Spektrum Receiver Antenna Repair (Cut Wire)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCbuzz

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Senton 3s
First time attempt to repair a receiver cut wire (was cut clean through).

1. I stripped back a decent amount of the outer insulation and just a tiny bit of the center wire and soldered the center wire back together. (sorry didn't get a photo of this)
2. Used a tiny piece of black heat shrink tubing over the center wire only, taking caution to keep the outer mesh wire out of the way.
3. I was not sure I would be able to get the shielding put back in any useful way to protect the center signal wire so I cut a small strip of aluminum foil and carefully wrapped it around the repaired area (I have no idea if this will actually work, but it seems logical?).
4. Heat shrink the repair.
5. Was only able to test it at 20 feet but it worked! We shall see on a nice day how far it goes..

I opened the receiver and also found out the antenna is detachable (careful with those little screws, be gentle!). I bet I could buy a replacement somewhere.

20211106_213330.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah you don't solder these. It changes the attenuation of the signal. Becomes out of tune. Make sure you do a walking range test with a friend before you consider to bash again. I go out of my way to keep my ant lead in it's tube and capped. I leave nothing exposed. But crap happens. I tried fixing them.. But when they completey tear apart, Soldering is not the answer. Hope it works for you. The actual antenna part is the exposed un-shielded end of the ant lead. At the end of the tip.. It is spec'ed to a certain exact length. Aprox 15-20mm or so.
Spare Antennas are available in different sizes. Match your size, because the length is preset and tuned specifically to it's SWR.
Soldering alters the Impedance of the Standing Wave Ratio. Reducing signal penetration/reception.
Not expensive to find... If you have the pop-in/slide-off type on the Rx PCB like you stated. It's a 2.4 ghz spec. coax connector.

First time attempt to repair a receiver cut wire (was cut clean through).

1. I stripped back a decent amount of the outer insulation and just a tiny bit of the center wire and soldered the center wire back together. (sorry didn't get a photo of this)
2. Used a tiny piece of black heat shrink tubing over the center wire only, taking caution to keep the outer mesh wire out of the way.
3. I was not sure I would be able to get the shielding put back in any useful way to protect the center signal wire so I cut a small strip of aluminum foil and carefully wrapped it around the repaired area (I have no idea if this will actually work, but it seems logical?).
4. Heat shrink the repair.
5. Was only able to test it at 20 feet but it worked! We shall see on a nice day how far it goes..

I opened the received and also found out the antenna it detachable (careful with those little screws, be gentle!). I bet I could buy a replacement somewhere.

View attachment 178638
I could be wrong but its just a antenna wire you could open it back up & re attach a black or red wire from a old electronic

^^^^^
Yeah if it was AM or FM frequency that could work. But still has to be the same tuned length of antenna.
I doubt with High freq 2.4 Ghz that would work. Needs to be a very fine coax shielded wire of the correct guage.
Just find another new antenna. Basically much like a Wifi 2.4 antenna.

Everything Steve has said. You can still use it until new antenna is installed but test range first. Also in the future IF it happens again, twist the actual wire together and shrink wrap. try not to let the inner most wire contact the outer mesh wire. Then expose a little of the outer conductor (mesh part) at the end. Again this is just a temporary fix to keep bashing.

Soldering the shielding is ok. Just cant solder the actual core (antenna), Like @N.Mango said it's a temp. fix that may hold you over. And the the solder cannot short out the coax shield with the core. You can ruin the RX. Burn it out. It will be like having no antenna. Coax shielded portion is grounded to the PCB. It cannot touch the Core (Center lead)! The RX will have no load. This burns up the Rx. The PCB will generate a signal in Milliwatts and have no where to go. Heat developes.

They will look "something" like this below.. Measure your old one and find ones that are exact or close in length. If has to be slightly longer, It's better. Not shorter than what is original. Need to match the exact connector. Look closely when shopping. There are several types that look similar but are not.Many guys do this and can save an otherwise good Rx. Always use an antenna tube with the cap and even use Heat shrink over the cap. What I do. I used to brick my antennas too, being sloppy with them. . Now I am very careful. Even a nicked or crushed ant. leaded can affect signal range and/or cause glitching. Loss of control sucks. Been there.

https://www.amazon.com/DGZZI-Receiv...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451665865708&psc=1

Last edited:
Soldering the shielding is ok. Just cant solder the actual core (antenna), Like @N.Mango said it's a temp. fix that may hold you over. And the the solder cannot short out the coax shield with the core. You can ruin the RX. Burn out.
Yea i said twist cause if i tried that small solder i would mess it up. hahaha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back