spring stretch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackgoat04

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
not a lot of knowledge in rc suspension but why can't I just take a stock spring and stretch it a little bit for better absorption

Last edited:
The springs don't absorb, the shocks (oil) are, the springs only hold the shocks at a specific height.

Even if the springs were super shorts (like, only cover the rod and not the body), it wouldnt really make any difference.

The springs don't absorb, the shocks (oil) are, the springs only hold the shocks at a specific height.

Even if the springs were super shorts (like, only cover the rod and not the body), it wouldnt really make any difference.

you have to up the oil weight to absorb more... i use 60k weight oil in my 6s shocks... not sure what is good for the 3s stuff..

I'm using the stock shocks and I keep losing fliud on huge jumps. I'm impatient do I went ahead and stretched front and back springs while rebuilding them ......again. my theory is that they may take a little bit of the impact out of a landing and help the shocks out just a little bit. just a little bit of stretch and they are noticeably stiffer. I guess we will see what happens. thanks for the input guys

I streched a set a while back, and while it did seem to increase the ride height, the stiffness seemed to get all screwed up, and not at the same rates. It sure felt like it would send the truck into somewhat of a roll whenever I jumped it. I didn't give it much of a chance and replaced them after one run and then just used the spacers instead. Is this for a mega or blx? If its a mega you can swap for the blx springs which are a little more stiff.

If you're losing fluid you may be overfilling them. You want the oil just to the top leaving a little space for the cap bladder. Make sure you're compressing the shock halfway or more when screwing on the top. When the cap is on, you should be able to fully compress the shock by hand and it should come out by itself albeit slowly in some cases.
Also as others have mentioned, springs do not help actual damping, they just help with the ride height of the vehicle and returning it to the proper height after a compression. Same with these people who think if they put a ton of pre-load on the shocks it makes them stiffer, which it does not.

If you're losing fluid you may be overfilling them. You want the oil just to the top leaving a little space for the cap bladder. Make sure you're compressing the shock halfway or more when screwing on the top. When the cap is on, you should be able to fully compress the shock by hand and it should come out by itself albeit slowly in some cases.
Also as others have mentioned, springs do not help actual damping, they just help with the ride height of the vehicle and returning it to the proper height after a compression. Same with these people who think if they put a ton of pre-load on the shocks it makes them stiffer, which it does not.

Granite shock. No bladder, no screwing on the top when filling. Totally different design than the 6s shocks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back