Speed running on the road and the law?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_nom_noms_

Steering is for noobs
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 6s
Can anyone explain the USA laws about speed running RC cars on public highways and share their experiences?

I'm seeking out some good speed run locations and i also need to stay the right side of the law (I'm not a criminal or on any kind of probation its for personal reasons that are boring and irrelevant)

Common sense is obvious in terms of cars/ property and people but what about the ectual law and has anyone found themselves in trouble for running on public roads or even on private property?

May make an interesting thread?

Good question, many guys have had the police sit, watch, ask questions...others get thrown out of an empty parking lot. Pretty sure it’s against the law but only action against might come if someone has a complaint or the cop wants to be a fun stopper. I’ve never had an issue and see policeman all the time. I’m old though and when you get old no one really cares what you do anymore...

While everything is fun and harmless you might not have a problem with the lawmen, but if by some small chance you are the cause an incident, I bet you will find out real fast that it's not the cops but the lawyers that you need to be worried about! But ain't that always the case?

I have played the scenario out.

Cop: what are you doing

Person driving an RC at high speed: playing golf officer

I know the crime here in Florida is "tresspas after warning" so if you are told to move but continue it can get you in trouble.

I doubt the same would apply to all situations. Take an airfield for example. Or indeed area 51 😅

Bout 6 months ago i had a Indiana state patrolman stop an shot radar in covid empty sams club parking lot,big rock on 6s 72mph,i ended up letting him drive it.stock talion 52mph

20200804_214305.jpg

I've had CHP (california highway patrol) stop and talk to me and was really cool. Asked what I was doing, showed and told him and he was just like anyone else that stops absolutely blown away about what the little cars can do. He didn't say a word negative or tell me I couldn't be doing it, actually told me to have fun and good luck breaking my PB 👍 I'm sure it all depends on the cop most of all but if your not interupting traffic and being safe about everything I don't believe they can legally tell you you can't be doing it.

If someone asks me to leave I just find it easier to leave than get into an "argument" about it.🤷‍♂️ More often than not people are interested in the RC and strike up a conversation about it. It comes down to a judgement call I feel like.

If someone asks me to leave I just find it easier to leave than get into an "argument" about it.🤷‍♂️ More often than not people are interested in the RC and strike up a conversation about it. It comes down to a judgement call I feel like.
The daily struggle is real lol 😅
e2c.jpg

Be respectful and don't argue.
What is the law, depends on the state. In general, if you are not drunk, they are considered 'toys' and do not require a license etc.
As long as you are operating them in a safe manner it's legal. Now what is safe and what isn't depends on the situation.

100mph through a schoolzone with kids, I bet you will have issues.

Be respectful and don't argue.
What is the law, depends on the state. In general, if you are not drunk, they are considered 'toys' and do not require a license etc.
As long as you are operating them in a safe manner it's legal. Now what is safe and what isn't depends on the situation.

100mph through a schoolzone with kids, I bet you will have issues.
Ya I'd say If your doing that in a school zone you shouldn't even have one. I run mine on a road with no houses, low traffic and even god forbid the ESC or lipo goes up it wouldn't cause a fire either.

I watched an interesting video regarding camera drones and privacy. Some guy felt harassed as it was in his yard and decided to down it with a 12 gauge shotgun. I'm not sure what happened to him but drones are classed as aircraft so shooting them is a felony offense. Sorry for the thread drift but I thought it was interesting

We have had probably 12 or so different officers stop and watch us fly our rc planes. They usually want to make sure your not broken down or selling drugs. Once they realize what you are doing they usually show a lot of interest. I imagine it would be the same with rc cars.

I just put an FOP placard on my car and do what I want. :p

Most officers don't care and have better things to do unless it comes in as a call for service where someone is complaining that you are causing a hazard or a private property owner wants you out of their parking lot/off their construction site.

I doubt you’ll find anything on the books that says it’s ok and a bunch in the penal code that says it’s not if you happen to meet the “right” person. If you’re looking for permission you probably aren’t going to find it. That doesn’t mean your going to jail and getting your stuff confiscated if you happen to meet a leo either though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back