Spektrum S2200 charging a not so smart nihm battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwcrago

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hey everyone so I just picked up my new S6 Kraton today, I also got the Spektrum kit with two 4S batteries. My son has been running his basic brushed Typhon using the charger that comes with his car. I tried charging the Nihm batteries on the Spektrum charger, but it seems like it’s not actually charging the batteries. I programmed the charger for the Nihm. Anyone tried this and got it to work or any tips, besides upgrading to a brushless typhon for the my son (wife would kill my). Thank you

Might need more than just setting it to Nim mode. :unsure:Selecting amp rate and other things are needed.
Might be more of a setup issue. Might want to see if there is even a nimpack Delta peak setting on that Charger.
There are other settings to set up for Nimpacks. Nims are not Smart lipos. Charging must be manually configured for nimpacks, unlike the Smart Lipos which perhaps spoiled you. If the nimpack is a 3000mah, charger must be set to 3.0 amps or less. No more!
Nimpacks generally take longer to charge in general. Nims are normally warm to the touch when finished, unlike Lipos which must remain cool throughout the charging cycle. Food for thought.

Last edited:
Might need more than just setting it to Nim mode. :unsure:Selecting amp rate and other things are needed.
Might be more of a setup issue. Might want to see if there is even a nimpack Delta peak setting on that Charger.
There are other settings to set up for Nimpacks. Nims are not Smart lipos. Charging must be manually configured for nimpacks, unlike the Smart Lipos which perhaps spoiled you.
I would definitely say they spoiled me, but man it’s nice. I configured all of the settings for the charge. Set to Nihm, volts amps all that fun stuff. Battery will charge for about 20 minutes then say it’s complete. When it gets thrown into the car it only has about five minutes of run time before it’s done. I can stick with the kid using his original charger, but figured it would be nice to dual charge his batteries when we are prepping to play
I would definitely say they spoiled me, but man it’s nice. I configured all of the settings for the charge. Set to Nihm, volts amps all that fun stuff. Battery will charge for about 20 minutes then say it’s complete. When it gets thrown into the car it only has about five minutes of run time before it’s done. I can stick with the kid using his original charger, but figured it would be nice to dual charge his batteries when we are prepping to play

Attachments

• 64F18F8F-54AC-4F30-AABB-F6490C0715EB.jpeg
    64F18F8F-54AC-4F30-AABB-F6490C0715EB.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Is there a Delta peak setting there? This controls how fully charged the nimpack gets. How saturated the cells will be at beat peak voltage. Nimpacks are a different chemistry. So charging them has different settings. Also, Nimpacks have a Memory. You may need to cycle them Charge/discharge them 3 or more times to get the most runtime (capacity) out of them. Train them. Nimpacks charge best when they are completely run down and fully charged again. Letting a fully charged nimpack sit around fully charged or even half charged for any length of time creates a memory effect. They need to be trained again by cycling them. Nimpacks don't last very long before they are junk.
>>I would run a 2s lipo in your sons rig if I were you. Nims are horrible in IMHO. Not worth the money at all. Lipos are way less money for the capacity and performance you will get . Nims are old school.
I think the brushed mega ESC might have a Lipo Mode setting on its ESC for using a 2s Lipo. Check your Mega ESC Manual. Clearly what I would do in the first place. Better run times for your sons rig. I was using Nims back 35 years ago. Once's Lipos came to be, I never looked back.
Get a Smart 2s lipo? Just make sure that Mega ESC has a Lipo Mode. (this prevents the Lipo from fully discharging, bad thing)
Nims can go to full discharge. Not Lipos. LVC needs to cut in when lipo volts reach a certain level.

