Granite Steel reinforced Granite?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinnyMac

Reaction score
as an RC newbie, I received my 3s granite a couple weeks ago,

since then I have spent
  • $94 on new rear axles (got the arrma cvd upgrades, would recommend)
  • $129 on a good (generic) "pro" lipo charger
The seller sold me a zop 6000mAH 3s battery for about 1/2 retail and the truck was cheap to begin with too.

Before my first battery pack was depleted I had popped my rear left universal joint and scuffed my body pretty bad. Rookie driving I understand, I had gone straight to the bmx track - lol.

Driveshafts replaced, I have turned my attention more toward the cosmetic. Using CAD (the cardboard kind) I determined the length of the inside of the body to me 404mm, given the space between the body clip posts (70mm one end, 71mm the other). I then cut this out on a thin sheet of steel I had in the garage, bent it out in a small vice after giving myself 30mm each end to bend back upon itself.

The truck has gained approx 300g weight. I haven't driven it yet.

Let me know what you think

Vince

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Don't think it's such a great idea. The durability of these 3s plastic rigs comes from the light weight of the rig. Adding needless weight just compromises the durability and makes it more prone to breakage in other areas.

I don’t think that’ll work too well. Ever heard of the shoo goo and fiberglass drywall tape method? Look it up on YouTube. Using that you can reinforce the entire body without gaining so much weight, which is a key thing with these 3S cars. You want to keep the weight down as much as possible to avoid additional damage.

Good luck trying it out And welcome to the forum!
I don’t think that’ll work too well. Ever heard of the shoo goo and fiberglass drywall tape method? Look it up on YouTube. Using that you can reinforce the entire body without gaining so much weight, which is a key thing with these 3S cars. You want to keep the weight down as much as possible to avoid additional damage.

Good luck trying it out And welcome to the forum!
Loosen the slipper clutch a bit And be a bit more gentle on the throttle while you’re learning how to drive it. That’ll help you with the driveshaft popping issue. Get some skids to help protect the body. Traxxas makes one for the tailgate but you have to cut about an inch out of the middle of it. Proline make some great skids and there’s also guys here on the forum that 3D print skids as well.

Yea i don't think that peice of metal in the body like that will help your deff goin break that body & don't let others discourage you thoe from trying new things thats the fun creating & customizing your rig
For example you could make something like this its more practical far as added protection

6C550D0A-BD2B-4482-9803-0543B7C3486F.png

One way to improve on that idea would be to flare it out at the body posts and put a hole in it for the post to go thru. The rear body posts are always the first thing to blow out the body.

So what is going on in this thread, what is the purpose of your invention, are u trying to reinforce the body!? