Spektrum Firma 100A ESC doesn't work with Savox SB-2274SG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bukshypro

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon TLR
  3. Vorteks
I sent back one of these servos, modelsport said it worked well for them but they still sent me a new one. now the new one does the same thing, it lags and just falls behind when testing. I already set my ESC to 7.4A BEC voltage, but it still can't work with the servo.
any ideas?
link to Spektrum Firma 100A ESC https://www.spektrumrc.com/product/firma-100a-brushless-smart-esc-3s/SPMXSE1100.html
link to Savox SB2274SG https://www.savoxusa.com/products/savsb2274sg-high-voltage-brushless-digital#technical-details
any hacks or anything I can do to make this work? I can't see any technical details or specs on neither of the above to say that these 2 wouldn't work together :/

Link to vid, see how sometimes it lags behind. Its exact same behaviour as the previous servo. So its not the servo, its probably the ESC

Last edited:
Do any other servos exhibit this characteristic when plugged into the same components?

Here's something that might help:

"*NOTE: Certain combinations of receiver and ESC have been found to cause "Brown Out" issues when combined with Savox servos. An external BEC, or BEC stabilizing receiver capacitor may be needed for efficient, glitch free operation in low voltage electric applications."

I wonder if this is the case.

I think you're right..

Something like this >

1671824984043.png

Sorry people. I live in UK so no amain for me. I am ordering it from modelsport, they got 1

You could easily DIY yourself a couple of them..

Just need some JR connectors
and
10V 4500uf capacitors

IMG_20221223_144309512.jpg

IMG_20221223_144405989.jpg

IMG_20221223_144732550.jpg

Last edited:
I would be leery of running a servo that shows signs of browning out with no load on it. You may have to run an external BEC with this.

I would be leery of running a servo that shows signs of browning out with no load on it. You may have to run an external BEC with this.

And just to offer a counter viewpoint on that matter..

Some ESC offers better BEC circuitry and could provide more voltage to higher performance servos.. (since that servo is spec-ed as High Voltage..)
The only way for OP to test now would be to connect his new Savox to another ESC (preferably a 150A or 185A unit?) to see if he's getting the similar issues.

Something here seems off, unloaded you would think that receiver and ESC could handle some basic movement....

EDIT:

https://www.savoxusa.com/products/savsb2274sg-high-voltage-brushless-digital#technical-details

• Running Current (no load): 180mA @6.0V, 220mA @7.4V
  • Stall Current (at locked): 6000mA @6.0V, 7400mA @7.4V
  • Operating Travel: 100° (1000 → 2000 µ second)
Stall current at 6amps is too much for that receiver and ESC. You need an external BEC.

You could retest with a proper external BEC to confirm. Servo does sound a bit raspy though.

Last edited:
Something here seems off, unloaded you would think that receiver and ESC could handle some basic movement....

Well maybe..
Either the servo itself just naturally draws/demands more voltage to begin with ,or the BEC is not able to keep up with this servo.

Granted this New replacement servo 'could' be faulty too.

Well maybe..
Either the servo itself just naturally draws/demands more voltage to begin with ,or the BEC is not able to keep up with this servo.

Granted this New replacement servo 'could' be faulty too.
The servo is not faulty tho, since even the previous one I sent back was tested and worked just fine.

So now my question is, does that BEC glitch buster is the thing you call external BEC ? So will that fix ?

You are going to need an external BEC for a 6Amp Servo

I finally picked up one of those JX servo's that Kevin Talbot likes, not bad and works on stock components. An external BEC allows you run higher amperage devices like this particular servo. It will essentially provide power to the device while allow control from the receiver. Let me try to find one for you as an example.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back