Spektrum firma cogging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Notorious
My brother has a senton mega that he upgraded to brushless but has been having issues. He bought the hobby wing max 10 but it overheated and returned. I feel like he got a bad one from Amazon but not sure. Now he installed a spektrum firma 85a esc and 3300kv motor but is having bad cogging. To the point if it is uphill slightly the truck will stop working and need to be reset. He is using a 16 tooth pinion and 57 tooth spur gear. The guys at hobby town checked his mesh and said this gearing would be right for the tires he has which is the duratrax six pack belted tires. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.amainhobbies.com/spektr...bJInnQQcQOvcIJaR451HLErix96OirR0aApe2EALw_wcB

He said the motor rotates fine, he did just take apart the power module and find that the spur had rubbed against the plastic casing and melted some of it. maybe that's the problem?

He said the motor rotates fine, he did just take apart the power module and find that the spur had rubbed against the plastic casing and melted some of it. maybe that's the problem?
I dunno. I found that in both our trucks. It's worth it to clean out the shavings every so often because they can fiddlestick up your bearings you leave em in there.

I read threads on here about shimming the slipper clutch assembly to stop that but I never did it. I figured it would wear itself a groove eventually.

I am certain the two blown motor bearings we have had on the trucks came from other dirt getting into the power module. One motor lasted 8 months with some pretty heavy abuse, the other 6 months also heavily abused: running hot and flat out a lot and also blasting through some serious mud and fine gravel.

Check your bullets if they are still soldered to the wires. Sounds like a bad solderjoint either on the motor or the ESC bullet.

Just out of curiosity, was it the max10 or the max10sct he was running?

But on a good note, my big rock is faster than my brothers nitro tmaxx just on 2s haha, he was not happy about that 😝

My brother has a senton mega that he upgraded to brushless but has been having issues. He bought the hobby wing max 10 but it overheated and returned. I feel like he got a bad one from Amazon but not sure. Now he installed a spektrum firma 85a esc and 3300kv motor but is having bad cogging. To the point if it is uphill slightly the truck will stop working and need to be reset. He is using a 16 tooth pinion and 57 tooth spur gear. The guys at hobby town checked his mesh and said this gearing would be right for the tires he has which is the duratrax six pack belted tires. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.amainhobbies.com/spektr...bJInnQQcQOvcIJaR451HLErix96OirR0aApe2EALw_wcB

Ever get this issue solved? Currently have the same issue with my kids typhon mega. Went to Spektrum 3300 and it won’t move at all on grass. Hesitated to even move, then takes off. Tried a new Spektrum today. Didn’t work. Now have hobbywing max10 still doing the same. Tried batteries, reprogramming. Change battery connectors for more current. Tried different radios. Got nothing.

Hrm. Something binding bad? Gear mesh okay? Motor mount is good, not bent?
Have you checked the diffs? Maybe the crown gears or inputs are mangled? Slipper clutch is good and loctite or what have you? (New ones have a lock nut I believe?
Have you checked the diffs? Maybe the crown gears or inputs are mangled? Slipper clutch is good and loctite or what have you? (New ones have a lock nut I believe?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back