Spray on Plasti-dip feedback please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon NC RC

Keep it fun......SEND IT
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Mojave
  4. Senton 3s
Hey all.... so far I have done the drywall tape shoo-goo method to reinforce the stock body of my RC's. I have nothing against such a method, and I am sure it has prolonged the life of these bodies, no doubt whatsoever.

However, I have seen the application of plastic dip, and, with proper prep work, it could be a viable alternative.If you have used this on your rig, then....

Is it somewhat flexible?
Is it strong
Is it relatively light weight
Is it durable?

Just wondering...... have plenty of tape & shoo goo, but was going to try the plastic dip spray on (or brush apply if that is better somehow) if people relate good results

Thanx in advance

I painted 3 or 4 bodies with it.

It's great for painting bodies instead of lexan spray... especially if you think you might change your mind on the paint job - you can peel it off and go again.
Also, no masking, you just cut out the part you (don't) want and fill it with another color.

But for body reinforcement, I don't think it does anything. It's too flexible IMO.

Yes,yes,yes and yes. I actually spray a coat over the dry wall tape and shoe goo.
Interesting..... was thinking of just the plastic dip , with no dw tape / shoo goo.... @nino replied not strong by itself....

open to more comments and feedback.....

I use it over the shoegoo to hide the ugly. And over the body to change colors later. But .02 put a minimum of 5 coats on? I go 7coats , easier to remove. Thinner layers more difficult to peal off.

Not plastidip, but I tried a spray on rubberized bed liner and that did not hold up well - did not adhere well and would rub off fairly easily. So I imagine plastidip would be similar if not worse.

WAS THERE A CLEAR WINNER?

For me, yes! “Test Number 8: Drywall mesh first, then Shoe Goo. Allow to dry, then spray with 3M rubberized undercoating.” It is relatively easy to apply and provides a tremendous amount of body reinforcement. However, there were several close contenders. Each of the contenders would work for most people. The type of rig you drive and how you drive it may affect the method of surface protection that you choose. Your decision may also be affected by how much time and money you are willing to spend on the materials and application. More about that later.

Perfect the method I used!!!!!

Not big on doing much to my bodies any more. Gorilla tape the body post holes and a few key areas is all I do. As it breaks here and there, I just patch it up as I go. Tried everything. And the bodies still break, needing patching anyway. Been there. You can spend much $$ on lining bodies. It adds much weight also. I just replace my bodies when they barely stay on anylonger. Try truck bed liner. Not cheap, but I would give that a try one day. Thicker and way more durable and yes heavier than Plasti-dip, which i think is overrated anyway. Be careful with some products. It will pull off/separate the PC paint.
easily. I got a Tub of white Flex seal. Cheapest way to buy it. I use tha for patch ups also. Just needs to cure well. Use some Drywal tape below it for patching. E6000/Shoogoo gets expensive. And stinks with the fumes too. But I use it also. E6000 is the commercial trade name for Shoogoo. I get mine at The Home Depot. Good for many RC uses, not just bodies.

Edited.

Last edited:
Hey all.... so far I have done the drywall tape shoo-goo method to reinforce the stock body of my RC's. I have nothing against such a method, and I am sure it has prolonged the life of these bodies, no doubt whatsoever.

However, I have seen the application of plastic dip, and, with proper prep work, it could be a viable alternative.If you have used this on your rig, then....

Is it somewhat flexible?
Is it strong
Is it relatively light weight
Is it durable?

Just wondering...... have plenty of tape & shoo goo, but was going to try the plastic dip spray on (or brush apply if that is better somehow) if people relate good results

Thanx in advance
all i know is that you spray your car with it to make it into a racecar

Not big on doing much to my bodies any more. Gorilla tape the body post holes and a few key areas is all I do.As it breaks here and there, I just patch it up as I go. Tried everything. And the bodies still break, needing patching anyway. Been there. You can spend much $$ on lining bodies. It adds much weight also. I just replace my bodies when they barely stay on anylonger. Try truck bed liner. Not cheap, but I would give that a try one day. Thicker and way more durable and yes heavier than Plasti-dip, which i think is overrated anyway. Be careful with some products. It will pull off/separate the PC paint easily.
Thanx, will investigate

Not big on doing much to my bodies any more. Gorilla tape the body post holes and a few key areas is all I do.As it breaks here and there, I just patch it up as I go. Tried everything. And the bodies still break, needing patch anyway. Been there. You can spend much $$ on lining bodies. It adds much weight also. I just replace my bodies when they barely stay on anylonger. Try truck bed liner. Not cheap. but I would give that a try one day. Thicker and way more durable and yes heavier than Plasti-dip, which i think is overrated anyway.
More or less what I do. Don't feel like using half the $$ worth of shoe goo of what the body itself cost me. If I see a crack, I drill a hole at the end of it to relieve the stress and slap some good tape on there.

The smell and long drying time don't help either.

Oh, and I used dip on the outside once. A few rolls later and half of it peeled off in one piece. So that's a no-no.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back