Vorteks Spur Gear for Arrma Vorteks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blank

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Vorteks
Hey, it's me again, the person with the mesh problems. I messed up the mesh again, and the gear is pretty much non-existent. I'm thinking of getting a steel spur gear. Should I?

10000000x yes. I burned up 4 of the plastics and quickly understood that was going to continue. Steel spur for a long time now being very rough on it with 4s power. Just keeps you at peace knowing its not going to happen.......it shouldn't anyway

Yes on the metal spur gear, I use them on my Typhon, but keep one thing in mind, it will transfer the shock to a weaker point so once in a while you will have to replace something down the line. It sure beats replacing spur gears all the time.

The steel spur will destroy the pinion if the mesh is not set correctly. If setting the mesh is difficult get the fixed plate. Perfect mesh every time. https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR310874. It does limit the pinions to 13,15,20,&26.
Good bit cheaper than a steel spur and a replacement spur is $5 when it wears out.

I’ve been happy with the stock spur. I enjoy 3s and see no need for more power at this time. I’m having a blast seeing how much power I can get from these existing systems while still being dependable. If I was thinking of going 4s then yes but I would be upgrading more than just the spur to metal, I’d do the whole drivetrain. I have been running my granite for months jumping and beating the crap out of it and same with my vorteks. I’ve bent 3 motor mounts and cracked the spur case between the two cars but I’m still on stock spurs.

Each off these occurrences would end up with some minor damage to the spur which I would repair with sandpaper and a razor blade. The main thing is if I hear even a slight ‘off sound’ with our cars we stop driving, pull the motor and check. These things talk to you if you listen. If I had kept driving the car after any of the previous mentioned issues I would’ve destroyed the spur and more, not just just messed it up a bit. So if you hear a weird sound with your car or some thing that doesn’t seem right…stop. Go home. wrench on it.

I have been dealing with this with my granite. It started making a high-pitched whine so I immediately stoped driving it, brought it home, took it apart checked everything, redid the mesh adjusted the slipper… but when I put it back together it still made the sound so I took it apart again. Still no luck so I researched and asked on here. Ultimately figured out I need to tighten the slipper more now because the pads have worn over the months. About to start on that shortly and hope it works. If not I’ll take the stupid thing apart again. Also I ordered a new set of slipper pads in case I need them. Stock parts will work if treated right. Or kinda right or at least check them a lot if you like to abuse them.

Not long ago I pulled out a steel HR spur slipper assembly out of a granite. It was completely stripped as well as the pinion. I know it sounds like the holy grail but at the end of the day the mesh needs to be correct, regardless of steel or plastic. The key is setting it correct, use loctite and add washer on the motor screws, screw them down nice and tight. Let it sit for 24hrs before running.

The steel spur will destroy the pinion if the mesh is not set correctly. If setting the mesh is difficult get the fixed plate. Perfect mesh every time. https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR310874. It does limit the pinions to 13,15,20,&26.
Good bit cheaper than a steel spur and a replacement spur is $5 when it wears out.
I've had my pinion come loose with the steel spur and nothing happened to either. Guaranteed a plastic spur would have gotten chewed up lol
Maybe luck of the draw.

The thing is, the stock motor mount plate can bend at ANY time (lawn dart, hit a rock, curb,etc) when you lest expect it and once that happens, you WILL strip a plastic spur gear. That's the main culprit to stripping them, and of course not having the mesh proper.

I've had amazing results with the metal spur. I didn't realize my motor mount was bent on my typhon and it didn't do any damage to it. Not sure how long it was like that either but a plastic spur would have gotten chewed up.

You don't always get weird sounds either. My buddy a couple times would bring his rig in from LVC and after swapping batteries he would go to take off then all of a sudden high pitched whine and his spur would be missing all teeth lol If rocks get in there, it's going to chew it up. So i'ts also important to cut a hole in the chassis. That's the only things that has saved my gearing inside the housing.

Last edited:
Also check your motor mount plate. A bent motor mount plate will result in an uneven mesh. A bad mesh will create problems whether your spur gear is metal or plastic. I was using a metal spur for awhile, but my motor mount was probably slightly bent. Over time it stripped 3 pinions. Since then I've upgraded my motor mount and run a plastic spur gear without a problem. I also sealed the power module. Keeping dirt out of the power module also prevents stripped spur gears. With proper maintenance, I think a plastic spur gear holds up. That said, a metal spur gear is still probably more durable, especially during unexpected events like a bent/loose motor mount, seized motor bearing, etc.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back