Kraton Stainless screws vs alloy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volcano

Reaction score
Which specific Kraton parts would be metal to metal and need alloy rather than stainless screws?

I can find some on my own but am sure to miss some.

I want to order 12.9 alloy (where possible) for metal to metal and stainless for the rest.
I'll be ordering screws sizes individually (in 50s and 100s) from AliExpress because I live in Japan, it will be loads cheaper and I'll get 10x the screws (to share). I'm not going to order a Kraton specific set from a U.S. based online shop. In any case car specific sets don't include alloy for the metal to metal parts.

Which specific Kraton parts would be metal to metal and need alloy rather than stainless screws?

I want to order 12.9 alloy (where possible) for metal to metal and stainless for the rest.
I'll be ordering screws sizes individually (in 50s and 100s) from AliExpress because I live in Japan, it will be loads cheaper and I'll get 10x the screws (to share). I'm not going to order a Kraton specific set from a U.S. based online shop. In any case car specific sets don't include alloy for the metal to metal parts.
I wouldn't even bother with stainless screws at all.

Almost everything metal that we use in our daily lives is an alloy of steel, aluminium, titanium or magnesium with additives. So "alloy" doesn't define a material. Stainless is also an alloy. Usually where I've seen people say just "alloy" they think aluminium alloy. Anyway, stick to regular screws. And don't forget threadlock on metal to metal! :)

Op mentions living in Japan getting getting plenty for less than we would normally spend on kits.
OP, if you'd like to list what metal on metal parts are present, maybe get a Kraton.
Or, I'll do the research for you and you give me free screws? lol

Almost everything metal that we use in our daily lives is an alloy of steel, aluminium, titanium or magnesium with additives. So "alloy" doesn't define a material. Stainless is also an alloy. Usually where I've seen people say just "alloy" they think aluminium alloy. Anyway, stick to regular screws. And don't forget threadlock on metal to metal! :)
Which exact threadlock are you guys using?

Which exact threadlock are you guys using?

I use Loctite blue (242) and the stuff which came in my Axial kit. Axial's goop turns to dust in time, but the 242 is good stuff. At work I have some of an unknown brand and it works well too. Anything will be better than straight metal into metal, that's bound to back out.

I use Loctite blue (242) and the stuff which came in my Axial kit. Axial's goop turns to dust in time, but the 242 is good stuff. At work I have some of an unknown brand and it works well too. Anything will be better than straight metal into metal, that's bound to back out.
OK. I have some low strength Red 222 loctite but maybe it's to weak?

I agree that any screw that has stress on it should be the 12-9 or at least 10-9 hardened screws, but i use as many SS screw as possible... All my battery tray, body mount, top mount (in the plastic), droop screws, shock pin retainers, and any others that do not stress hard are SS... I learned my lesson using SS screws on everything. They break and bend a lot easier than the factory screws and will cause you more problems while bashing hard.

I agree that any screw that has stress on it should be the 12-9 or at least 10-9 hardened screws, but i use as many SS screw as possible... All my battery tray, body mount, top mount (in the plastic), droop screws, shock pin retainers, and any others that do not stress hard are SS... I learned my lesson using SS screws on everything. They break and bend a lot easier than the factory screws and will cause you more problems while bashing hard.
I'm sure on the battery tray and receiver box you could even use aluminum screws, plus aluminum screws come in tons of different colors. Just be careful as they are easy to strip.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back