Limitless SPEEDRUNNING TIPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-BASH

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
  4. Senton 6s
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
Figured I start this thread for small little helpful tips for more speed an what you've learned that helps....it's the small things that's helped me along the way...help others an learn some myself..I'll start

Ran this new car today for first time....I always chalk mark a line across each tire...helps me know what suspension changes I need to make to get a perfect center part of tire on street..left rear of this car was bad..

20220407_175225.jpg

20220407_175507.jpg

20220407_175230.jpg

20220407_175239.jpg

Ran this new car today for first time....I always chalk mark a line across each tire...helps me know what suspension changes I need to make to get a perfect center part of tire on street..left rear of this car was bad..

20220407_175225.jpg

20220407_175507.jpg

20220407_175230.jpg

20220407_175239.jpg
Can also see how much rubber was in contact with rode,RR almost wore all the paint off..the fronts just the center of the tire.this car is way heavier on the front tooo,everything is moved forward in chassis.

Last edited:
Run your car on a block or upside down to make sure you don't have any wobbles. Could be loose pillow balls, wallowed out suspension links, or an out of balance tire. But if it runs smooth on the bench, you're more likely to get a clean pass on the road.

Don't try to be the fastest at the get go. Going from stock to 100 to 120 etc... isn't just a matter of buying the best system and pulling the trigger. The faster it goes, the greater the chances things can go wrong. Set your goals in increments and adjust as you get comfortable. And always be safe. Anything being remotely controlled can turn or flip in less than a second. There is no time to react so be sure to be in the safest spot possible when you start.

Or 6-7’ tall corn fields 😵‍💫

Hard to find the pieces…
I can attest to that for sure! I heard icy holes in a lake can swallow up Kratons too 🤣🤘🏻

believe it or not trees, signs, telephone poles, or even steel plow blades, can jump out in front of your car and jump back to where they were in a split second…. And yes your chances of hitting the one and only, 2” wide street sign pole 50ft off the side of the road are astronamically tiny.. BUT you are just that Lucky!!!

View attachment 210747

View attachment 210748

View attachment 210749

View attachment 210750

Can also see how much rubber was in contact with rode,RR almost wore all the paint off..the fronts just the center of the tire.this car is way heavier on the front tooo,everything is moved forward in chassis.
I will try that today.

The usual list goes something like this.
  • Set your front toe just slightly in.
  • Get the front very low using droop screws (you may need to install longer screws)
  • Set the rear at least 10mm higher than the front and the rear springs should be as stiff as possible.
  • At higher speeds with the related higher downforce you will need travel limiters in the shocks
  • GRPs are "safe" to around 120-140 after that it is very risky.
  • Hoons suck.
  • Slow throttle pulls will net the highest speed. Due to reduced amperage spikes and their related voltage sag.
  • 56mm motors will net a higher speed and lower temps than a 1/8 scale 40mm motor due to their larger rotor torque.
  • You do need downforce and more so when running foams. Most Arrmas get out of control during braking without a rear wing.
  • The only ESCs that go "really fast" are Castle Creations MMX8s, XLX, and XLX2.
  • Start with 3s (you can go 120+ mph on 3s and crash less + learn a ton that applies to higher voltage setups)
  • Oscillations in the driveline will kill performance.
  • A strong servo is mandatory for high speeds.
  • Remove road reflectors before running.
  • Stand on top of your 1:1 vehicle or use a ladder for safety
  • Learn your car at 80, 90, 100, 110, etc Jumping straight for a 140+ run will result in a crash 100% of the time unless you are a James Mccoy /Phillip Jolley level speed runner with years of experience.
  • Don't get sucked into the hype of MaxAmps or Futaba 7pxr radios. There are many options at 20% the cost that work better for this segment of the hobby.

Last edited:
ROLL RESISTANCE is a real thing..only been running 4s this year..always a good thing to check RR..any time ya pull spool check how good your car rolls..so many areas where parts can rub or bind up..also been playing with mesh an I've found out the lower volts ya run the looser ya can run your mesh helping RR..running very loose mesh on 4s without damaging gears an seeing better RR..I got car rolling very easily.by running low voltage ya can learn alot..everyone should have a high kv low voltage ride...you'll learn some things

If you’re new to speedrunning, you don’t have to buy the best parts to start out. Crashing is inevitable.. it hurts less on the wallet to replace stock electronics than a XLX2 or expensive carbon fiber pieces.

Start with the stock electronics and maximize what you have. Those limits really force you to address problems that can be masked by higher performing parts.

For example, a stock ESC will keep your load on check, your ESC will cutoff and you’ll have to figure out how to reduce load and keep your speed up high. Whereas, an XLX2 will allow you to run 100mph on 450amps.

Don't run your purpose built speedrun cars on the road outside your house just for fun because your bored.. Buy a WL toys 144001 for $120 or something similar and beat the crap out of that instead. Only run fast speedrun cars on a suitable road, otherwise its likely you will crash for a dumb reason that never should have happened

Don't run your purpose built speedrun cars on the road outside your house just for fun because your bored.. Buy a WL toys 144001 for $120 or something similar and beat the crap out of that instead. Only run fast speedrun cars on a suitable road, otherwise its likely you will crash for a dumb reason that never should have happened

This is that exact reason I turned off reverse on my speedrun car lol

Accidentally hit reverse and my car got ran over.

Have the right tires for your road.
Every road is different and so everyone needs to run different tires. I was running a S3 tire on a course road, but they were too sticky and was picking up rocks. I went to Hoons so I would not pick up the rocks. I tried them on a different road (that road was finer and almost no rocks) and I wiped out a 55mph because I did not have grip.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back