Felony Spektrum 8s esc and castle motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john 8s

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
Spektrum 8s esc with castle1650 kv good idea thought or suggestions

WELL ,i bought a felony with the 8s combo and a 32t pinion.loving it at 90mph.just wanting a little more .thought a little more kv would be nice.i am not opposed to get the mmx8s 1650 combo,just seeing what my options are.

The MMX8S would be a step up. However...I've said this many times before and I'll give you the same advice. The MMX8S has high ripple voltage and will need a decent cap pack. For the same price you can get an XLX2 which doesn't need one and will give you 200A+ more power capability. The stock setup will require a little bit of modification to make it fit, but it can be done. I got the MMX8S first myself and it didn't take that long before I wished I had spend the extra few dollars to get the XLX2. But that's just me, YMMV. You say you want a little more now...you'll, more than likely, want a little more later. And a little more after that. My recommendation would be to get the XLX2 if you have the coin, but the MMX8S is a very capable ESC as well.

thank you,i have been doing some research on this forum and reading different posts.im not new to rc,just new to the arrma side of vehichles and electronics.so right now i run 8s ,32tpinion in a pps mount.i do have a 35t i am going to try this weekend as long as the weather holds out.temps on motor and esc are good with the 32t.

Castle isn’t the only game in town if you’re looking for a little more oomph. TP Power motors work well too and you can find something that works with your Firma 160 ESC. A 4050 sized TP Power would fit without having to flip the motor mount.

Thank you for replies. I have been looking at tp and Poseidon motors also. With spektrum 8s esc already having a cap pack,i am just wondering how much it can handle even though the box said 100mph capable.

Thank you for replies. I have been looking at tp and Poseidon motors also. With spektrum 8s esc already having a cap pack,i am just wondering how much it can handle even though the box said 100mph capable.
The Spektrum should be good for somewhere around 105-110mph. This has nothing to do with the cap pack mind you. That's just the amp limit of the ESC that will cut you off.

So the cap pack is like a fail safe? I have one on an castle xlx , one of the old style and 800 kv in my gas converted to electric redcat rampage. The guy that did my solder job said I should a cap pack and i didn’t question it as I was new to the hobby back then. I have it though I don’t use it as much as it’s huge to haul around

What the cap pack does it reduce ripple voltage by storing energy as a buffer to smooth out voltage modulation under heavy load. It helps to protect the ESC as a primary function, but they also help the batteries. The first XLX and MMX8S both have high voltage ripple values without a cap pack. As a general rule of thumb, you want ripple voltage to be lower than 10% of total voltage, lower than 5% is optimal. Castle provides ripple voltage values in their data logging.

A capacitor is a device that can release its stored energy very quickly and think of it as something that can supplement energy when there is a sudden demand. But in the sizes that are in a car, it can’t supplement energy for very long so it’s only good for very short spikes. It has nothing to do with the average current draw of a motor and the ability of the ESC to supply that.

Good info thank you. I never really thought about these kinds of things until I started to push my cars hard. I started wit an erevo 80 mph stock, just big gearing. Rustler 4x4 big gears Poseidon 2650, mamba monster on 5s=flames

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back