Spektrum 150a esc caught on fire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcs29

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
So my Spektrum 150 esc caught on fire today. I put the speed pinion on a couple days ago. I ran one pack on it early today just fine. About 3 hours later I ran a 2nd pack and was almost done. Landed a jump and then the smoke and flames. Wasn't jumping more than 10ft high, running through 50/50 grass and tarmac. Anyhow would the speed pinion really be the reason for my esc burning up? I mean they supply you with it (yes I know they say not to run off road) so I didn't expect that. Ideas what happened? Also is there a replacement esc that I could go with if I were to keep stock motor? Also should I be worried about motor being toast since the esc caught fire? I'm in over my head here fellas.

Anyhow would the speed pinion really be the reason for my esc burning up?

Yes. There's a reason they tell you not to run it off-road. Grass is one of the highest drag surfaces you can run an R/C on, and with the speed pinion and high default motor timing, you can easily push a damaging amount of current through the ESC.

The motor may be okay, but under your running conditions there's a high chance it also overheated and damaged the magnets and/or the epoxy holding the wire coils in the can.

Horizon will most likely replace the ESC if it's still under warranty. Next time keep the pinion 13T or smaller, and read the manual section on programming the ESC to find out how to lower the motor timing to 15° advanced or lower.

How long does your packs last?
6200 mah one lasts about 35 minutes and the 5200 one lasts 25-30 minutes. Always balance charged, then storage charged and check each cell voltage and ir very often.
Yes. There's a reason they tell you not to run it off-road. Grass is one of the highest drag surfaces you can run an R/C on, and with the speed pinion and high default motor timing, you can easily push a damaging amount of current through the ESC.

The motor may be okay, but under your running conditions there's a high chance it also overheated and damaged the magnets and/or the epoxy holding the wire coils in the can.

Horizon will most likely replace the ESC if it's still under warranty. Next time keep the pinion 13T or smaller, and read the manual section on programming the ESC to find out how to lower the motor timing to 15° advanced or lower.
Thanks. Just bought a replacement 12 tooth. Had zero problems running that gear so I'll just stick with it

Speed pinion does not work for grass, you completely over stressed both ESC and motor, get a new motor as well, I bet it will give up it's ghost soon.
Get a temp gun, and you should stay below 160F on the motor and 130F on the ESC.
Any ESC will burn up if you overt stress it like you have.
Get one with a higher amp rating and your motor is next, get a better motor and your Lipos will burn up. You can keep going until you understand the need for a smaller pinion.
You might not like my answer, but it's a reality.

The jump didn't do anything with respect to this specific problem.

I'd bet money it cooked so long it melted with those 30+ min runtimes.. what rig and what size pinion is the speed pinion!?
Kraton 6s blx and 15t. I mean I was probably half throttle or less 75% of the time. I'm typically pretty good about temping motor and checking battery and what not but not so much today since it was cold and crappy outside. Live and learn I guess. Just hoping my motor is ok. It didn't seem hot when I pulled off body.
Speed pinion does not work for grass, you completely over stressed both ESC and motor, get a new motor as well, I bet it will give up it's ghost soon.
Get a temp gun, and you should stay below 160F on the motor and 130F on the ESC.
Any ESC will burn up if you overt stress it like you have.
Get one with a higher amp rating and your motor is next, get a better motor and your Lipos will burn up. You can keep going until you understand the need for a smaller pinion.
You might not like my answer, but it's a reality.

The jump didn't do anything with respect to this specific problem.
Only reason I used speed pinion was because I lost the stock one when grub came loose and e-pin had apparently fell off. I felt no need to run bigger gear other than it was what I had on hand. I'm not one to push limits with stuff which is why I ordered another 12t. If motor is toast then this rig will be sitting for awhile I guess. Again....live and learn

Last edited:
Speed pinion might have been a bit much but the Firma 150a escs had a reputation not long ago on this forum for catching fire under normal operating conditions.

Something else is going on, I run a 16t on my kexb with a 150a firma and 2050kv.. no heat issues, running 25+ mins.. when's the last time u check your motor bearings!?

So my Spektrum 150 esc caught on fire today. I put the speed pinion on a couple days ago. I ran one pack on it early today just fine. About 3 hours later I ran a 2nd pack and was almost done. Landed a jump and then the smoke and flames. Wasn't jumping more than 10ft high, running through 50/50 grass and tarmac. Anyhow would the speed pinion really be the reason for my esc burning up? I mean they supply you with it (yes I know they say not to run off road) so I didn't expect that. Ideas what happened? Also is there a replacement esc that I could go with if I were to keep stock motor? Also should I be worried about motor being toast since the esc caught fire? I'm in over my head here fellas.
I've run my Kraton hard on grass with a 20t pinion it, got over 50mph. I use to do it all the time when I first got the rig cause well at first you're just so impressed with the speed. I never burnt my ESC or motor. 2 things though, I always have my timing on 0 and 2 I constantly watch my temps and take two rigs out all the time to swap while one cools. On Saturday I burnt up a BLX185 running on 4s, so my point it I also think its luck of the draw. One thing is true the Kraton aint much fun on more than a 13t cause of the big tires and heat issues.

You'll get many different responses with regard to the "why" these spektrum 150 ESCs catch fire. Many people quickly want to blame temps. Some want to attack the manufacturer. Some want to blame your setup. The simple fact is, there are more people complaining about a failed/firey spektrum 150a than other ESCs on this forum. Whether that's due to the sheer number of them out othere (RTR) or some other reason is unknown. Typically though, on the stock 12t, you should have a much lower risk for failure. Gearing up should just be a heat issue, but it seems other issues start coming up.

Ideally a well made ESC should thermally throttle if pushed too far, but the spektrum ones seem to fail and catch fire, even if temps are under control. I had a 35mm rocket fan running at the time my spektrum exploded, temps were well in check before it failed.

My advice is to get a warranty replacement, if you can, and go back to stock. Otherwise, upgrade to a max6. Odds are your stock motor is fine. Lucky for me, the rest of my electronics survives. Hopefully you can come out the same!

You'll get many different responses with regard to the "why" these spektrum 150 ESCs catch fire. Many people quickly want to blame temps. Some want to attack the manufacturer. Some want to blame your setup. The simple fact is, there are more people complaining about a failed/firey spektrum 150a than other ESCs on this forum. Whether that's due to the sheer number of them out othere (RTR) or some other reason is unknown. Typically though, on the stock 12t, you should have a much lower risk for failure. Gearing up should just be a heat issue, but it seems other issues start coming up.

Ideally a well made ESC should thermally throttle if pushed too far, but the spektrum ones seem to fail and catch fire, even if temps are under control. I had a 35mm rocket fan running at the time my spektrum exploded, temps were well in check before it failed.

My advice is to get a warranty replacement, if you can, and go back to stock. Otherwise, upgrade to a max6. Odds are your stock motor is fine. Lucky for me, the rest of my electronics survives. Hopefully you can come out the same!
Appreciate it. Yeah seems to be many opinions on this matter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back