Steel or plastic spur gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia mud

Reaction score
When off roading " bashing " is it better to use a steel or plastic spur gear. I keep destroying my pinion when I use a steel spur gear when I take it off road .any suggestions?

20210328_212957.jpg

I haven’t tried a steel spur yet on my 3s rigs but I think I will. I would think you would need a hardened steel pinion as well though.

If you are killing your pinion, something is wrong. Either mesh, or the motor mount is bent...or motor bearings shot. I use steel spur and a pretty stout motor on my Granite, no gear issues at all.

If you are killing your pinion, something is wrong. Either mesh, or the motor mount is bent...or motor bearings shot. I use steel spur and a pretty stout motor on my Granite, no gear issues at all.

This. I would look at the motor mount straightness, if you've properly mounted the motor (use washers or else the screws dig into the aluminum making fine mesh adjustments a real PITA), pinion/spur mesh and bearings both in the motor and the slipper assembly.

I have a metal spur on my senton along with the metal input and crown gears. I haven't had any problems cept too much power to my wheels lol. 4s going through it why I went with the metal.
I haven’t tried a steel spur yet on my 3s rigs but I think I will. I would think you would need a hardened steel pinion as well though.
I'm using the stock pinion along with theb4s slipper assembly everything working great for now it would seem.

I run the 4s slipper assembly in both my Sentons. Ones a 3s the other is 4s. The stock Senton pinions are softer metal for use on the plastic spur. 4s Spurs seem to be harder steel, the pinions wear out quickly. I’m running Robinson Racing pinions now, they’re hardened steel.

0E4300D6-F7B1-475D-983B-B191226A3E36.jpeg

D3B15760-7F4C-4068-8CE5-42B582E41016.jpeg

I run the 4s slipper assembly in both my Sentons. Ones a 3s the other is 4s. The stock Senton pinions are softer metal for use on the plastic spur. 4s Spurs seem to be harder steel, the pinions wear out quickly. I’m running Robinson Racing pinions now, they’re hardened steel.

View attachment 137591

View attachment 137592
I just dropped that same pinion gear in mine.

View attachment 137591

View attachment 137592
Well thats good to know so I'm probably going to get some. So far its been working good but I like to bash pretty hard myself so its probably going to be my next investment. And they have them in the. 8mod as well correct?

My mother does seem to be crooked. My mother mount looks a little strange too. A slight bend in it. I'll see what I can do. Thanks guys.

View attachment 137591

View attachment 137592
I looked on their site but how do I purchase from them? Wouldn't let me do anything g but look at the product..

Ahhh spell check I ment motor! Lol does this motor mount look bent? Or is it supposed to look like this?

20210406_190546.jpg

20210406_190537.jpg

View attachment 137591

View attachment 137592
I use these as well on my 4s typhon. Never chipped one tooth...I used them on 3s as well and beat the doodoo out of them...

Just put it in a vise....you know how many times I've torn this thing down ...looked at the motor mount and never thought about it. .lol. that's what I get for working on it after working hard all day

I purchased mine from Jenny's RC last year. You can order the spur gear by itself and use the 3s assembly.
I have the 4s steel spur gear assembly already with the metal input fears and crown gears. I meant the hardened pinion on Robertson racing.
I purchased mine from Jenny's RC last year. You can order the spur gear by itself and use the 3s assembly.
You also have to add a slipper pad as well if you use the 3s assembly if im not mistaken. But I just got the 4s I put the 6s from an infraction in my senton.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back