Kraton Steel drive shafts for 4s line

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blew out composite drive shaft. Was wondering if anybody has seen a driveshaft upgrade
Did it break at the u-joint? What were you doing when it went? Front or rear?

I have the Hot Racing metal driveshafts on my Granite. They are garbage. Expensive garbage. Yesterday the tiny bearing that is inside the diff (between the two outdrives that the HR driveshafts come with) disintegrated. That led to play inside and 3 of the 4 gears were damaged. Also one of the pins that holds the hollow end of the driveshaft to the outdrive sheared off. I’ve had nothing but problems with them. I’d love to see someone else make them.

When it come to plastic CVD replacements, I had more luck out of off brands than anything HR makes. MIP's stuff is so heavy that it can destroy diffs, they wrecked my Slash's diffs with great regularity. 3rd party hardened steel diffs fixed that. The only difference between now & then is that the Slash was around for 5-6 years with NO 3rd party upgrades whatsoever & cars now get them within a year. We're spoiled on that point but that's business. Arrma has all the CVD upgrades listed for the platform but they're sitting on them. They might be still in the design phase or they may have several versions that cause more problems than fix.

I was doing wheelies and broke where it connects to rear diff. Ripped ear off a shredded the teeth
I don't understand why we can't just put a 6s axle cup on our out drive and axle end and make our own axle for 3s and 4s, because I'm on my second axle, and I never punch it from a stop

Attachments

• 20190619_134321.jpg
    20190619_134321.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 109
When it come to plastic CVD replacements, I had more luck out of off brands than anything HR makes. MIP's stuff is so heavy that it can destroy diffs, they wrecked my Slash's diffs with great regularity.

I wonder why. I've been running MIP X-Duty cvd's on my stampede vxl 4x4 for nearly 2 years. I recently serviced the diffs because I started running 3S and wanted to start with a fresh set. Never shelled a diff in it yet. Spurs, yes. Stock plastic axles, stock center tube axle, but not diffs. I replaced the center with the tekno and it's holding up fine as well. The only issue I have with the MIP's is that the set screws like to come loose where they lock down on the diff output. So I make it part of my battery swap process to check all 4.

All this plastic driveshaft crap reminds me of an X-Maxx prototype with plastic E-Revo style driveshafts. I applaud whoever had the guts to call BS to that idea & get it nix'd but it still would have been funny as hell to see how much of a dud that would have been & how many decades it would have took to get corrected ? I love it that some folks can drive these cars w/o blowing them. I can't. I even tone down my trigger finger & it still doesn't help. I don't mind plastic shafts, but at least let the U-joints be metal. Bloody common sense PLEASE!

All this plastic driveshaft crap reminds me of an X-Maxx prototype with plastic E-Revo style driveshafts. I applaud whoever had the guts to call BS to that idea & get it nix'd but it still would have been funny as hell to see how much of a dud that would have been & how many decades it would have took to get corrected ? I love it that some folks can drive these cars w/o blowing them. I can't. I even tone down my trigger finger & it still doesn't help. I don't mind plastic shafts, but at least let the U-joints be metal. Bloody common sense PLEASE!
Considering it took them a decade to make the ERBEv2 which has steel axles... seems 10 years is how long it would have taken. :)

Did it break at the u-joint? What were you doing when it went? Front or rear?

I have the Hot Racing metal driveshafts on my Granite. They are garbage. Expensive garbage. Yesterday the tiny bearing that is inside the diff (between the two outdrives that the HR driveshafts come with) disintegrated. That led to play inside and 3 of the 4 gears were damaged. Also one of the pins that holds the hollow end of the driveshaft to the outdrive sheared off. I’ve had nothing but problems with them. I’d love to see someone else make them.

Man, your luck with those things has been terrible. I feel bad for ya. Not to hijack the thread but have they done anything for you yet as compensation? A replacement, a free sticker, something?

Man, your luck with those things has been terrible. I feel bad for ya. Not to hijack the thread but have they done anything for you yet as compensation? A replacement, a free sticker, something?
Not a thing. Won't even respond to email.

Well HR can go kiss my ass. Guess I will be using my heavy ass Arrma cup. I won't support a company that won't even answer a customer.
I can describe their customer support in one word: none.

For those of you who have stripped plastic driveshafts, did you tighten the slipper from stock or did you leave it? If you set it to do instant wheelies from a stop all the time, then yeah, it's probably not going to hold up.

For those of you who have stripped plastic driveshafts, did you tighten the slipper from stock or did you leave it? If you set it to do instant wheelies from a stop all the time, then yeah, it's probably not going to hold up.
I learned this lesson myself. I’ve since backed out at least a half turn. Haven’t popped one since.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back