Spektrum Firma 100A ESC doesn't work with Savox SB-2274SG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pro modeler actually lists amp draw at stall
I have the DS630 and it's awesome. I only moved to futaba because I'm running a full futaba set up
Savox are known to be power hogs
https://www.promodeler.com/DS630BLHV
The carbon pots on these servos are prone to failure extremely quick and lack accurate centering. Use at your own risk.
Something here seems off, unloaded you would think that receiver and ESC could handle some basic movement....

EDIT:

https://www.savoxusa.com/products/savsb2274sg-high-voltage-brushless-digital#technical-details

• Running Current (no load): 180mA @6.0V, 220mA @7.4V
  • Stall Current (at locked): 6000mA @6.0V, 7400mA @7.4V
  • Operating Travel: 100° (1000 → 2000 µ second)
Stall current at 6amps is too much for that receiver and ESC. You need an external BEC.

You could retest with a proper external BEC to confirm. Servo does sound a bit raspy though.
Stall current is not to be taken as the definitive hard point in which to measure servo current draw as these situations are generally not achieved even through hard bashing due to the built in give on servo saver designs. Realistically, you can expect a maximum of around 3ish amps. Servo models like the Hitec 7950TH that have been used successfully in bashers for years have a stall current of 10 amps but you will seldom see realistic current figures above 3-4 amps at the most and most modern ESC BEC's have no trouble powering this unit.

The carbon pots on these servos are prone to failure extremely quick and lack accurate centering. Use at your own risk.

Stall current is not to be taken as the definitive hard point in which to measure servo current draw as these situations are generally not achieved even through hard bashing due to the built in give on servo saver designs. Realistically, you can expect a maximum of around 3ish amps. Servo models like the Hitec 7950TH that have been used successfully in bashers for years have a stall current of 10 amps but you will seldom see realistic current figures above 3-4 amps at the most and most modern ESC BEC's have no trouble powering this unit.
Carbon pots failing on which servos?
Futaba or promodeler?
Can you provide a link? Both are considered to be excellent servos…

Oh well! Given an external BEC install involves quite loads of soldering around, I ll probably pass on this servo and see if I can get smth that just works with the Spektrum firma 100 :/

Carbon pots failing on which servos?
Futaba or promodeler?
Can you provide a link? Both are considered to be excellent servos…
Just the fact that Futaba is used competitively and PM chooses to attack other brands and has absolutely no competitive use is evidence enough for me. PM is known for the carbon pot issue- Amazon specials are higher performing. In the airplane market, they are not considered reputable and the owner chooses to argue and berate people in public who don't like his product.

Just the fact that Futaba is used competitively and PM chooses to attack other brands and has absolutely no competitive use is evidence enough for me. PM is known for the carbon pot issue- Amazon specials are higher performing. In the airplane market, they are not considered reputable and the owner chooses to argue and berate people in public who don't like his product.
So because futaba is used competively makes it bad somehow??! Not a compelling argument if you ask me. Expensive and not worth it? That I can understand….

Most people here seem to love PM and John is argumentative but that doesn’t mean the servos are bad. I’ve had amazon specials and I find them to be far inferior…

It is the Amp draw that causes a Brownout. ESC not having enough BEC Amp Overhead. What is the BEC amp spec for your ESC?
Many Savox Servos are Amp hogs. A Cap plugged into an open Rx port might work, Might not. I have purchased a few Savox Servos that came with a Cap, included for this reason
Not a fan of Savox. I don't buy them anymore. Why should you jump through hoops to install a Basic servo anyway???
PM is an AIR RC Servo brand. They don't even test them on Surface RC rigs.
Some could argue , that a servo is a servo, if it meets your specs.
They "claim" to use Japan precision Motors and Potentiometers. Like Futaba does, FWIW.
If a PM servo, or any brand requires a Separate BEC, then you got the wrong servo there. With basher rigs, that is just futile. More like a bandaid, not having the proper servo.
I run DS3235sg 35 kg servos from AMZ. (9 of them in all)

Last edited:
Well to be fair he recommends a separate power source to get the max out of the servo, ie 8.4 v with clean amperage. Ds630s and below run fine on hw max 6 @7.4 v and 6 A but you’re leaving performance on the table which would be true of any high voltage servo. An xlx2 can provide 8.4 v and 20 A but other electronics may burn up at 8.4….

Futaba cb700/cb701 are no bec servos and they’re pretty awesome so I think it’s an overstatement saying that any servo that requires a separate bec is the “wrong servo”. High torque servos require a lot of power and that means higher voltage and more amperage….

Whether or not it’s necessary or worth the money is a separate question.

Oh this escalated quickly. I don't feel knowledgeable enough to argue on this matter. I was putting bigger and reasonably heavier tires on my Vorteks and so wanted a new servo. I thought, I want smth strong and fast, so later, probably would also get into bigger rigs if needed(since stock servo still work anyway).

I found this servo fitting my needs(20-30kg torque 6-8.4v, and 0.10s-0.07s speed) but I never thought about the amperage stuff. If the small bec anti glitcher solves it, fine, otherwise I either go for a new servo, or I might even put in a new motor/esc combo. My problem w that is that from what I ve sern, that d also need soldering because those hw combos come w the new capacitors on the side (like ppl would be running them on 2s :| ) .

Can you advise me? I like the idea of making my Vorteks a 4s monster. So maybe this would be my chance to start? Would the hw 4s compatible combos ESC have enough juice to power this servo?

Or can you suggest me other servos that can do 25+kg torque on 0.08s 7.4v ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back