Spool Making Jig for Spooless filaments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man… you impressed me with just the square piece of wood 🙇‍♂️ if only it was that easy to make a jig for rocks.

... 3D print a Rock Jig?

... 3D print a Rock Jig?
I wouldn’t even know where to start. There’s no standardization with rocks. I know they have them for the large slab, cutting saw machines, consisting of a metal vice thing and boards to hold the rock. Not sure if it could be accomplished with a small tablesaw.

My saw blade rises 3 inch above the table. If I want to do a 5 inch tall rock, I have to turn it. It’s just hard being accurate while oh so slowly turning it so that the lines mean in the middle, if that makes sense.

It's a little of both..
Mainly though is because the color I wanted (Needed in this situation) was Only available in Spooless.
They didn't have these basic colors on a spool. I DON'T know why..

And there's NO way I was going to run my filaments into my printer "loosey goosey" like that without them being in a spool.
Cause If you ever tried to print and your filaments unravels and gets tangled ,it's a Major Nightmare & Headache to try to get the knots out and get them rewound back again...

View attachment 279555

View attachment 279556

Here's a good video covering the issues that you'll face dealing with loosey goosey filaments..

So just imagine what would happen if I was to cut those four straps holding the windings of the Spooless filament...
It would completely unwind itself into a giant noodle almost instantly! and you wouldn't be able to reliably feed the filament thru your system without random jamming and other issues..

So, yeah it's a bit of trouble to split and DIY my own spool holders for these things but it's worth it in the end.
Oh I see now ..so kinda like a fishing rod reel ..when your fishing and once you get a knot reeled back into your spool it just fks up everything and you can't do a nice cast anymore untill that knot is removed..I got ya ..😁👍.
Too bad you don't have a cable rewinder machine where you could fill the empty spool automatically.when I was in my teens I worked for a company named North East cable. affiliated with American insulated wire co. In Rhode island and there were tons of people there ran cable rewinder machine's and a fork lift driver would put a huge wooden reel in front of the machine and at the other end would be another wooden reel filled with power cable and it would feed that empty reel to what ever amount the work packages asked for in feet. Mostly at 4000 ft .I was a fork lift operator there .after the reels would be filled they would wrap the middle of the reel inside the flanges with card board wrap and I'd pick it up and load it into a 18 wheeler.worked there for a year then the company moved to Mexico due to cheap labor.anyways sorry for the boring story 😁😁

Last edited:
Well, this is what a metal one looks like inside a 14 inch slab saw. Wondering if it would be possible to make it out of durable plastic for use with a saw half the size.

0692F0B6-DA4A-4665-B236-6B148A656A7B.jpeg

460A76A5-BD8F-43F1-B8BF-59DBA11D0EA4.jpeg

552EDDD3-B0A7-4C98-B2EA-4BC8BE8DF69B.jpeg

I love that rock fixture!
Did you produce that yourself?
Nope. I wish lol. Machine like that cost thousands. Another guy makes those vice inserts aftermarket for $150. I’ve been sitting here thinking and something is starting to come to mind. I’ll try to sketch it out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back