Spektrum S2200 & dumb batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobrainer

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Mega
  2. Typhon 3s
  3. Typhon Mega
I've bought a couple 3s non-smart batteries of late
  • 1x CNHL 120c 8200mah @ 11.4v and 93.48wh battery
  • 2x HOOVOO 120c 6500mah @ 11.1v 72.15wh
I'm not sure what settings to put in the spectrum smart g2 s2200 charger though, I tried just taking defaults (making sure it was set to LiPo 3s), and it seems to charge, but I started getting overheating errors and a lot of beeping from the charger.

I was trying to find a quick settings checklist for the batteries to put in the charger but couldn't find much. Is there an easy way to determine what settings put plug into the charger?

8,200mah needs a 8.2 amps charge rate (a normal 1C rate)
6,500mah needs a 6.5 amp rate.
You need to connect the balance lead being non Smart lipos. Obviously. While also being able to select the charge Amps for the specific Lipos capacity as shown above. The lipos may be too large of a capacity for this charger. Why it got hot??? IDK.
I don't think this Spek. Smart charger is all that smart. It's internal power supply is mostly like not up to the task with those large Mah lipos???? IDK for sure:unsure::unsure:
Dumb chargers and lipos are actually Smarter if you ask me. I rather be in control of my charge rate. I never let any charger auto charge my lipos. Not comfortable with that for safety reasons.
Getting a Dumb charger may be the best thing here??? IMHO. $Spektrum$ chargers and lipos have been known with issues.
You could always Call Horizon Hobby. I think there is a One year warranty on the charger if that is the issue. But the S2200 should be able to charge Dumb lipos also, last I heard. Others have done this.
That's ultimately your call.:)

Last edited:
oh, interesting, I was charging at 5.0 amps I think (default). fewer amps should have worked fine. I've keep an eye on it and make sure I use the lipo bags when charging the non-smart batteries ..... juuuust in case.
The charger is only a couple weeks old, supposedly it will charge 2 batteries at 200w and 1 battery at like 375w.

thank you for the info!

5 amp per side is all the charger can provide easy. Or can go more with only one side charging. Does it see and report on all the cells in the battery. The over heat has to be the charger overheating as it cannot read the dumb battery temps. What rates are you charging? I have the charger and have used it very successful for smart and dumb charging. Remember reading about charing one side will be faster then charging both side at. once. Might get by with with more then 5 and sue one side.
Make sure the balance leads are good and tightly connected. And the 5 amps should be good.
You might want to watch each cell read out while it is charging to be sure the battery is taking the charge in each cell.

Last edited:
Hmm Charger seems like it can handle the job just fine. Maybe take some photos of how you have one plugged in and the settings selected so we can give more feedback.
My guess is you had something set wrong 🤔

+1
I say the same. Settings.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back