Spektrum 8s 1650 combo vs castle 8s 1650

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
My lhs is giving me a brand new spektrum 8s right out the truck ? what's wrong with 8s 1250 160a combo? its going in my typhon 6s

I will take it regardless duh its fkn brand spanking new

I do spend lots of money there/ hang out

Last edited:
1650kv? I thought the stock 8s system is 1250. Nice setup but a little light on power for the heavy Arrma 8s rigs. Only draw back in the typhon might be the need of an extra large pinion.

And the spektrum fima 160a is trash? Or xlx2 is 10x better
The fima 160 is good enough. You see, I had no idea what you were going to drive like (speed/off-road). The xlx2 is maybe twice as good. It's internal filtering, Cryo-Drive (which hasn't been around all that long.

My intention was to say "good job" and support your decisions if I agree. And yes, I agree.

Im doing speed runs only 100mph is good enough right now 😂. Im ordering the M2c speed kraton 6s chassis

Im currently running 29/46 2200 I did 91mph today if I did my gps correctly
The fima 160 is good enough. You see, I had no idea what you were going to drive like (speed/off-road). The xlx2 is maybe twice as good. It's internal filtering, Cryo-Drive (which hasn't been around all that long.

My intention was to say "good job" and support your decisions if I agree. And yes, I agree.
I ordered the xlx2 combo also that's for when im ready to move up on speed ranking

I ordered the xlx2 combo also that's for when im ready to move up on speed ranking

I had that Spektrum 1250KV-160A Firma ESC in my Talion and it was just OK in my opinion. Plenty of initial torque but it topped out pretty quick. I could tell the motor had more to give me than the ESC could handle. Probably could've geared it up higher (was running 46/24) when I used it. Then I had some issues with the Spektrum receiver (6100AT) (very glitchy) and the DX5 Pro started acting funny too. Found myself pretty disappointed in Spektrum products in general. I had ordered the 6290 servo and it didn't even move right out the box...had to return it for a refund. My very first run with it was impressive as I was out in a local park here in Philly with about 5 other guys. It performed well compared to them but then I got in a race with a LHS owner with a Corally Radix on 4S and got dusted. I'd jump out in front of him but he'd fly by me each time. He suggested dumping the ESC and the controller and "maybe" keeping the motor so I took his advice.

I've since switched to the MMX8S and the Castle 1717-1650KV motor. Doing my little testing as I write this. Also switched out the DX5 Pro for a Futaba. Gonna see how it goes as I try to find the right gearing and the right tire package for how I run (street/pavement with light off-road; no jumps). Right now I got the Sweeps Terrain Crushers on it and they perform great but they're a bit heavy and I want something BELTED that's lighter...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had that Spektrum 1250KV-160A Firma ESC in my Talion and it was just OK in my opinion. Plenty of initial torque but it topped out pretty quick. I could tell the motor had more to give me than the ESC could handle. Probably could've geared it up higher (was running 46/24) when I used it. Then I had some issues with the Spektrum receiver (6100AT) (very glitchy) and the DX5 Pro started acting funny too. Found myself pretty disappointed in Spektrum products in general. I had ordered the 6290 servo and it didn't even move right out the box...had to return it for a refund. My very first run with it was impressive as I was out in a local park here in Philly with about 5 other guys. It performed well compared to them but then I got in a race with a LHS owner with a Corally Radix on 4S and got dusted. I'd jump out in front of him but he'd fly by me each time. He suggested dumping the ESC and the controller and "maybe" keeping the motor so I took his advice.

I've since switched to the MMX8S and the Castle 1717-1650KV motor. Doing my little testing as I write this. Also switched out the DX5 Pro for a Futaba. Gonna see how it goes as I try to find the right gearing and the right tire package for how I run (street/pavement with light off-road; no jumps). Right now I got the Sweeps Terrain Crushers on it and they perform great but they're a bit heavy and I want something BELTED that's lighter...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I run hoons,grp and 2.8 badlands the newer ones. Diff fluid is 100/500/60 performs great but many drop to 30k in rear

I got 80mph with 1250/max6 with 27/34. The motor was still very cool after bashing for couple of minutes. To reach 100mph you will need 38 pinion with 34 spur.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back