Granite Spur pinion adjustment.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisDown1

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hi fellow Granite lovers. I want to check out the factory adjustment of the pinion. It feels notchy and tight. I looked at the sketchy manual and it looks simple but in practice it isn’t. I’ve attached photos of the bitvi want removed. How does it come apart?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 8035E8E2-2BAC-4089-B8BC-200373809A27.jpeg
    8035E8E2-2BAC-4089-B8BC-200373809A27.jpeg
    464.8 KB · Views: 77
  • C4637D29-4E86-45FE-A991-D4B4A2B509E0.jpeg
    C4637D29-4E86-45FE-A991-D4B4A2B509E0.jpeg
    490.4 KB · Views: 55
Here's a video that shows you how to remove it. It shows a Senton Mega but it's same for the Granite BLX.

Last edited:
The mesh is preset with specific motor locations for the appropriate size pinions.. If its feeling notchy I'm sure the bearings are pretty smoked... there are multiple threads on here that explain the power module replacement... first time is the worst...

The mesh is preset with specific motor locations for the appropriate size pinions.. If its feeling notchy I'm sure the bearings are pretty smoked... there are multiple threads on here that explain the power module replacement... first time is the worst...
Thanks. The truck is new with only a few runs under its belt. It could just be me being a bit precious. I’m gonna just drive it and if Spur/pinion problems occur I’ll sort them then.
That’s when I’ll consult the power module removal threads.
Thanks for your reply ?

Sometimes small rocks and dirt can get wedged under the power module making it hard to slide out, give it a good blow out, and then just slowly pry it out with a screwdriver or something similar. They can be a pain to remove sometime.

Thanks. The truck is new with only a few runs under its belt. It could just be me being a bit precious. I’m gonna just drive it and if Spur/pinion problems occur I’ll sort them then.
That’s when I’ll consult the power module removal threads.
Thanks for your reply ?

Be sure to grab yourself a good set of rubber sealed bearings for the truck.. the factory bearings are shielded but not sealed, so a fair amount of debris will enter them in a short time... it's great practice to tear down and inspect all the bearings and gears very often.. the more often the better, you can save yourself some grief if you catch a failing bearing before it completely fails and strips gears... unfortunately the faster these things get, the faster they eat bearings..

Sometimes small rocks and dirt can get wedged under the power module making it hard to slide out, give it a good blow out, and then just slowly pry it out with a screwdriver or something similar. They can be a pain to remove sometime.
Thanks I will try that.:)

Agree with razorrc. When I turn the driveshaft, or two wheels at one end, I can feel the motor "cogging", something I'm familiar with from designing motor controls for DC permanent magnet motors many moons ago.

It has a different feel than the "notchiness" of improperly meshed gears. The only way I can describe it is that it feels "softer" than gear teeth being forced together because it's caused by the magnetic field, and not a solid mechanical "step" feeling.

The notchiness you feel could just be the 4-pole motor.
I agree here. Most people aren’t familiar with 4 pole brushless motors and think the resistance of the motor is a bad thing. That and the sound of metal gears.

Hi guys thanks for your reply’s. I followed the advice and removed the power module as per the video.

When I finally got the power module out there was all manner of crap underneath. Bits of everything I have been running over!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back