Speed running on the road and the law?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in NL, as it's not a registered vehicle only article 5 can apply (reckless driving) Showing you are careful should be enough.

But if your car goes up in the air to high you could get a ticket for unlawful use of the airspace ;)
I thought airspace begins 100m (300ft) above ground and ends 100km (60something miles) above ground. For speedruns you should be safe, Skatepark bashing though ... :LOL:

We have had probably 12 or so different officers stop and watch us fly our rc planes. They usually want to make sure your not broken down or selling drugs. Once they realize what you are doing they usually show a lot of interest. I imagine it would be the same with rc cars.
New goal: Become drug kingpin that runs RC cars as a cover!

Here in NL, as it's not a registered vehicle only article 5 can apply (reckless driving) Showing you are careful should be enough.

But if your car goes up in the air to high you could get a ticket for unlawful use of the airspace ;)
I have my FAA drone permit for that case 🤣🤘🏻

I have my FAA drone permit for that case 🤣🤘🏻
Since 1/1/2021 permits for drones are mandatory in the EU. I haven't bothered to get one, 200Euro.
I only fly FPV and would still require a LOS spotter beside me at all times to make public flying legal. Thx to the stupidity of the let's peak at the girl next door drone guys we ended up with these stupid rules.

Luckily FPV freestyling has the same effect on people/cops as speedrunning. As long as you don't bother people and don't take stupid risks, anyone seeing it will just pass by thinking like 'wow that some cool stuff' or 'what a nerd, grown-ups with toys'

Bout 6 months ago i had a Indiana state patrolman stop an shot radar in covid empty sams club parking lot,big rock on 6s 72mph,i ended up letting him drive it.stock talion 52mph

View attachment 139097
Yeah, it may depend on you letting them take the controls and letting them give it a spin whether you get a ticket or not😀🙃😃

They don’t even pull people over for speeding here. I doubt they care about RC cars on a country road. YMMV
Now just watch, Mr Duke is going to go 150 with his rig and they're going to cuff him and stuff him ..
..........but it will take a helicopter to keep up with his rig

Can anyone explain the USA laws about speed running RC cars on public highways and share their experiences?

I'm seeking out some good speed run locations and i also need to stay the right side of the law (I'm not a criminal or on any kind of probation its for personal reasons that are boring and irrelevant)

Common sense is obvious in terms of cars/ property and people but what about the ectual law and has anyone found themselves in trouble for running on public roads or even on private property?

May make an interesting thread?
The only interaction I have had so far with the authorities is one time a sheriff's deputy slowed down to watch me when I was in the parking lot of a factory. He didn't pull over or ask any questions, he either just wanted to make sure nothing weird was going on or he was interested in the rig I was racing around the parking lot. My guess is, as long as you don't cause a potential danger in the subjective opinion of the officer, or a private property owner, then you are more than likely be okay.

They will always be an occasional jerk out there who thinks you are doing something wrong and make call and report you, or an officer that is having a bad day and you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I think the vast majority of hobbyists who are not causing an immediate danger or tearing up somebody's turf will be fine....

Its illegal, I've seen a YouTube video where a guy was doing speed runs in the middle of the day. State Trooper pulled up and told him to immediately stop and watched him pack it up. You're better off finding a spot deserted, or lack of traffic because it can be dangerous in many ways.

It's not illegal, we are still outside of the law on that one. Only law or rule that will be enforced is 'thread or immediate danger'. Obviously that leaves room for interpretation. I've seen videos with FPV RC on highway at night, he was arrested because he tried to evade the police, probably nothing if he'd obeyed. Any populated road is based on situation, hence the inconsistent observations. Technically these are 'toys' and there is no applicable law, adult supervision is a given, most of the time, even if we act like kids 😉

One Washington statute provides that a person who intentionally obstructs vehicular traffic is guilty of a crime:  “A person is guilty of disorderly conduct if he intentionally obstructs vehicular traffic without lawful authority.”   RCW 9A.84.030(1)(c).

Good one finding an actual statue and I'm sure these are similar in all states.
Boils down to don't run on roads where this can be an issue. As soon as you are deemed a nuisance there is a law.

On OP, is the a system in place that automatically gives you a ticket just for speeding, answer is no but don't outrun the police or point to this post coz 'I said so'.
I know I will do this tomorrow with my Infraction, behind a school and out of sight.
Driving Fast Car GIF by Airspeeder

I think that most folks running $1000++ cars on good sections of road are doing it safely and are not obstructing any traffic. Our forum speed runners who post video are operating responsibly. But like I said before, if something bad happens, don't fear the police, fear the lawyers.

No question, I'm not really worried about Police interaction. My fear is property or even worse personal damage and liability.
All of a sudden the poop gets serious.

Stay safe and if you are not comfortable just don't do it. If you are comfortable make sure that you are comfortable for a reason and you crossed your i and dotted your t's..oh wait!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back