Granite Spur gear and slip hub Granite Mega 4X4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublearon77

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
Hi all,

This is my first post. I am new to RC cars in general, I purchased a Granite 4x4 mega last friday for my son, we loved it until yesterday, when we stripped the spur gear. I have been trying to locate one but all sources seem to be out of it ( Part# ARA311030). Are there any alternates I can use by changing the spur and pinion? We want to keep the stock motor for now.
Forgive my ignorance but, how can we avoid future premature failure of the spur gear? I'm sure this is due to user error. Any other parts you all recommend that I keep on hand or replace before failure?

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to learning from all of you.
Aaron

The Mega V1 & V2 used 48P gears. The new V3 uses 0.8Mod or 32P gears. Do you know which version you have?

I got the part#ARA311030 off of the parts list that came with the rc. So I assume it is 48p. I just bought brand new, How do I tell for sure?

Thanks for the quick reply!
The Mega V1 & V2 used 48P gears. The new V3 uses 0.8Mod or 32P gears. Do you know which version you have?
I got the part#ARA311030 off of the parts list that came with the rc. So I assume it is 48p. I just bought brand new, How do I tell for sure?

Ok then you might want to look into the newer V3 style, which is the slipper and pinion from the V3 mega line.

https://www.arrma-rc.com/products/-/30/1/ARA4202V3T1/STD/ALL/ALL

I updated my mega to steel when I went brushless and haven't had any issues...not that I had this problem before but going to brishless from brished adds a lot of stress to these gears ;)

Steel spur gear: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07LGF3G3Y/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Steel pinions:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FBWD2ZG?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Thank you! I was looking into those. Nobody seems to have these in steel nor plastic anywhere.

They'll come back in stock, eventually ;)

You could try searching Amazon for the specific spur...was in stock a couple of days ago :(

I updated my mega to steel when I went brushless and haven't had any issues...not that I had this problem before but going to brishless from brished adds a lot of stress to these gears ;)

Steel spur gear: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07LGF3G3Y/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Steel pinions:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FBWD2ZG?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
I was always under the impression that you wanted to keep a plastic spur cause it was cheaper to replace than a new motor or a new diff. I've been staying away from them because of that thought, but am I misinformed? Will a steel spur just push the failure point further down in the drivetrain, like the driveshafts or diff gears?

I was always under the impression that you wanted to keep a plastic spur cause it was cheaper to replace than a new motor or a new diff. I've been staying away from them because of that thought, but am I misinformed? Will a steel spur just push the failure point further down in the drivetrain, like the driveshafts or diff gears?
Haven't had any issues other than the rear input shaft shearing off. The plastic spur was wearing a lot faster on 3s, this is why I went steel and I bought the metal diff input because I heard it was an issue when converting a mega to 3s so when it did break I'd be ready, lasted almost a month before it finally sheared off. Other than that if you get all the parts listed you won't have issues ;)

Ok, another question. The HD input gear, is it all metal or just a metal core? After beefing up the input gear, is it ever a concern of then stripping the main gear in the rear diff?

Ok, another question. The HD input gear, is it all metal or just a metal core? After beefing up the input gear, is it ever a concern of then stripping the main gear in the rear diff?
Metal core. The teeth are still plastic. I haven't stripped a diff yet and bang 4s through my typhon!

Metal core. The teeth are still plastic. I haven't stripped a diff yet and bang 4s through my typhon!
Beautiful! Now I just have to wait for some to come in stock. Blew 2 input gears just yesterday, and LHS doesn't have anymore stock ones. Sigh.

Yes you can strip those gears. If you don’t shim the main gear side of the yoke, it will strip.

Could you elaborate a bit on that?
Sure, the bearing on the ring gear side of the diff gets a shim to make it snug in the diff yoke and keeps it pushed against the diff input gear.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back