spektrum DX5R or DX5 PRO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason inman

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. 4x4-Mega
  3. BigRock 4x4
im looking at trading up my older spektrum DX3R PRO radio transmitter. this transmitter has served me well for many years. id like to upgrade to a diffrent transmitter because my buttons and menu scroll wheel is getting worn out plus i just want a more updated unit. can anyone tell me if i should get the dx5r or the dx5 pro. the diffrence is $239 for the 5r and $299 for the 5pro thats with the included receivers and such not transmitter alone. thanks guys

I really like my dx6r. I don’t use half of its functions probably, but it is super responsive and it is geek factor :geek:
F5AEECE8-7E3B-4F5D-A41A-B2C2AB9FD743.jpeg

i settled for the DX5R for $239.99 came with SR6000T telemetry receiver. my LHS also has the DX5PRO and the DX5 RUGGED in stock the rugged screen was too small for my liking and couldnt see the point in paying $299 for the PRO just because it comes with 3 diffrent grips and wedges to change the angle of the steering channel wheel. and has the graphite look around the bezel of the radio. plus a tiny race receiver with no antenna. so i went with the dx5r and to be totally honest im tring to figure out why i upgraded radio systems in the first place. don't see a whole lot of diffrence from my DX3R PRO!!! but oh well whats done is done. i do want to start playing around with the avc functionality a little bit so i thjink that was the motivation behind the upgrade

I really want to upgrade to a spectrum but I want to be able to use it on all my trucks and the receivers are expensive. I don't want to have to pay over $50 a car just to use it.

I really want to upgrade to a spectrum but I want to be able to use it on all my trucks and the receivers are expensive. I don't want to have to pay over $50 a car just to use it.
if you get the newest DSMR transmitters you can buy the SR215 or or SR210 2 channel receivers are $29.99 and you can also run the DSM2 SR3100 3 channel receivers which are like $15.00 each for the generic ones sometimes authentic. so really its not that expensive for what your gaining. the SR310 is 3 channel $39.99 and SR410 is 4 channel $49.99

Last edited:
if you get the newest DSMR transmitters you can buy the SR215 or or SR210 2 channel receivers are $29.99 and you can also run the DSM2 SR3100 3 channel receivers which are like $15.00 each for the generic ones sometimes authentic. so really its not that expensive for what your gaining. the SR310 is 3 channel $39.99 and SR410 is 4 channel $49.99
WOW that sounds a lot better. Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

i settled for the DX5R for $239.99 came with SR6000T telemetry receiver. my LHS also has the DX5PRO and the DX5 RUGGED in stock the rugged screen was too small for my liking and couldnt see the point in paying $299 for the PRO just because it comes with 3 diffrent grips and wedges to change the angle of the steering channel wheel. and has the graphite look around the bezel of the radio. plus a tiny race receiver with no antenna. so i went with the dx5r and to be totally honest im tring to figure out why i upgraded radio systems in the first place. don't see a whole lot of diffrence from my DX3R PRO!!! but oh well whats done is done. i do want to start playing around with the avc functionality a little bit so i thjink that was the motivation behind the upgrade

I am looking at upgrading from a DX3C. But my question is, did you (anyone) consider Futaba? I am just a bit underwhelmed by all the radios on the market right now. Spektrums with the Servo issues has made me rethink Spektrum. But Futaba feels overpriced. Thoughts?

^^^MOA?
My NB4 is nice. And Rx's are realistic $$. I like it. Fancy. Mega rechargeable battery life also. My RC6GS has best range for my Speed runner. I know it is not considered high end at all. Still has more features than one could use. Rx's are also cheap and well made.
I have a DX5c. I am done with Spektrum to be honest and in retrospect. Servos cost more than they should. All of them. I am sure Spektrum is fine for others. I don't like how their F/W is setup. How you have to be registered to install it and even know if an update is available. Waste of time. (n)(n)I def. would not spend more $$ investing in a higher end Spektrum. I came , saw and moved on.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back