Typhon Speed running electronics and assists

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theeljosh

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Hello everyone,
I am looking to get into speed running and was wondering, are there any "official" rules on, which gps units to use? Or are there just ones that everyone uses?

Also what is the take on drive assists such as stability control, or active aero?
I been thinking about a few crazy ideas for wings and stuff while I save up for a 6s.

Hello everyone,
I am looking to get into speed running and was wondering, are there any "official" rules on, which gps units to use? Or are there just ones that everyone uses?

Also what is the take on drive assists such as stability control, or active aero?
I been thinking about a few crazy ideas for wings and stuff while I save up for a 6s.
There’s no rule on the GPS. But for your benefit you’ll want to use one with a high refresh rate. The SkyRC GSM020 is the one everyone uses. As far as anything else feel free to use it. Not sure how much active aero is going to help. If it did all the top dogs would be running it. You don’t really want much downforce on the rear of the car anyways. That’s what turns them into RC airplanes. The moment the front is even a millimeter higher than the rear is when you have liftoff. But go ahead and cook something up. If it works it works. That’s the cool thing about the hobby. Trying new things and seeing what works. As long as you’re having fun then nothing else really matters.

Ok awesome, thank you.
Yea my aero ideas are more of flaps that pop up if the front comes off the ground, or like an air brake.
The Travis Pastrana's gymkhana car got me thinking about it.

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the money pit.
I will say if you don't have access to an absolutely amazing road then don't get too invested. A great road and deep pockets are key for speedrunning. The rest can be learned along the way.

For GPS we used to run the Garmin forerunner devices back in the day and now everyone uses the SkyRC GNSS which is a blue tooth device that requires an app on your phone. It seems to be 10x more accurate and is really great overall.

For assists, they can be troublesome if not very consistent.
For starting out you may want to only use a throttle control assist. My recommendation is the Noble NB4 Radio it allows you to dial in a linear throttle pull down to a tenth of second all digitally controlled. If you don't want to change from your current radio the the perfect pass launch control does the same thing, but its a turn pot control so you don't know exactly what you are getting when you turn it.

As for radio range the Noble NB4 works great with the dual antenna mod on the FGr4 v2 receiver.
I have been running for quite a while with this setup (no need for a signal booster so far)

Please ask questions along the way so we can help you avoid purchasing things that won't help you progress. I spent lots of money in my early days speed running buying the wrong parts.

Last edited:
Welcome to the money pit.
I will say if you don't have access to an absolutely amazing road then don't get too invested. A great road and deep pockets are key for speedrunning. The rest can be learned along the way.

For GPS we used to run the Garmin forerunner devices back in the day and now everyone uses the SkyRC GNSS which is a blue tooth device that requires an app on your phone. It seems to be 10x more accurate and is really great overall.

For assists, they can be troublesome if not very consistent.
For starting out you may want to only use a throttle control assist. My recommendation is the Noble NB4 Radio it allows you to dial in a linear throttle pull down to a tenth of second all digitally controlled.

As for radio range it works great with the dual antenna mod on the FGr4 v2 receiver.
I have been running for quite a while with this setup (no need for a signal booster so far)

Please ask questions along the way so we can help you avoid purchasing things that won't help you progress. I spent lots of money in my early days speed running buying the wrong parts.
Also good advice. Rule of thumb is prepare yourself for a complete loss due to a crash. You will crash along the way once you reach higher speeds. Ask me how I know. 🤣 I’ve had a couple crashes but no complete losses. Most of the people I’ve seen that have totaled are running on roads with curbs. My road has grass on each side so the car either bounced down the asphalt or off into the grass. Still had damage but not as bad as you’d think.

The blue road reflectors are magnetic evidently.... Also gutters and for sale signs on vacant lots.
Ask me how I know :LOL:

Biggest piece of advice is to start with GRP softest compound you can get.
Start with 60 mph then move up to 80, 90, 100, 110, 115, 120 etc.

You will notice things and be able to fix the car if you take baby steps. If you go out day one shooting for 150 disasters will occur!

This speed side of the hobby is a heart breaker, but it is very fun and rewarding with a great community here on the forum.

Ok cool thank you, we got pretty good roads near me.
I look into the Noble radio.
Yea I figured starting with a 6s and building as it broke was the way to go.
Tho I kinda want to gear my 3s to the moon and see if I can get on the speed board with it lol.

Ok cool thank you, we got pretty good roads near me.
I look into the Noble radio.
Yea I figured starting with a 6s and building as it broke was the way to go.
Tho I kinda want to gear my 3s to the moon and see if I can get on the speed board with it lol.

I actually recommend starting with 3s and working your way up.
I am at 127 on 3s and 146 on 4s. Both have a few more mph in them that I plan to find. May never try 6s or 8s this year.

Oh very awesome, do you have a build thread for your cars?

I just got into speedrunning as well. I bought my limitless with every intention of bashing and then the bug bit. Definitely work on car set up, get a good radio and do a lot of 60-70mph runs until you get used to it. You have to dial all your settings in for steering so you can make small adjustments without upsetting the car as you take your run

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back