only way to go eventually. Would you mind sharing the motors you want to try? I really like day dreaming about combos, even if they aren't mine 🤣🤣 it a sickness that I embrace. What kind on connectors you using?

I started the same way you plan too. Only with a stretched typhon. Xlx2 will definitely come in play after you get bit by the speed bug. High amps on low volts make xlx2 the only way to go eventually. Would you mind sharing the motors you want to try? I really like day dreaming about combos, even if they aren't mine 🤣🤣 it a sickness that I embrace. What kind on connectors you using?
Thanks. Yeah I agree about the XLX2. I know the MMX8S will only take me so far. I’m using EC5 - when will that become a bottleneck?

I’ll probably try a lot of different motors. The experimenting is what interests me at this point. I have quite a few motors in the garage from Castle, Hobbywing, Spektrum, Surpass, Hobbystar, etc. Hope to try TP at some point.

Thanks. Yeah I agree about the XLX2. I know the MMX8S will only take me so far. I’m using EC5 - when will that become a bottleneck?

I’ll probably try a lot of different motors. The experimenting is what interests me at this point. I have quite a few motors in the garage from Castle, Hobbywing, Spektrum, Surpass, Hobbystar, etc. Hope to try TP at some point.
Can I say to just get rid of the EC5 right off the bat? Get some QS8’s and you won’t have to worry.

Can I say to just get rid of the EC5 right off the bat? Get some QS8’s and you won’t have to worry.
I know that's the best plan, but I'm not quite ready to dedicate certain batteries to only speed running. And everything else I own is EC5.

At approximately what speeds and/or current can I expect to have problems? I imagine it can be unpredictable but I'd appreciate any insights on the topic.

Limitless V1 for now

Do the xlx2 mod. You won’t regret it I promise you. 1717-1650 works with the motor in the standard position.

Raz took his V1 1717-1650 150ish??

Get the gyc441 or gyc470. It’ll help keep your $1000+ toy on the road

Do the xlx2 mod. You won’t regret it I promise you. 1717-1650 works with the motor in the standard position.

Raz took his V1 1717-1650 150ish??

Get the gyc441 or gyc470. It’ll help keep your $1000+ toy on the road
Thanks. Yeah I plan on XLX2 once funds allow for it.

I have a few Castle 1717s and am excited to try them out.

Thanks for the insight on gyros. Do those work that much better than a Spektrum or Radiolink? I’m not familiar with them.

I know that's the best plan, but I'm not quite ready to dedicate certain batteries to only speed running. And everything else I own is EC5.

At approximately what speeds and/or current can I expect to have problems? I imagine it can be unpredictable but I'd appreciate any insights on the topic.
I can’t tell you exactly what speed. When I first got into speed running I was using XT90’s since I didn’t know any better. After a 119mph pass I noticed they were pretty damn warm so that’s when I made the switch. I’d say use QS8 when you reach 100mph. But that’s just me randomly throwing out a number.

If you run basher batteries on a 100mph pass they likely will survive, but when you get up around 120+ mph the punishment (loads) they will see will likely destroy cells. Lower C cells get hit hard with demands from the XLX2 and speed run conditions and they usually don't survive. It is even posted on the warnings about the XLX2. It is a killer of low-budget LiPos. Batteries are one of the big hidden costs of speed running. Another is the cost of pinion gears when you need 15+ of them at $20 each.

1674656491379.png

I highly recommend the CNHL G+ 6000 for anyone new. Then when ready make the jump to Onyx Power Systems (OPS) LiPos when looking to get into that top tier of speed runners.

If you run basher batteries on a 100mph pass they likely will survive, but when you get up around 120+ mph the punishment (loads) they will see will likely destroy cells. Lower C cells get hit hard with demands from the XLX2 and speed run conditions and they usually don't survive. It is even posted on the warnings about the XLX2. It is a killer of low-budget LiPos. Batteries are one of the big hidden costs of speed running. Another is the cost of pinion gears when you need 15+ of them at $20 each.

View attachment 272945

I highly recommend the CNHL G+ 6000 for anyone new. Then when ready make the jump to Onyx Power Systems (OPS) LiPos when looking to get into that top tier of speed runners.
Thanks. I suppose I could think of it the other way around. Install QS8 on any batteries I’ll use for speed running, and just run an EC5 adapter when I use those same batteries for less-demanding bashing.

Thanks. I suppose I could think of it the other way around. Install QS8 on any batteries I’ll use for speed running, and just run an EC5 adapter when I use those same batteries for less-demanding bashing.

That would work.... the adapter would have a lesser impact on bashers.
As a little tip the QS8 connector requires some heat to solder. Use some flux and a high power soldering iron and you should be good. I always plug the opposing connector in to help keep the bullets straight in case the plastic is trying to melt.

Thoughts on starting with a Castle 1515 2200kv for the 3S runs?

I could also use:
  • 1415 2400kv
  • 1512 1800kv
  • 1520 1650kv
  • 1717 1260kv
  • 1717 1650kv
  • Spektrum 4985 1250kv
  • Spektrum 4074 2050kv
  • Spektrum 3660 2200kv
  • HW 5687 1100kv
  • Surpass 3670 2850kv
  • Hobbystar 4274 1350kv

Thoughts on starting with a Castle 1515 2200kv for the 3S runs?

I could also use:
  • 1415 2400kv
  • 1512 1800kv
  • 1520 1650kv
  • 1717 1260kv
  • 1717 1650kv
  • Spektrum 4985 1250kv
  • Spektrum 4074 2050kv
  • Spektrum 3660 2200kv
  • HW 5687 1100kv
  • Surpass 3670 2850kv
  • Hobbystar 4274 1350kv

The Castle 1515 is a great motor to start with. It performs great on 3s and 4s.

Personally I never quite understood the argument to start with lower voltages. The 1515 is a good choice for 3S and 4S but I'd favor the 1717-1650 and start with 4S and then jump to 6S. Or just start with 6S and gear it low and work your way up. Some of the motors that you listed seem kinda small for this car and anything less than 2000kv is too low for 3S.

Personally I never quite understood the argument to start with lower voltages. The 1515 is a good choice for 3S and 4S but I'd favor the 1717-1650 and start with 4S and then jump to 6S. Or just start with 6S and gear it low and work your way up. Some of the motors that you listed seem kinda small for this car and anything less than 2000kv is too low for 3S.
Lower voltages and lower speeds help you understand gearing better and see where the setup gets maxed out.
It is learning that translates to higher speeds and higher voltages, but at those higher speeds you can have some bigger variations run to run. So the learning is more solid at lower speeds and voltages.

I have been 127 on 3s so there is plenty of speed to be had at that power level.

My current goal is learning rather than mph milestones. Tires, aero, transmitter distance and settings, suspension, reading data logs and understanding when I’ve reached a system’s limit.

I already own all the components needed for a 150+ mph run. But that’s not my goal (yet). And I want to reduce the chance of disaster.

To quote one of the great philosophers of the current generation:

1674839411476.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back