Spektrum Receiver Aux port for LED bar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzyg

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
I have a Fireteam and just getting back into RC after 35 years off!
Running stock everything for now (until I break something lol). However I did a HB Delete (remove handbrake)
I am thinking about adding a small led light bar to help driving at night. Not sure about the draw but should be minimal.
I downloaded the manuals for the electronics and reviewed them to be better informed of my options.

Questions:
1. Can I wire up the light bar to just plug into the stock Spektrum SR315 receiver on the aux power port that the handbrake was previously in? (I think yes)

2. How would I program the Spektrum SLT3 controller to turn the light on and off with the A/B button? ( I want it to be push once for on and once for off, like A is on and B is off or A is on and then A again is off. I do NOT want to hold the A or B button for the light to stay on). The manual says it is a momentary switch, so if it isn't possible, then I would just have to hard wire a switch on the Fireteam to turn the lights on and off. If it is a momentary switch, AND I have the lights plugged into that port where the HB was in previously, then would it be safe to assume that the A/B switch on the controller would turn the lights off (or on) momentarily when pushing the A and/or B button? may have to do some trial and error. I thought I read somewhere that it was programmed differently, but that may have been a dream. ha.

Also, please post link to led's/light bars they like or a reputable place to buy them from.

Thanks in advance.

The ESC aux port is used for the fan allready as it is still stock.

Running stock everything for now (until I break something lol). However I did a HB Delete (remove handbrake)
I am thinking about adding a small led light bar to help driving at night. Not sure about the draw but should be minimal.
I downloaded the manuals for the electronics and reviewed them to be better informed of my options.

Questions:
1. Can I wire up the light bar to just plug into the stock Spektrum SR315 receiver on the aux power port that the handbrake was previously in? (I think yes)

2. How would I program the Spektrum SLT3 controller to turn the light on and off with the A/B button? ( I want it to be push once for on and once for off, like A is on and B is off or A is on and then A again is off. I do NOT want to hold the A or B button for the light to stay on). The manual says it is a momentary switch, so if it isn't possible, then I would just have to hard wire a switch on the Fireteam to turn the lights on and off. If it is a momentary switch, AND I have the lights plugged into that port where the HB was in previously, then would it be safe to assume that the A/B switch on the controller would turn the lights off (or on) momentarily when pushing the A and/or B button? may have to do some trial and error. I thought I read somewhere that it was programmed differently, but that may have been a dream. ha.

Also, please post link to led's/light bars they like or a reputable place to buy them from.

Thanks in advance.

Yes you can
Yes you can
Channel 3 on mine works great.
Yes you can

Channel 3 on mine works great.
I have a v3 Big Rock so my transmitter is different .I use channel 3 as a switch.not sure about yours.so happens that channel 3 was open and not being used as it's a option so I use it for my lights.the other lights I have I'm using a separate battery box so my wires don't get in the way when I remove the body cover.battery box is installed under the roof inside .I'm using Velcro👍

Last edited:
Make sure the light bar doesn't draw to much power.if so less power will be supplied to servo and that's not good.again my set up is different than yours so just a thought.you might have enough just saying better be safe than sorry .using a separate bec works good to supply your extras.you can allways use a separate small lipo to power the fans 👍😁

you know, with all the room in the FT, I could velcro a small bat pack and a switch on the body and keep it simple (K.I.S.S.). I can just flip the switch when i want the lights on and off. just not bash it TOOO hard. lol

If your putting the light bar on top of the body cover then you'll want to do what I did ..so no wires are in the way when you remove it
great.
Found this that might work for overcoming the 'momentary' third channel switch on the reciever:
https://www.amazon.com/Vbest-life-Channel-Receiver-Upgrade/dp/B08BY7PCD1

hmmm
I looked it up..you have the SLT 3- 3 channel with SR315 receiver.so use your 3 rd channel port on the receiver and then use the switch on the transmitter to on /off

Last edited:

Questions:

Thanks in advance.

great.
Found this that might work for overcoming the 'momentary' third channel switch on the reciever:
https://www.amazon.com/Vbest-life-Channel-Receiver-Upgrade/dp/B08BY7PCD1

hmmm

You'll need something more like this circuit >

The mechanical switch is an indication of the correct circuit you need to make the remote third channel to work as you've stated...

1671668989389.png

found some videos and it all jives now. Broke my first part. Need to find stronger lower hinge pins. had to run to the store to get a new lower control arm. lol.

sweet
Make sure the light bar doesn't draw to much power.if so less power will be supplied to servo and that's not good.again my set up is different than yours so just a thought.you might have enough just saying better be safe than sorry .using a separate bec works good to supply your extras.you can allways use a separate small lipo to power the fans 👍😁
What is your setup if I may ask? light bar? powered via small battery pack velcro, excuse me, hook and loop to the inside so it comes off with the body?

you know, with all the room in the FT, I could velcro a small bat pack and a switch on the body and keep it simple (K.I.S.S.). I can just flip the switch when i want the lights on and off. just not bash it TOOO hard. lol
I believe that is what I mentioned earlier ☝️.this way you won't deal with wires in the way.for the lights on the chassis you can go ahead and use the receiver port and the controller. Also get a few extensions for the harness because most light kits have a harness that are to short.
Most led light kits are made for 1/10 scale drift cars so in the 1/8 scale you'll end up short.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back