Typhon Squeaky driveshafts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
My driveshafts (I'm guessing it's them) in the front recently started to squeak. Completely unmounted them, checked the bearings and the diff, but couldn't find anything wrong. When I put it back together the squeaking stopped. But after my first run it started again and got louder.

Here's a video of the squeaking, if that helps:

Do you guys got any idea what this could be?

Thanks in advance!

The BB's. Inner/outer Hub BB's or even the Diff BB's. Where I would focus first. Trial and error, process of elimination.
Either replace the BB's or Clean and Lube them, if they're still in good enough condition. Sometimes the OE lube is just worn out.
Do you run your rig in the wet ?
Takes just one time, even by accident, and the BB'(s) would do this.
BTW, even the Pivot balls can sqeak. Needing a cleaning and adjustment. Been there also.
But you are describing a Rotational squeak??:unsure:
Video is hard to judge.

Thanks for the reply @SrC !

But you are describing a Rotational squeak??:unsure:
Yes, it starts squeaking when you turn the axles.
It's not the pivot balls, they don't rly make any noises.

Do you run your rig in the wet ?
I did once on accident, but that was more then 1 month before the squeaking started, so I didn't consider this.
Will try and lube the bearings and see if that fixes it.

Sometimes the OE lube is just worn out.
What's OE? ^^

What's OE? ^^
I like what SrC said I would do the same. OE = original equipment or original manufacturer equipment

I like to clean or blow my rigs when done, and I like to hit them with this when I place it on the shelf...just sharing, not saying you need to do this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WK5PW...undefined&crid=386F7SPYO9GJ8&sprefix=sc1&th=1

It just helps to lube and keep those squeaks down for plastic and joints, pivot balls, etc. Not a sub for new BB or true maintenance...

Thanks for the reply @SrC !

Yes, it starts squeaking when you turn the axles.
It's not the pivot balls, they don't rly make any noises.

I did once on accident, but that was more then 1 month before the squeaking started, so I didn't consider this.
Will try and lube the bearings and see if that fixes it.

What's OE? ^^
OE meaning the original BB Grease/lube.
If you have Metal shielded BB's you cannot cannot open them. But they can be soaked in a Solvent and blown/air dry and you can use a synthetic Oil on them. Add a drop or 2 of oil.
If they are Rubber sealed BB's, you can pop off the seals on both sides and clean and pack them with 1/3 grease both sides. (No more or the BB will lock up and gall out... NG) Then pop the seals back in. Rotate them and Wipe off any excess. I do this probably one or 2 times before the BB's need replacing. Alterntively you can just replace with a new set of Rubber sealed BB's. Many prefer to do this also. But in many cases BB's can be serviced. You may also find that the one or 2 squeaky BB's are just NG and need replacing. It should become obvious upon inspection before/ after cleaning them.
But I prefer my own grease. I will usually remove any OE grease with a solvent and use my own grease. I use Superlube. But any synthetic grease is fine. Even Mobil 1 Automotive grease is great.
Good luck. BTW it only takes one time for the BB's to get wet, then even a month later they will end up squeaking out of no where. Standard Chromium BB's rust out.

Last edited:
No Hope for this $Abec 9$ rated rubber sealed BB. My Son got caught in a rain storm while riding his $500. Scooter far from home. BB's were bricked within days.

20220707_142614.jpg

20220707_142603.jpg

No Hope for this $Abec 9$ rated rubber sealed BB. My Son got caught in a rain storm while riding his $500. Scooter far from home. BB's were bricked within days.

View attachment 230201

View attachment 230202
Last time I checked the BB's they looked nicer, so I guess there is still hope... :D

Thanks alot to both of you, will try and service my BB's and hope it'll fix the squeaking.

Certainly practice with your BB's. There is hope.

Just opened one BB and I'm guessing that's not what they are supposed to look like? ^^

But another thing, when I turned them, without the driveshaft in them, they sounded completely fine.

The knuckle part of the driveshafts however does sound a little squeaky (metal on metal sound) when I angle them a bit, but way quieter then when it was installed.

16581486631835578340522954994967.jpg

Final update in case someone else has these problems.

Services the BBs, but the squeaking persisted. Talked to some guy that is not into RC, but knows a lot about mechanical stuff and he told me to put some wd40 in the joints of the drive shaft and see if that stops the squeaking (also that it's not a permanent solution, as wd40 is a really bad lubricant). It worked and now I'm looking for some decent oil to use for it, that won't attract all the dirt.

But thanks again for your suggestions, it didn't hurt the BBs to get serviced and now I know how to do it. :)

The CVD driveshafts can also squeak!!
Forgot to mention this.:)
I use A DRY Lube on the pins and barrels of the CVD joints. (No oil, No Grease, Cleaned well first) Let the Dry Lube dry well. This will absoutely quiet the CVD squeak..... I periodically squirt a drop of Dry lube after a few runs into the CVD joints. A good dry lube is made of a Wax base. And it lubes as well as sheds dirt easily.
I use Dupont Chain Saver. Spray can is most economical, vs the liquid bottle. My CVD shafts, pins and barrels last very long now before wearing out.
Get the 14 oz size.
I also use it on my Bicycle chains. Bikes are my other hobby.
Stuff is awesome for RC use. Sometimes I use it on my rods and ends. Also on squeaky Hingepins. Cleans them out and lubes them. Doesn't attract dirt like grease or oil Does. Just NOT for USE on The BB's. Keep away from them.
I highly recommend this.

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Chain-Saver-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant/dp/B00D3G6FD4?th=1

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back