Speed running data collection? Gyros? Logic board w sensors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
Predictability.

I'd love to be able to test my speed running RC in a wind tunnel to understand the forces on my RC and tune accordingly. But I don't have a wind tunnel. I need to gather data off the car when it's running at test speeds. Are there products out there that let me do this?
For example: I want something that will give me a log of the vehicle's motion and acceleration, such as linear (up/down, fwd/rev, side/side) and angular (pitch, roll, and yaw) acceleration. You could use the data at various speeds to understand the vehicles stability, understand aerodynamic affects, and make small extrapolations to predict future runs. For example, you could potentially use the vertical readout to check for "bouncing" and see how your RC handles "that one bump" on your speed running road (then adjust spring/shocks for stability), you could use the pitch read out to detect how "leaned back" your car sits to help predict blow overs or adjust aero or decide if you need a front splitter, you could use yaw readout to see if your car has "shakes" at high speed to determine if you need to shim up suspension components or stiffen your aero. Does any sort of gyro out there like that exist?

I know gyro's exist for driving stability management, but I want data, not the computer taking over.
If no consumer options exist, my next option is to build my own using a raspberry pi and accelerometers (I'd just rather not if I didnt have to).

Thank you. Apologies that perhaps this was a bit of an exercise in "let me google that for you". I am familiar with accelerometers but hadn't really considered there might be a stand alone consumer version available. And with bluetooth nonetheless. I'm just disappointed it wont let me connect via my Siri or Alexa and order stuff on amazon. A missed opportunity for sure...

Though I'm not sure whether or not the polling rate for this model is at an appropriate frequency to smaller details. I'll keep looking in this category for sure.

Has anyone in the forum used anything like this to obtain meaningful data from their RC runs?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back