Spektrum Smart Series product manufacturer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
I wanted to see if anyone has info on who manufactures the Spektrum Smart Lipo Batteries?

We know the ESC is HobbyWing

Hobbywing max6.JPG
smart escCapture.JPG

The chargers are ISDT.
isdtCapture.JPG
smart charger Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I was wondering the same. I would bet it is not Spektrum making those LIPOS. Everything is outsourced to the lowest bidder. The lipo Industry is weird if you ask me. Too much secrecy. Its hard to trace lipo manufacturing. Maybe gensacearespammers... A guess. Not sure if they are an OE supplier. But they are a huge Lipo company with a lot of Rand D invested.

I was wondering the same. I would bet it is not Spektrum making those LIPOS. Everything is outsourced to the lowest bidder. The lipo Industry is weird if you ask me. Too much secrecy. Its hard to trace lipo manufacturing. Maybe gensacearespammers... A guess. Not sure if they are an OE supplier. But they are a huge Lipo company with a lot of Rand D invested.
Agreed, if you look at Spektrum's product line they don't make any of the base product... Possibly just the technology add on / programming.

My understanding is that there is 2-3 factories in China that produce 90% of LiPos on the market. I read somewhere that revolectrix makes their own.

Either way I am intrigued. I like the functionality and data.
The question for me and what I do with RC cars (Speed runs)

How do the smart LiPos compare to a proven heavy hitter like the Turnigy Graphene/Panther series.

Agreed, if you look at Spektrum's product line they don't make any of the base product... Possibly just the technology add on / programming.

My understanding is that there is 2-3 factories in China that produce 90% of LiPos on the market. I read somewhere that revolectrix makes their own.

Either way I am intrigued. I like the functionality and data.
The question for me and what I do with RC cars (Speed runs)

How do the smart LiPos compare to a proven heavy hitter like the Turnigy Graphene/Panther series.
I know there are only a select few Lipo Mfr's in China and Taiwan. Hard to find more info than that.
I have no experience with The Smart Lipos or even Turnigy.The Smart tech is rather old. It is new in RC, except for the likes of DJI, Air RC.
But I do have a pair of new "Off" brand Graphenes to play with. :) . Both packs match Identical in specs. I know they must be fresh. Absolutely the nicest built construction in a soft pack lipo I've ever seen. Out the box it tested perfect. Low IR's and all. Getting to the Spektrums, I don't feel they would be the high end choice for high demand custom builds. IMO. I could be wrong. And when it comes to lipos, Price generally dictates performance. But not always. This all goes back to the fact that there are only a few mfrs. and all are rebranded for the most part. Cell matching is what separates the men from the boys when these are built. Cells are graded, and that usually dictates the pricepoint of a lipo at retail.
20191217_124952.jpg

Last edited:
gensacearespammers makes Smart batteries. They appear to have much lower (25C) ratings though. These are more geared for large commercial drones/quads.

Smart battery tech. is not new. Spektrum jumped on the band wagon. But battery selection is narrow.

Last edited:
One of these days I'll make a test bench setup and compare LiPo discharge Amperage.

Given C-ratings are all bogus and no manufacturer outputs over 50c. Spektrum labeled these smart LiPos as high as 100c

C ratings are all over the place. I agree. Some packs state 50C, 100C sustained C rate. What does that really mean? I think BS. There is no Industry standard or rule governing this spec. It's just a marketing tool in my opinion to justify the price of Lipo A vs. Lipo B.:) I feel Extremely well matched cells are the key. (Batch control during manufacture) Especially when talking 4 and 6 cell High Mah packs.
The C Rate to me is just an indication of the cell's grade or rating. High grade cells equate to better quality and performance. I feel that is hard to bench test accurately. The rigs performance is the ultimate test.

Last edited:
If you care for a technical dive, this post clears up just about everything when it comes to LiPos

https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/1009300-warning-lipo-c-discharge-ratings-invalid.html
Excellent read. Thanks (y) (y) I've done much reading on the subject. That was a good one. Sums it up best. It was very pro SMC however. But SMC seems to be well respected in the industry. I know. :)
I like the strategy of buying the highest Mah your pocket can afford. The lipo will last longer. It was also stated to keep your discharge Cutoff voltage as high as practical and the Charging cutoff voltage lower than 4.2v/cell for longevity, more usable cycles. And that is what I already do as a matter of practice

Last edited:
Excellent read. Thanks (y) (y) I've done much reading on the subject. That was a good one. Sums it up best. It was very pro SMC however. But SMC seems to be well respected in the industry. I know. :)
I like the strategy of buying the highest Mah your pocket can afford. The lipo will last longer. It was also stated to keep your discharge Cutoff voltage as high as practical and the Charging cutoff voltage lower than 4.2v/cell for longevity, more usable cycles. And that is what I already do as a matter of practice

I agree it was heavily filled with pro SMC content. I suppose maybe because SMC has the integrity to put the amp ratings on their products?
I had 2 of their Extreme LiPos that they discuss in that thread being "use only as necessary". I can attest to that fact. The first one puffed beyond my comfort within 8 months and only about 12 uses. The other is still going, but has puffed some, and does not balance well anymore. It has repeatedly put up big speed numbers on 4s (70+mph) on my Typhon.

I personally am a supporter of Turnigy LiPos. They seem to hold up well and output great power. I just don't like spending over 100 on a 6s pack.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back