Spektrum DX3 and Firma ESC 150 in Infraction v1- Lost Radio Range, Why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Fam...

Need to know if I did something wrong. I have the Infraction v1 and I replaced the OEM ESC and radio with the same DX3 as my Felony and ESC which is the Firma 150 as the Felony in the Infraction v1.

I did bind and calibrate all were successful. I do have the antenna running to the top of the black antenna straw. I even pulled a more when I lost range to have about 1/2 to 1/3 coming out the top. When I say the loss of range like a semi-truck length or a little past that. When it goes out of range or loss it....the Infraction stops. I have to run or get closer to it for it to get a signal from the hand remote.

Did I do something wrong, what am I missing or need to check?

I looked at it closely and I do see a small bend in the antenna...what do you all think. If this is an issue....is it possible to replace a receiver antenna on the 6110?

IMG_20201022_193218.jpg
IMG_20201022_193307.jpg
IMG_20201022_193333.jpg

Antennas are very fragile. It appears that most are replaceable.

Thx for the reply....so I know you cannot give a 100% answer but if there is a bend or something like that in the antenna as fragile as they are...you are saying this is highly possible what I am seeing?

Yes, that antenna is toast, you have a broken the internal dielectric insulation. Keep in mind that this is a coaxial cable, except for the last little stub which is the core aka antenna. Damaging the surrounding plastic core imbalances the RF signal which results in loss of range. There is no repairing or similar but you should be able to buy a new antenna, alternatively deal with the lesser range.

These should work if they are in stock anywhere. It's a small push-on connector inside the RX, easy to replace.

https://www.amazon.com/Spektrum-Replacement-Antennas-SPM4648-SPM4648ANT/dp/B01IRYO3MQ

Well Do u usually have the black cover on it?
Yes all my rigs have the black tube to protect the antenna
Yes, that antenna is toast, you have a broken the internal dielectric insulation. Keep in mind that this is a coaxial cable, except for the last little stub which is the core aka antenna. Damaging the surrounding plastic core imbalances the RF signal which results in loss of range. There is no repairing or similar but you should be able to buy a new antenna, alternatively deal with the lesser range.

These should work if they are in stock anywhere. It's a small push-on connector inside the RX, easy to replace.

https://www.amazon.com/Spektrum-Replacement-Antennas-SPM4648-SPM4648ANT/dp/B01IRYO3MQ

Thank you! Appreciate the link I will order and research on how to open the rx to replace. This helps....and try be more careful.

It's 4 TINY phillips screws on the bottom. Probably a sticker on one side holding it together. Very simple.
Antenna pops off with another screwdriver, just be very gentle. If you damage the board it's toast.

It's 4 TINY phillips screws on the bottom. Probably a sticker on one side holding it together. Very simple.
Antenna pops off with another screwdriver, just be very gentle. If you damage the board it's toast.

I took it out.....I WISH it was a phillips. What the hell is smaller than 1.5mm allen which is the smallest that I have. There are 4 tiny, tiny allen screws in the 6110 rx box holding it together... think there is 1.5, 1.27, 1.3, 0.9mm allens whatever it is which I do not know the size I need to get something smaller than 1.5mm hex to open the rx box ?

Oh poop, they must have changed screws. That is just silly, I know my 6100AT has Phillips but haven't checked the 6110AT in my Infraction, maybe they changed numbers just for the screws

Props to Horizon Hobby....

I sent an email stating that I kinked my rx cable and only asked for the part number for the antenna. They offered to send me a courtesy antenna for replacement since they do not sell that part separately and is normally part of a repair when sent in. Or, I could mail mine in and they replace it for me. I sent it in since I did not have the tool to open the rx back...end up being a 1.27mm hex wrench I did not have.

I am back in business and now have long-range. I see where I messed up. On the Infraction, the black antenna tube I was trying to push it further down since the lock screw was not holding it tight. There is a bottom to where you place the black tube for the antenna and I was smashing at the bottom with the tube base. I drilled out the bottom base and cut a slot where I could slide the antenna in. Now I can push the tube down snug and the antenna freely rolls out from the bottom.

I do not know what the red antenna looking thing is for tho....
IMG_20201027_192459.jpg

Props to Horizon!
The red cable is not an antenna, it connects to the sensor ports on the receiver. RX has a port for temperature and voltage. This is most likely the one that connects to the voltage port. You would be able to read this over telemetry.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back