Kraton Spektrum 2050kv motor blown causes??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
Hi arrma forum I have a v2ish kraton 6s that I just finished rebuilding. I finished it yesterday And ran about half of a battery pack through it when I ended up destroying my pinion. In the moment I assumed that I messed up the mesh when rebuilding it. so today I took out the destroyed 14 tooth and put in a new 13 tooth and made sure that the mesh was set right. I lifted up the car and slowly gave it throttle and at about 75 percent throttle it locked the entire drivetrain. At this point I assumed that the motor or new pinion shifted slightly and locked it. However after more inspection the motor decided to implode but I have no idea why it didn’t break yesterday when I was running because I was a bit aggressive with it. Now I am out a motor and this is really starting to piss me off because I just dropped around 700 on a new Max 6, agf 55 kv servo, 2 6s zee battery’s, rpm a arms all around, hot racing front knuckles, rpm wing mount, hot racing shock stand offs, all new bearings,screws,and fluids, 2 rocket rc 21000rpm fans and a diff rebuild kit. So if you guys have any ideas of why this happened and if it was anything I did wrong and how to fix it next time. Also any recommendations for a new motor and better pinions. Also ignore how crazy dirty the car is I hit some mud yesterday when I ran and Haven’t had time to clean it yet

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You could score another one for cheap (people used to throw them like confetti in parades, but one clocked a little girl in the melon, so because of “Karens” we can no longer throw our Spektrum 2050’s in parades) or get the preferred 4985 HW 1650kv motor or a very decent Surpass/Rocket motor for cheap.
And yo, welcome to the forum!

Hi arrma forum I have a v2ish kraton 6s that I just finished rebuilding. I finished it yesterday And ran about half of a battery pack through it when I ended up destroying my pinion. In the moment I assumed that I messed up the mesh when rebuilding it. so today I took out the destroyed 14 tooth and put in a new 13 tooth and made sure that the mesh was set right. I lifted up the car and slowly gave it throttle and at about 75 percent throttle it locked the entire drivetrain. At this point I assumed that the motor or new pinion shifted slightly and locked it. However after more inspection the motor decided to implode but I have no idea why it didn’t break yesterday when I was running because I was a bit aggressive with it. Now I am out a motor and this is really starting to piss me off because I just dropped around 700 on a new Max 6, agf 55 kv servo, 2 6s zee battery’s, rpm a arms all around, hot racing front knuckles, rpm wing mount, hot racing shock stand offs, all new bearings,screws,and fluids, 2 rocket rc 21000rpm fans and a diff rebuild kit. So if you guys have any ideas of why this happened and if it was anything I did wrong and how to fix it next time. Also any recommendations for a new motor and better pinions. Also ignore how crazy dirty the car is I hit some mud yesterday when I ran and Haven’t had time to clean it yet

View attachment 298035

View attachment 298036

View attachment 298039

View attachment 298040

View attachment 298041

View attachment 298042

View attachment 298043

View attachment 298044

View attachment 298045
Uggggggg....Sorry man..... dunno why my 2050 is still chugging away..... you have already gotten some really good advice above, but you inquired about pinions, as well.

sagacustomrc.com is a good source for me and others, fwiw. Nice rig, btw ! You'll get it runnin again !!

Motor overheated, get yourself a temp gun and get some fans in place. Won't help with tight mesh etc, but gives you an idea. Anything above 170F is a disater waiting to happen. Epoxy permanently breaks down after ~ 200F and you live on borrowed time.

Motor overheated, get yourself a temp gun and get some fans in place. Won't help with tight mesh etc, but gives you an idea. Anything above 170F is a disater waiting to happen. Epoxy permanently breaks down after ~ 200F and you live on borrowed time.
I have a temp gun and 2 nice rocket rc fans on the motor also I checked the motor temp when I blew the pinion yesterday and it was at 86 degrees however that was about 45 seconds after I stopped running cause I had to walk to the car but I did buy the motor used so the previous owner could of been rough on it and thanks for the feed back
You could score another one for cheap (people used to throw them like confetti in parades, but one clocked a little girl in the melon, so because of “Karens” we can no longer throw our Spektrum 2050’s in parades) or get the preferred 4985 HW 1650kv motor or a very decent Surpass/Rocket motor for cheap.
And yo, welcome to the forum!
Lol thanks for the ideas
Uggggggg....Sorry man..... dunno why my 2050 is still chugging away..... you have already gotten some really good advice above, but you inquired about pinions, as well.

sagacustomrc.com is a good source for me and others, fwiw. Nice rig, btw ! You'll get it runnin again !!
Thanks I will look into it

I have a temp gun and 2 nice rocket rc fans on the motor also I checked the motor temp when I blew the pinion yesterday and it was at 86 degrees however that was about 45 seconds after I stopped running cause I had to walk to the car but I did buy the motor used so the previous owner could of been rough on it and thanks for the feed back

Welcome!

Not all fans are equal, and posts on the temp are spot on. The 2050kv motor can hold its own if the bearings are good, clean it, and as stated, keep temps under 170F.

If C was the temp you were a little over...about 186F, remember the outside temp does not really show the hotter inner temp inside the motor. Temps look to be what got you here. 40mm fans on the motor and ESC are much better.

So sorry.

Welcome!

Not all fans are equal, and posts on the temp are spot on. The 2050kv motor can hold its own if the bearings are good, clean it, and as stated, keep temps under 170F.

If C was the temp you were a little over...about 186F, remember the outside temp does not really show the hotter inner temp inside the motor. Temps look to be what got you here. 40mm fans on the motor and ESC are much better.

So sorry.
Thanks and will probably get another spektrum motor and see if the new fans keep it cool

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back