Last edited:
Yeah, his rig can run the 2s lipo, just a matter of switching up a jumper on the ESC. This might be my road ahead, but I already almost got in trouble with the boss for my spending on my rig. My sons might have to wait a bit to hook him up with a couple new batteries. He is eight, so I’m sure he can manage for a bit. I was just trying to find ways to be more efficient with what I currently have…

As far as a delta peak setting, no it does not have one

I just noticed from your picture that the Delta peak is 8 milivolts. You can make that higher.
But I think you have memory issues with that nimpack, however.
Full discharge and full charge it at least 3 times and you should see better runtimes. Lipos will always run longer regardless. It could even have a bad cell, bricked. Nims don't last long. Measure its volts after it is fully charged to know for sure.
Also, as brushed motors wear out, and they do very easily from not cleaning them and worn brushes etc, this will reduce run time.
Some ideas

Yeah, his rig can run the 2s lipo, just a matter of switching up a jumper on the ESC. This might be my road ahead, but I already almost got in trouble with the boss for my spending on my rig. My sons might have to wait a bit to hook him up with a couple new batteries. He is eight, so I’m sure he can manage for a bit. I was just trying to find ways to be more efficient with what I currently have…

As far as a delta peak setting, no it does not have one
Ok so with digging in more, this charger uses the negative delta v method to detect when the battery is fully charged. Trying to do some research on that note to see if that’s my issue. Thanks for your help
I just noticed from your picture that the Delta peak is 8 milivolts. You can make that higher.
But I think you have memory issues with that nimpack, however.
Full discharge and full charge it at least 3 times and you should see better runtimes. Lipos will always run longer regardless. It could even have a bad cell, bricked. Nims don't last long. Measure its volts after it is fully charged to know for sure.
Also, as brushed motors wear out, and they do very easily from not cleaning them and worn brushes etc, this will reduce run time.
Some ideas
ok so the negative delta volts are the same thing as the delta peak? So my sons rig is about two weeks old, one battery bought with car and one bought today (super sad face wishing I just bought him a 2S battery). I will try to raise the delta peak, I believe I read around 10 is decent. I’m pretty sure the problem is with the operator not the battery or charger. When the batteries are charged with the simple charger it came with they do fine, it just takes forever and one at a time makes that even worse.

Thank you for your help and time. I’m more familiar with Nitro rigs, but my local hobby shop told me that if I went into the 6S and up systems I wouldn’t regret it. I’m super satisfied with the Kraton, that I have only run twice. (Running 4S for now to absorb some of the impact of cost.) the thing still runs like an irate cheetah on wheels.

I run my Kraton on 4s and 6s. 4s is plenty fast also. More drivable. Breaks way less.
To me, even 4s is more powerful than my Nitro rigs. 6s electric rigs blow away Nitro rigs. Why electrics dominate these days. And Nitro fuel is Sooo expensive as well. I paid $70. for a gallon of only 20% nitro last year. :rolleyes: My nitro.

That supplied Nimpack Slow charger takes long because it is just a simple trickle charger. Charges at a very low rate. Not best for Nimpack performance overall. IMHO.
Learn to utilize the Spektrum charger for it if anything. Good idea to charge the nimpacks at 1/2 C rate for better longevity. If the Nim is 5000mah.
Charge it at 2.5amps. Charging at 5.0 amps (1C rate) charges faster if you want. But nims will last less longer before a cell or 2 start to degrade faster than the rest. My experience.

Last edited:
I run my Kraton on 4s and 6s. 4s is plenty fast also. More drivable. Breaks way less.
To me, even 4s is more powerful than my Nitro rigs. 6s electric rigs blow away Nitro rigs. Why electrics dominate these days. And Nitro fuel is Sooo expensive as well. I paid $70. for a gallon of only 20% nitro last year. :rolleyes: My nitro.

That supplied Nimpack Slow charger takes long because it is just a simple trickle charger. Charges at a very low rate. Not best for Nimpack performance overall. IMHO.
Learn to utilize the Spektrum charger for it if anything. Good idea to charge the nimpacks at 1/2 C rate for better longevity. If the Nim is 5000mah.
Charge it at 2.5amps. Charging at 5.0 amps (1C rate) charges faster if you want. But nims will last less longer before a cell or 2 start to degrade faster than the rest. My experience.
I have been running errands all day, but finally got the chance to have my kid “verify” his wall charger did charge the battery. Solid run tiMe and outlasted my 4S. I have a heavy throttle finger tho. I am letting the battery cool a bit and will try to charge on the Spektrum again. I will try at 1/2C and max delta at 10 to see what I can get

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back