Spektrum lipo vs SMC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevens4x

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
I bought the original X right when it came out 3 or 4 years ago and bought a special from SMC for (2) 3s 9500s+. I haven’t taken care of them at all and they’re so puffed I can just barely close the battery trays but even as heavy as they are they still pull wheelies and last forever. ...I ordered the “100c” spektrum 3s’s hard pack and they’ve yet to pull one wheelie and really don’t seem very powerful in contrast. Can lipos get stronger over time? Anyone have experience with the spektrums? I bought them cause of their safety features

Every single one of my Lipos ever bought has deteriorated in performance over time... so I cant see them improving, sorry..

I bought some spektrum 100c’s for my infractions. I was told that they are good batteries and should give me a good punch. Now i question if that was a good buy or not.

I think the smc packs will run circles around the spectrum packs. They don't gain power over time just a stronger pack is all. Never fall for inflated c ratings. the spectrum isn't a 100c pack i promise.

Some had stated cycling a new lipo several times gets it to its peak level and better cell matched. I could only tell on one of my new lipos. Specs showed better after the third charge. But there is no memory effect unlike outdated Nim and NiCad packs. With new lipos cell balancing for better charging after a few charge/discharge cycles may help.

I think the smc packs will run circles around the spectrum packs. They don't gain power over time just a stronger pack is all. Never fall for inflated c ratings. the spectrum isn't a 100c pack i promise.
Lol. Know what you mean. I chose the 100 cause it was their top choice. I chose Spektrum because they’re light years ahead of anyone right now in lipo safety
Some had stated cycling a new lipo several times gets it to its peak level and better cell matched. I could only tell on one of my new lipos. Specs showed better after the third charge. But there is no memory effect unlike outdated Nim and NiCad packs. With new lipos cell balancing for better charging after a few charge/discharge cycles may help.
I’m hoping so! It seems like just about anything might have some sort of break in. Hoping for that. I’ll check back in a few weeks and update.
I bought some spektrum 100c’s for my infractions. I was told that they are good batteries and should give me a good punch. Now i question if that was a good buy or not.
I should add though they are great batteries and as lipos..are way safer so that adds tons of value for me anyway. Make sure you buy the cell balancer or one of their chargers so you can set the auto-discharge. ...I have a 6s in my new Talion and it’s insane. But I’m sure any 6s would be lol. I honestly would have paid more just cause of the safety features
Every single one of my Lipos ever bought has deteriorated in performance over time... so I cant see them improving, sorry..
I’m hoping this auto discharge will keep them from puffing or at least prolong it. So many times I fully charge my batts the night before, then something happens so I can’t run em but I leave em charged. I’ve already done this with these and it works flawlessly. I set mine to discharge down to 3.8 after 3 days. Great stuff for me since my son’s room is above the garage ??

Last edited:
I can't say anything about Spektrum lipos but I have nothing but SMC 90C rated lipos in 3,4, and 6S. I'm happy with them, no gripes.

I agree with @phildogg

Sounds like you just got crappy packs from spektrum. Orrr all they have is crappy packs... that we do not know.

I've tried all kinds and none performed any differently to me, I've had the top expensive SMC and cheap ass Floureon back to back, no difference. Now I just buy the cheapest. Picked up a 4s 6000mah 50c Goldbat for $30. If it goes bad in some way I'll just get a new one. It's 1/2-1/3 the cost of SMC or the fancy Spectrum ones that also need a special charger.
Drone batteries have the smart discharge feature and still go bad, but I'm not saying it's not a good idea.

I didn’t know that about drone batteries, that’s cool. We mess around for a year or two then take a year or two off so we miss new things coming out I hope all lipos will have better safety features eventually. Even sometimes have thought about going back to nimh lol.

My wife’s real sick so we don’t sleep anymore so I’m kinda scatterbrained a lot. ...maybe the Spektrums are fine and maybe the smc’s are just awesome and underrated or rated right.

btw Our Talion is our first Arrma and it’s plain sick. We put in the 20tooth and cartwheeled it full out many times and it’s still in one piece. It’s a tank!

My spectrum 2s and 3s 50c batteries work really well. Was thinking of getting the 100c because I need 4 more 3s batteries. I also don't have any issues with wheelies. I have never had SMC so don't know. I do know that when compared to Dynamite reaction batteries the smart batteries seem to have more pep. I have new 4s gensacearespammers basher batteries I only have 3 runs on. They are new so cant honestly compare to the Traxxas 4s batteries I have but I like the power they put out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back