Spektrum telemetry question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stokedcrf

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 8s
Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm new to electric. Been a longtime gas guy!

I just picked up an outcast 8s and it came with the new dx3 which I absolutely despise. I'm coming off of an older dx3s with telemetry that I adore!

Anyways, the dx3 has leds on it for the batteries in the outcast. I am not using a spektrum smart battery, rather I'm using other 4s lipos. This frustrates me that so far it seems I can't read the battery voltage without a spektrum branded smart battery.

What I'd like to know is, if I purchase the newer dx5c thst is a smart transmitter, what telemetry information will I get? Will I get the battery voltage even though I'm not using a spektrum smart battery?

I'd be rather pissed if I go out and purchase a new spektrum transmitter just to find out they force me to use their batteries.

To be honest, I'm not completely sold on the spektrum equipment and am open to alternatives options. Whatever gets me good telemetry and well, AVC is a bonus for when the gf is driving it haha

Yes you need the smart batteries to use the telemetry
So no telemetry at all without a smart battery even with a dx5c?

The only reason why this confuses me is because even my ten year old hpi Baja has spektrum telemetry and it just uses a small 6v hump pack for the servos. No esc or anything.

Is it the esc that provides the telemetry info?

Are there any alternative solutions for adding non spektrum telemetry to my outcast?

I'm okay with switching to a new TX rx setup if need be.

I suppose I could change out the rx in my outcast with the one in my hpi Baja and use my old controller, but then I'd give up the AVC (which is probably ok)

Yeah all the telemetry comes from esc. You’ll get everything on a dx5c except for the battery info
Thank you for the explanation!
I found this video here, do you think I could use this solution with the stock outcast esc with my old dx3s transmitter? This looks like it might be the solution I'm looking for! (without AVC though)

Last edited:
You get full telemetry on the DX5 including the battery voltage (total, not per cell) with the Firma ESCs.
It's running fine on mine since day 1. I do not have smart batteries.

Below is a screenshot, had ESC temp issues and eventually figured out how to switch to Fahrenheit :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You get full telemetry on the DX5 including the battery voltage (total, not per cell) with the Firma ESCs.
Thanks, exactly, seemed as if OP was being mislead. While you do need a telemetry capable esc and rx, you do NOT need smart batteries for the battery voltage on a dx5c, rugged, dx5pro, etc.

Below is a screenshot, had ESC temp issues and eventually figured out how to switch to Fahrenheit :rolleyes:

Oh wow! Thank you for the clarification! I couldn't wrap my head around why this wouldn't work.

Thanks again!

Yeah all the telemetry comes from esc. You’ll get everything on a dx5c except for the battery info
The DX5C will give telemetry of the total of all cells volts combined if you use the correct Spektrum RX. No matter the ESC brand. Its about hard wiring. No Telemetry is not a deal breaker for me in a radio. Its just fluff if you ask me. I want range and fast frame rate response. Don't restrict yourself to the RTR radio just for telem features... same for the Firma ESC's and Spektrum Lipos. There is better stuff out there.
But the DX5C is a good radio, among others. Some have stated Telem enabled reduces the frame rate setting by default. (Higher latency/slower response)
Just my thoughts.:cool:

Frame rate setting stayed at 11ms on mine. Didn't notice any slowdowns. Don't know too much about the DX5 internals but telemetry is a pure receive signal which is always on, same as transmit. Really makes no difference if real data or 'blank' data is transmitted, no processing power change.
Without knowing the details though I could be wrong but 'feels' the same.

The DX5C will give telemetry of the total of all cells volts combined if you use the correct Spektrum RX. No matter the ESC brand. Its about hard wiring. No Telemetry is not a deal breaker for me in a radio. Its just fluff if you ask me. I want range and fast frame rate response. Don't restrict yourself to the RTR radio just for telem features... same for the Firma ESC's and Spektrum Lipos. There is better stuff out there.
But the DX5C is a good radio, among others. Some have stated Telem enabled reduces the frame rate setting by default. (Higher latency/slower response)
Just my thoughts.:cool:
What is the correct Rx though? I've been researching it and can't find anything on it besides a mention here. Would it be one of the telemetry receivers with avc or just your average sr515?

DX5C works with any DSMR and DSM2 Spektrum Protocol Rx's. ( Surface Rx's)
But only the specified ones with Smart/Telem features will give you those additional Smart/Telem features. Along with an acompanying Smart ESC.
Basic Telem data is not necessarily "Smart" however. And Basic telem can be used with any ESC brand. ( Non Smart)
Spektrum gear can be confusing. Hope I didn't confuse you further.:cool:

What receiver are you using with it?

Thank you for the explanation!
I found this video here, do you think I could use this solution with the stock outcast esc with my old dx3s transmitter? This looks like it might be the solution I'm looking for! (without AVC though)

Since I have no much time to ride my RC cars I´m thinking about to buy a Horizon Hobby Apprentice plane on this weekend deals xD... (my small daughter would like a plane also, that's my excuse)
Now I´m thinking to sell the small 3S battery (1300mAh) and charger of the RTF package to reduce the total cost and use a bigger 3 S pack (not SMART) that I already have. Would it be compatible to use the telemetry in avian ESC and DXS transmitter? Maybe I´ll need to adapt the electric cables of the pack? That would be cool because a crash caused by low voltage would be silly...
Thanks a lot in advance! And have a nice weekend!

PS: don´t buy so much RCs :)

This is the partlist from the plane I was thinking on:
(1) HobbyZone Apprentice S 2 1.2m
(1) Brushless Außenläufer Motor (installiert)
(1) 30A Brushless Telemetrie fähiger ESC (installiert)
(4) Servos (installiert)
(1) Spektrum™ AR631 6-Kanal Empfänger (installiert)
(1) Spektrum DXS 2.4GHz DSMX® Fernsteuerung
(1) Spektrum 1300mAh 3S 11.1V 30C Smart LiPo Akku
(1) Spektrum S120 USB-C Smart Ladegerät

Last edited:
Back