Spektrum Firma 6S 150 amp ESCS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motp4tj1

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Notorious
  3. Vendetta
What are the differences between the Firma 6s ESC? I see one of these has capacitors on it on the wires and the other one doesn't. Is the one with the capacitors better? Or are they the same. Thanks

2555F55C-C9BB-4818-A6F7-C6F1EE34EF30.jpeg

FA21761F-207F-4BA3-9CE4-1DB771702486.jpeg

The cap pack is the only difference between the two. In theory the one with the cap pack should be better.

That being said unless you absolutely need the Smart features I would get a Hobbywing esc instead.

Must have something to do with the revision numbers on the bottom. The ones I have are marked V3 and have caps. And here I was assuming it was just firmware. Adding a cap pack is easy enough if you have issues.

The cap pack is the only difference between the two. In theory the one with the cap pack should be better.

That being said unless you absolutely need the Smart features I would get a Hobbywing esc instead.
+1
Those Firma ESC's with the Firma Cap pack, appears to be a liability for many. Even a fire with one member here recently. These Firma Cap packs also have very thin wire gauge, which goes against the rule of properly using the same wire guage as the Lipo power leads when adding any Cap Pack. Cap packs normally get hot FWIW.
And the Soldering joints appear poorly mfr'ed. because these Cap pack wires are known to break.
The Firma ESC's like all ESC's already have Capacitors on PCB. So, the Add-On Cap pack is perhaps not needed for some applications. Generally for Speed Run aplications. For 90% of regular basher rigs, it is Not needed. Unless perhaps in Spektrums Firma ESC's they are used because they had performance issues. And adding this Cap Pack was a post design band-Aid. IMHO.
Look to HW at a minimum, if your budget allows. I you really want or feel you need a Cap pack get a quality Upgrade one with the appropriate Specs for your rig, using proper guage wires.
Setting them up requires decent soldering skills for which there is no substitue otherwise. This is a whole different topic. Found elshwere on AF.
:cool:

Last edited:
+1
Those Firma ESC's with the Firma Cap pack, appears to be a liability for many. Even a fire with one member here recently. These Firma Cap packs also have very thin wire gauge, which goes against the rule of properly using the same wire guage as the Lipo power leads when adding any Cap Pack. Cap packs normally get hot FWIW.
And the Soldering joints appear poorly mfr'ed. because these Cap pack wires are known to break.
The Firma ESC's like all ESC's already have Capacitors on PCB. So, the Add-On Cap pack is perhaps not needed for some applications. Generally for Speed Run aplications. For 90% of regular basher rigs, it is Not needed. Unless perhaps in Spektrums Firma ESC's they are used because they had performance issues. And adding this Cap Pack was a post design band-Aid. IMHO.
Look to HW at a minimum, if your budget allows. I you really want or feel you need a Cap pack get a quality Upgrade one with the appropriate Specs for your rig, using proper guage wires.
Setting them up requires decent soldering skills for which there is no substitue otherwise. This is a whole different topic. Found elshwere on AF.
:cool:
Aren't the Hobbywing counterparts cheaper?

Wire gauge on cap packs is not that important, we are not dealing with high currents over long periods. Many go overboard to keep the wire resistance down, which is important for sped runs but not on these ESC.
Price, I can typically find the used Firmas' a lot cheaper than Hobbywing and I do like the SMART stuff with the DX5. Otherwise, I wouldn't get them either.
They have been reliable for myself.

Older thread I know but any updates on this? I have a Firma150 and noticed one of the external caps is dented.. I was looking to replace the caps then stumbled across this thread.

The older version without the additional pack is intriguing. The caps do help keep inductance down to prevent voltage spikes.

Now wondering if I should remove them?

Keep them, I replaced some caps on mine as well. Very possible that they used bigger internal ESC caps and don't need external on the other ESC. Hard to tell but they are there to prevent spikes during high load events and the ESC will get damaged.

Keep them, I replaced some caps on mine as well. Very possible that they used bigger internal ESC caps and don't need external on the other ESC. Hard to tell but they are there to prevent spikes during high load events and the ESC will get damaged.

That is a good point! I will see what I can come up with. This pack is done 😀

20230218_123110.jpg

What are the differences between the Firma 6s ESC? I see one of these has capacitors on it on the wires and the other one doesn't. Is the one with the capacitors better? Or are they the same. Thanks
The Firma 6s ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) is a product line from Horizon Hobby that is designed for use in RC vehicles, such as cars and trucks. There are different versions of the Firma 6s ESC, and the differences between them can depend on various factors such as the application, the specific model, and any additional features or components that are included.

One of the differences you may have noticed between some versions of the Firma 6s ESC is the presence or absence of capacitors on the wires. Capacitors are electronic components that can help to smooth out voltage fluctuations and noise in the electrical circuit. In an ESC, capacitors are typically used to reduce the amount of electrical noise that can be generated by the motor, which can improve performance and reduce the risk of damage to the ESC or other components.

The presence of capacitors on the wires of an ESC may indicate that the ESC has been designed to provide improved performance or reliability, but this may not always be the case. It is possible that different versions of the Firma 6s ESC are simply designed for different applications or use cases, and the presence of capacitors may be more or less important depending on the specific requirements of the user.

If you are considering purchasing a Firma 6s ESC, it may be a good idea to research the specific model and any additional features or components that are included.

If anyone has an old "capacitorless" version and pops the top let us know what size capacitors are in there, I can compare with you. (y)

Thanks! Side profile: I am surprised it didn't explode. Arrma Tough!

20230219_092019.jpg

FYI here are the capacitors on the BLX185 and the Firma 150. They are the same.

20230224_195349.jpg

20230224_192617.jpg
20230224_195908.jpg

Makes me wonder if they really are needed on the Firma 150 or if Horizons push for the stock high timing required them?... Longer power wires?... hmmm

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back