Spektrum S2100 Keeps Changing Amps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedy!

Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I bought the Spektrum S2100 with two 5200mAh 50C 3S batteries (combo) when I bought my Kraton. I wanted some extra batteries so I picked up a couple of Zeee 3S 6000mAh 80C lipos. The Spektrum batteries are SMART obviously and I just plugged them in and let them charge. The Zeees obviously are not, so I set the charger to 5A charge rate.

Three times now I've plugged the Zees in to the charger and one or both sides have defaulted to 12A. Luckily I was paying attention and quickly stopped it and set it back to 5A. I believe that's the kinda thing that causes a lipo fire?

Any idea why that's happening? I tried searching for a way to lock the charger to 5A but no dice.

I bought the Spektrum S2100 with two 5200mAh 50C 3S batteries (combo) when I bought my Kraton. I wanted some extra batteries so I picked up a couple of Zeee 3S 6000mAh 80C lipos. The Spektrum batteries are SMART obviously and I just plugged them in and let them charge. The Zeees obviously are not, so I set the charger to 5A charge rate.

Three times now I've plugged the Zees in to the charger and one or both sides have defaulted to 12A. Luckily I was paying attention and quickly stopped it and set it back to 5A. I believe that's the kinda thing that causes a lipo fire?

Any idea why that's happening? I tried searching for a way to lock the charger to 5A but no dice.
The Zeee batteries might have a 2C charge rate, which means they will charge at twice the amperage rating of the battery. For the purposes of longevity, it's best not to charge them that way, but if the battery can take the higher charging rating it won't hurt it.

That shouldn't happen with any charger. They can probably tolerate it, but not recommended.
Is this would happen with less amp/h batteries it could get dicey but still ways off before it turns into fire.

The Zeee paperwork says .5 - 1C charge rate. I set the Spektrum charger to 5A so just trying to figure out why it's changing on its own.

As a test I plugged in the Spektrum batteries. Channel 1 defaulted to 12A and Channel 2 4A. WTH? The Spektrum batteries have a 3C charge rate but I'd rather them last longer than charger quicker.

I'm just concerned at it changing all by itself.

Were both batteries a same charge level? Charger is smart enough to not provide too much when they are either very low or almost full.
That would be the only explanation that makes sense. Else you have a charger that is not working correctly.

No idea why it looses the settings. Any memory function you are triggering?

Batteries are very close in displayed voltage on the charger. I was hoping there is a memory function I don't know about. The manual doesn't say anything.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back