Spur gear rubbing against motor mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiery

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
97C1EFDB-9A63-4503-A692-BDFECACA057C.jpeg
A996BC0F-8892-43C0-A34F-E79992F98BB9.jpeg
A996BC0F-8892-43C0-A34F-E79992F98BB9.jpeg
97C1EFDB-9A63-4503-A692-BDFECACA057C.jpeg
my spur gear has been rubbing against my motor mount hard core ever since last run and I was wondering if you knew a solution on how to fix it. It’s the silver line in the pics.

View attachment 12690 View attachment 12689 View attachment 12689 View attachment 12690 my spur gear has been rubbing against my motor mount hard core ever since last run and I was wondering if you knew a solution on how to fix it. It’s the silver line in the pics.

hmmmm...by last run...you mean hard landing?...yeah...something is off for sure...anything bent or bowed?...strange...

you got it torn down this far...tear it down all the way and send pics...hmmmm

I did take it down further before the pics and nothing was wrong with it so I put it back together partially. Ill look for bends tho

I found the same thing. After verifying that everything looks right, I am 99% sure that the that the center diff is not 100% flush to the mount which brings the spur closer to it. I pulled my diff in tight and that gave the clearance needed to make it fit properly.

I found the same thing. After verifying that everything looks right, I am 99% sure that the that the center diff is not 100% flush to the mount which brings the spur closer to it. I pulled my diff in tight and that gave the clearance needed to make it fit properly.
so you shimmed that slipper assembly out??

dude, hate to sound like a jerk, afro samurai is right, and I'm thinking while your at it, that bearing looks horrible man, open that up, and soak them guys, you be surprised how much a stuck bearing will slow/kill handling/to much to list, I have all the stock bearings, I posted somewhere, 5 days out of a new kit soaked in degreaser oil,silacone....than I pulled cleaned, and let them sit in a bath of a full tube of Acer son, synthetic oil, the stocks SPIN LIKE CRAZY NOW, I have ceramics coming, if you don't want to do, or, you ran in to much water without protecting metal, ill ship the whole set 20, 30$ confirmed to your house, than you can get into your truck, that will be the best 30 you ever spent, not just cause the bearings are degreased and coated...but you are more intimate with your machine, where as you don't have to come on here and ask how that happened.....TRUTH...... they require maintenance,

you have no idea, once my racing season starts up again, week to week, after every race, I have a system, during sun to sat, the car is completely stripped down, bearing taking a bath, changing any worn or broken parts, etc, its like a 2nd job......I do that EVERY DAY OF THE WEEEK FOR 6-8 MONTHS STRAIGHT, you surely can do it once...look I tore a big rock to pieces, I know nothing of this truck except I ordered it 2 weeks ago out of country

The issue here is that the spur gear has a brass bushing/bearing.... I have found if you make the mesh to tight it puts an uneven load on the brass piece that is pressed into the spur gear. The uneven pressure wears the brass unevenly causing the spur to sit uneven and grind into the mount. I replaced 3 Spurs before realizing the mesh was too tight even though I set it the traditional way. Experiment with a slighlty looser mesh until you find a combo that doesn't wear the brass bushing. I gaurantee if you remove the spur your brass is no longer tight on the shaft and it will show signs of wear. If the spur has ANY wobble on the shaft or the brass has any signs of deformation it's too much wear... This is probably the single worst flaw of the whole truck in my opinion because it's a pain in the ass to change, adjust, and inspect. Also the damn Spurs are kinda expensive. I wish they sold either the brass bushings so we could replace them or made this a bearing instead of brass... Wtf

The issue here is that the spur gear has a brass bushing/bearing.... I have found if you make the mesh to tight it puts an uneven load on the brass piece that is pressed into the spur gear. The uneven pressure wears the brass unevenly causing the spur to sit uneven and grind into the mount. I replaced 3 Spurs before realizing the mesh was too tight even though I set it the traditional way. Experiment with a slighlty looser mesh until you find a combo that doesn't wear the brass bushing. I gaurantee if you remove the spur your brass is no longer tight on the shaft and it will show signs of wear. If the spur has ANY wobble on the shaft or the brass has any signs of deformation it's too much wear... This is probably the single worst flaw of the whole truck in my opinion because it's a pain in the ass to change, adjust, and inspect. Also the damn Spurs are kinda expensive. I wish they sold either the brass bushings so we could replace them or made this a bearing instead of brass... Wtf

Great info thanks. Brass is soft so I can see it wearing unevenly. Wonder if some mod could be done to replace the brass with something more durable.

Great info thanks. Brass is soft so I can see it wearing unevenly. Wonder if some mod could be done to replace the brass with something more durable.
I have been thinking about trying something.... I haven't decided what that solution is yet. But I do not understand who thought it would be a good idea to use brass on a truck with so much power and weight on a part that is not the easiest thing to get to.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back