Spontaneous reverse?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborvitian

Daphne's Dad
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Outcast 4s
I have a 4S V2 Outcast that was down for about a month with a broken chassis. After doing the swap, the truck is up and running, but now there is a problem with reverse. The truck sometimes floors itself in reverse spontaneously. Other times, just barely touching reverse on the transmitter will cause this. Other times, intentionally reversing doesn't work the first time.

It's an RTR truck with stock Spektrum electronics. I know when Horizon Hobby switched these trucks over to their in-house Spektrum stuff, a lot of people were complaining. It seems like the quality control issues sorted themselves out, and I haven't noticed any recent current of overt hatred for the Spektrum stuff.

Anyway, it's just the stock SLT3 transmitter, and whatever receiver came in the truck. It was working quite satisfactorily before the chassis swap. I can't imagine that I damaged the receiver in any way. My first thought was the transmitter, which generally seems kind of cheap anyway. I took it apart, and the forward/reverse is just a pot, or maybe a funky rheostat. (I haven't fooled with electronics in ages.) There really isn't anything user serviceable there. It's working or it isn't. If it's a pot, do pots fail like that? Just sending a random, spurious signal? Maybe. I don't know.

I thought I'd pick the gang's brain on this one. I'm sure somebody has more of a clue than I do which component to look at. I can verify that it isn't due to any kind of contamination or mechanical damage. The inside of the transmitter was pristine, and everything was A-OK mechanically.

I have a 4S V2 Outcast that was down for about a month with a broken chassis. After doing the swap, the truck is up and running, but now there is a problem with reverse. The truck sometimes floors itself in reverse spontaneously. Other times, just barely touching reverse on the transmitter will cause this. Other times, intentionally reversing doesn't work the first time.

It's an RTR truck with stock Spektrum electronics. I know when Horizon Hobby switched these trucks over to their in-house Spektrum stuff, a lot of people were complaining. It seems like the quality control issues sorted themselves out, and I haven't noticed any recent current of overt hatred for the Spektrum stuff.

Anyway, it's just the stock SLT3 transmitter, and whatever receiver came in the truck. It was working quite satisfactorily before the chassis swap. I can't imagine that I damaged the receiver in any way. My first thought was the transmitter, which generally seems kind of cheap anyway. I took it apart, and the forward/reverse is just a pot, or maybe a funky rheostat. (I haven't fooled with electronics in ages.) There really isn't anything user serviceable there. It's working or it isn't. If it's a pot, do pots fail like that? Just sending a random, spurious signal? Maybe. I don't know.

I thought I'd pick the gang's brain on this one. I'm sure somebody has more of a clue than I do which component to look at. I can verify that it isn't due to any kind of contamination or mechanical damage. The inside of the transmitter was pristine, and everything was A-OK mechanically.

I am unsure if this will fix your issue, but I would recalibrate the ESC to ensure it knows the throttle, brake, and neutral points. It is done from the factory, but I like to do all mine over to know it is correct

Last edited:

I would first absolutely Reset/ calibrate your Throttle endpoints.
Also could just be a bad throttle finger?:giggle: Spektrum gear aint all that. And calibrations are known to drift, and need to be recalibrated from time to time. Also, check the radio dials.... for any inadvertant changes that might have occurred. Sometimes it is that simple.

What SRC said yea, If the endpoints are advanced or retarded you can lose reverse or even forward. Also dangerous when you turn off the receiver and the car is still on, car will move on you so be careful in this situation while you figure it out

I never even thought to try to calibrate the thing. That seems kind of obvious in retrospect. Thinking back, I can't remember the last time I had to calibrate anything, but it sure used to be part of living with an analog joystick or whatever. The same kind of components are in play here, and the output values could easily drift a little with use, or whatever. Maybe space penguins held their left feet at the wrong angle while kayaking for all I know.

Calibration will probably fix everything, but if I go near the RC trucks today, I won't go hiking, and I need to get some exercise. I'll do it afterwards.

Also, here it is Monday (my version of Monday), and neither one of my trucks are down. I've benched the Notorious while I wait for a new motor cooling fan, but it still has one fan, and would probably be fine. Taking it out of service is mostly just being too lazy to tuck the wiring away, only to pull it back out in a day or so. It's not broken in any meaningful way. Neither is the Outcast. Wow, take a picture of that. I did, at least, totally trash the new shell I just painted. It has holes all the way through it and everything. So there is that.

I ALWAYS calibrate the ESC to the radio, first thing when NEW out the box before I run it for the first time. Factory falls short on this procedure. Leave nothing to chance.

>>>>Need to always recalibrate again, every time, AFTER you do an ESC Factory Reset to default values. <<<<
Some guys inadvertantly "Reset" their ESC's without knowing they did , while simply attempting to "program" their ESC's parameters.
Refer to the manual or Arrma-Rc .com.
I will usually do calibration if I change any of the Throttle related ESC parameters. I leave nothing to chance. Even periodically, I will recalibrate the ESC when I feel a change with my throttle endpoints at the radio. Can never hurt at all to do this. Safer than sorry with these Spektrum ESC's is the best approach.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back