Spektrum S2100 Charger fan makes weird sound at start up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basher27

Reaction score
Just bought this a few days ago has about 10 charges on the charger and I noticed this morning that started making a weird sound every now and then on start up. Anyone else experienced this?

Just bought this a few days ago has about 10 charges on the charger and I noticed this morning that started making a weird sound every now and then on start up. Anyone else experienced this?

My charger started making a similar noise if I turn it on when it’s kinda cold out, like 40-45f degrees. After it warms a bit it’s fine. Figured it’s the fan bearing vibrating till it warms, or maybe it’s slowly going out. So I try to avoid turning it on under 50f degrees lol.

The fan is dying. Usually in items like this the fans have bushings not bearings and they use cheap fans. Teh esc fan on my 3s Typhon does the same thing upon initial startup but once it spins for a about 30 seconds or so it goes away.

Fill out this form https://servicecenter.horizonhobby.com/RequestForm/
You should get an RMA after submitting the form. Send it to Horizon they will fix it.

Or if you are feeling up to the task you could open the charger and replace the fan yourself.

My charger started making a similar noise if I turn it on when it’s kinda cold out, like 40-45f degrees. After it warms a bit it’s fine. Figured it’s the fan bearing vibrating till it warms, or maybe it’s slowly going out. So I try to avoid turning it on under 50f degrees lol.
I’m running it in my basement which is probably upper 60s. I have noticed when I’m charging the batteries and the fan kicks on I don’t notice any weird noises just start up

Last edited:

Its probably normal. I only have the s150 and it makes sameish sound. Mine only has 1 fan so it just not as loud

I’m running it in my basement which is probably upper 60s. I have noticed when I’m charging the batteries and the fan cakes on I don’t notice any weird noises just start up
Ahh okay. The fan on mine kicks on right when turned on. It calms down after a minute. Good luck with figuring out your issue!

It's just a crappy fan.
And I lied it's the Sentons fan that makes noise.
That may be, but when they charge $180 for a charger I expect after one week they’re not to be crappy anything. Lol I’m working on contacting Horizon about a replacement. They used to have the best customer service when you could pick up the phone and talk to a live person. Now everything is done through emails and takes four times longer. Thanks for your response

That may be, but when they charge $180 for a charger I expect after one week they’re not to be crappy anything. Lol I’m working on contacting Horizon about a replacement. They used to have the best customer service when you could pick up the phone and talk to a live person. Now everything is done through emails and takes four times longer. Thanks for your response
If you fill out that form in the link above no need to wait on hold on the phone for hours or send any emails, you will get an RMA number with instructions right after you submit the form. You could send the charger out today.

Estimated Service Turnaround Times (Business Days)*​

Engine Service5 Days
Electronics Service5 Days
Other Product Service (Non-Engine, Non-Radio)5 Days
*Turnaround time is initiated when the product is checked in by Horizon Hobby. The turnaround time provided is an estimate based on the incoming repair volume and is subject to change without notice.

The fan is dying. Usually in items like this the fans have bushings not bearings and they use cheap fans. Teh esc fan on my 3s Typhon does the same thing upon initial startup but once it spins for a about 30 seconds or so it goes away.

Fill out this form https://servicecenter.horizonhobby.com/RequestForm/
You should get an RMA after submitting the form. Send it to Horizon they will fix it.

Or if you are feeling up to the task you could open the charger and replace the fan yourself.
Hey man, where did you find that link? Is it on the Verizon website? Thanks!

If you fill out that form in the link above no need to wait on hold on the phone for hours or send any emails, you will get an RMA number with instructions right after you submit the form. You could send the charger out today.

Estimated Service Turnaround Times (Business Days)*​

Engine Service5 Days
Electronics Service5 Days
Other Product Service (Non-Engine, Non-Radio)5 Days
*Turnaround time is initiated when the product is checked in by Horizon Hobby. The turnaround time provided is an estimate based on the incoming repair volume and is subject to change without notice.
I appreciate you sending me the form I guess for only having this thing seven days I feel I should not have to send it in wait around for it to return. Why don’t they send me a new one and I can mail back the old one. It’s just my two cents

Hey man, where did you find that link? Is it on the Verizon website? Thanks!
Bottom of the Horizon website under support click service center, then click on the blue bar that says "Click here to send us your product for repair."

I appreciate you sending me the form I guess for only having this thing seven days I feel I should not have to send it in wait around for it to return. Why don’t they send me a new one and I can mail back the old one. It’s just my two cents
Umm…yeah. The only company that does that far as I know is Amazon and only if you’re a prime member. It also doesn’t apply to all their products. This is because they already have your payment information and if you don’t send it back they can charge you again. Just fill out the form and send it to them.

That is how nearly every RMA process works, you send item in they fix said item or send you a new one. I have seen a few places that allow you to use your credit card as collateral and they won't charge you as long as you send said item in within a certain time frame.

Bottom of the Horizon website under support click service center, then click on the blue bar that says "Click here to send us your product for repair."
Excellent, thank you. I’ve still been emailing their product service dept directly. I’ll try this route when and if I need it next.

Excellent, thank you. I’ve still been emailing their product service dept directly. I’ll try this route when and if I need it next.
It's handy especially for something you know is broken. When you don't know what the problem is I would call or email them first.

I will call it normal.

I have two of the S2100. One does make that noise on startup and the other does not. One is a purchase from the 2020 timeframe it does not make that noise on startup.

The other is a newer one from Horizon they sent me. They replaced it using the same form since it would not take the firmware update. They sent me a new one at end of 2021. The one I sent in was quiet on startup from the 2020 purchase. The replacement they sent me made that noise on day one on power-up.

It only happens when I turn it on. It does not do it on usage and it is in my home office that is always under conditions we live in inside the house....never been outside for usage.

I have done lots of charges with it charging 2x 5000mah or 2x 6200mah or 2x 8000mah at 4 or 5A both the fans are going but never make that noise. Sounds just like the second one user usage.

Under charging power when both or a single fan is running sounds just like the 2020 S2100 charger. I assume on power up it sends an extreme amount of power that is more than it would send during charger. I could be WRONG but think its just a startup thing. It has not been an issue

Please let us know what they say if you do change out....to your question I have that sound and do not have an issue with usage nor that sound comes back under usage. Only at startup.

Back