Spool Making Jig for Spooless filaments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex Koder

2D , 3D Not a problem. I'll take that Challenge.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Nero
  6. Senton 3s
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vendetta
Since I have plenty of spent filament spools laying around.. I decided to make my own Split-spools to reuse with new spooless filaments.

MacGrubered together a quick wooden jig to safely 'hold' the old spools ,while I run it through the tablesaw.

IMG_20230218_140056176.jpg

IMG_20230218_140049485.jpg

IMG_20230218_140104662.jpg

IMG_20230218_141728088.jpg

IMG_20230218_141732516.jpg

Easy peasy. Didn't loose any fingers! 🤘
IMG_20230218_142533594.jpg

IMG_20230218_142645045.jpg

IMG_20230218_142700490.jpg

Now I just need to design & print up some Center Couplers to reconnect the two halves!

Last edited:
I can't print me a 1:1 2023 Tesla Roadster!!
Who you kidding..sure you can . One inch at a time then glue it all together..throw some body filler all over it .sand it shape it prime it paint it .and boom .done 👍😁

I do woodworking/cabinets for a living and your saw set up looked pretty safe to me. I'm thinking you no your way around woodworking tools.

I do woodworking/cabinets for a living and your saw set up looked pretty safe to me. I'm thinking you no your way around woodworking tools.

Yes sir.
Use to design and build car stereo & subwoofer boxes and home speaker towers as a kid, way back when..

Left a lot of my old wood equipment (bandsaw, big drill press, bigger table saw, etc etc) back at the old house.. as a single guy , just had more space...
New house with Family , a lot Less Space. Go figure.

Is V2 going to snap the two halves together? ;)

I have no idea on 3d printing or even that filament stuff and I'm trying to figure out why did you split that spool .is it because if you buy a spool of filament does it cost more with a spool and less without it.? Because if the cost is the same then I'm trying to figure why have you gone through so much work To reuse the spool.if it's because of cost then I understand .and if it's not the cost then was it because you just wanted to do it or ?? Either way kinda cool what you did.👍😁

I have no idea on 3d printing or even that filament stuff and I'm trying to figure out why did you split that spool .is it because if you buy a spool of filament does it cost more with a spool and less without it.? Because if the cost is the same then I'm trying to figure why have you gone through so much work To reuse the spool.if it's because of cost then I understand .and if it's not the cost then was it because you just wanted to do it or ?? Either way kinda cool what you did.👍😁

It's a little of both..
Mainly though is because the color I wanted (Needed in this situation) was Only available in Spooless.
They didn't have these basic colors on a spool. I DON'T know why..

And there's NO way I was going to run my filaments into my printer "loosey goosey" like that without them being in a spool.
Cause If you ever tried to print and your filaments unravels and gets tangled ,it's a Major Nightmare & Headache to try to get the knots out and get them rewound back again...

1676834072054.png

1676834086715.png

Here's a good video covering the issues that you'll face dealing with loosey goosey filaments..

So just imagine what would happen if I was to cut those four straps holding the windings of the Spooless filament...
It would completely unwind itself into a giant noodle almost instantly! and you wouldn't be able to reliably feed the filament thru your system without random jamming and other issues..

So, yeah it's a bit of trouble to split and DIY my own spool holders for these things but it's worth it in the end.

Last edited:
Since I have plenty of spent filament spools laying around.. I decided to make my own Split-spools to reuse with new spooless filaments.

MacGrubered together a quick wooden jig to safely 'hold' the old spools ,while I run it through the tablesaw.

View attachment 279277

View attachment 279281

View attachment 279282

View attachment 279283

View attachment 279284

Easy peasy. Didn't loose any fingers! 🤘
View attachment 279285

View attachment 279286

View attachment 279287

Now I just need to design & print up some Center Couplers to reconnect the two halves!
Man… you impressed me with just the square piece of wood 🙇‍♂️ if only it was that easy to make a jig for rocks.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back