Spektrum battery charging question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCKYE99

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hey! so quick question i think i can post this on here at least i hope so i have this bundle https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMXPS6 it comes with the 2 spektrum 5000mah 3s 50c lipos and the spektrum dual 100 watt charger how much amps can i charge these batteries at i have acceses to each amp so each side of the battery can go up to 25 amps but it will only let me go to 12 on each of the batteries is that okay if i charge them both at 12 amps each i did that because i thought well the charger can charge up to like 20 amps per battery i think but if it limits it to 12 each i thought that meant that i can do that because its smart tech or should i lower it and also the longer you charge it the amp goes down auto so is it ok or not should i charge them at a lower amp or is 12 fine sorry for the horrible grammar and spelling i just did this in a rush

Hey! so quick question i think i can post this on here at least i hope so i have this bundle https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMXPS6 it comes with the 2 spektrum 5000mah 3s 50c lipos and the spektrum dual 100 watt charger how much amps can i charge these batteries at i have acceses to each amp so each side of the battery can go up to 25 amps but it will only let me go to 12 on each of the batteries is that okay if i charge them both at 12 amps each i did that because i thought well the charger can charge up to like 20 amps per battery i think but if it limits it to 12 each i thought that meant that i can do that because its smart tech or should i lower it and also the longer you charge it the amp goes down auto so is it ok or not should i charge them at a lower amp or is 12 fine sorry for the horrible grammar and spelling i just did this in a rush
dude 12 amps will cause fires. 5 amp max. 1000mah equals 1 amp charge. So 5000mah would be 5 amp. It's refered to as 1c charging. Going higher then 5 amp will damage the battery.

dude 12 amps will cause fires. 5 amp max. 1000mah equals 1 amp charge. So 5000mah would be 5 amp. It's refered to as 1c charging. Going higher then 5 amp will damage the battery.
ok thanks i charged them once at 12 amps do you think it will be fine i just opened the box last night and charged them at 12 amps but im only charging them at 5 amps from now on

ok thanks i charged them once at 12 amps do you think it will be fine i just opened the box last night and charged them at 12 amps but im only charging them at 5 amps from now on
keep an eye on them, check the internal resistance on them while you charge. Any signs of puffy cells then toss em. I'm really surprised you didn't pop them while charging.

Oh and one thing sorry if I’m being very annoying but is it ok per each cell to be charged at 4.20 volts each that’s just what the charger did when I first plugged it in

Oh and one thing sorry if I’m being very annoying but is it ok per each cell to be charged at 4.20 volts each that’s just what the charger did when I first plugged it in
4.20 for charge and 3.85 for storage. Now to storage discharge my charger auto picks the correct amps so I'm not 100 percent sure what to tell you to set yours at. Mine never goes above 1 amp usually .6 -.8 amps

Not necessarily. While it is “best” to charge at 1C, many batteries, like these, are rated for higher charge cycles. In the case of this particular battery it is rated at 3C max charge, so 15 amps. Documentation HERE under “more specification”.

So while repetitive charging at 12 amps, less than 2.5C, will probably shorten the long term battery life, it certainly was not likely to do any damage as a one time thing, and many charge at higher rates with some frequency.

Last edited:
Back