Felony Spektrum DX5C and have a SRS6000 receiver Felony servo went up in smoke any ideas why

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Learo2000GT

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
So I bought a used Felony and the prior user shaged me and took the Spektrum Electronics out of it so I bought a DX5C and have an SRS6000 receiver. I also got the speed programmer programming box and the night before was messing around with that and only 3 things I can think is I set the BEC to 7.4 and it should of been 6, or I set the timing speed wrong on my controller, or i hooked it up backward in the ESC not paying attention.

Any recommendations for a good servo that is the same height and length and under 100 bucks? I would like to know why I smoked it so i don't make the same mistake twice. One last question should I get the firmware cable updater for the controller? Looks like that is the only way to update the controller and receiver.
Thanks

Firmware is up to you, only needed like you said if a feature you want in a newer firmware revision. Otherwise id leave it be. DS servos on amazon are what most of us use 25 to 35kg for around 30 bucks.

DS3225kg from Amazon.

Servo does not smoke by reversing, it will simply do nothing.
ESC default is 7.4V and you could set it to 6V i.e. that didn't do it either.

Could have been just a bad servo, not the first time one of these went up in smoke for no visible reason. Had a PowerHD doing it to me not too long ago.

One last question should I get the firmware cable updater for the controller? Looks like that is the only way to update the controller and receiver.
Thanks

If you're going to get into the Spektrum ecosphere then yes, by all means, get the SPMA3065 cable. You can register your transmitters and receivers through the application without having to type in the serial number for each product and Spektrum is releasing updates regularly. In fact, they released an update to the DX5 controllers about two weeks ago. I used the cable to update my transmitters in about 10 minutes.

Thanks. All. Any recommendations for a new good service. Savox or soothing similar with same dimensions? Thanks in advance.

What servo did you have in there - the ADS-15M? And was that the only thing smoked?
Yup.... almost burned a hole through the side of the case.
Is this the servo you are talking about? Correct size? Amazon.com: Hexfly Servo 25K Metal Gear Waterproof Servo: Toys & Games Thanks
What servo did you have in there - the ADS-15M? And was that the only thing smoked?
Yes and yes
Did you set your steering end points on the transmitter?
No didnt get that far
Firmware is up to you, only needed like you said if a feature you want in a newer firmware revision. Otherwise id leave it be. DS servos on amazon are what most of us use 25 to 35kg for around 30 bucks.
Do you happen to have a link to the 35K... I am trying to compare dimensions and want to make sure I get the correct one..... thanks so much

Last edited:
I'll have to check out the DX5 update. Missed it.
I am not saying there is an update. I just got my new controller and was trying to register it with the serial number on the screen and that didn't work so i couldn't tell if there were updates or not........ Thanks so much for the help.... newbie to this platform so learning a lot... thanks

No didnt get that

You do that before you run it. Always. If you don’t, you risk the servo trying to force the steering farther than it can go, heating it up, draining power, and burning out a servo. Like you did.

Yes, it should be set properly from the factory, but some are not. You should always always do this before you run any news RC and when you make a change or reset anything with the radio, steering, servo, or ESC.

Lots of people also just fiddle with the little knob or mistake it for trim. Always check it prior a run if you have knobs. Other TX transferred those settings to a menu and it's less prone to accidental adjustments.

Lots of people also just fiddle with the little knob or mistake it for trim. Always check it prior a run if you have knobs. Other TX transferred those settings to a menu and it's less prone to accidental adjustments.
Thanks for the heads up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back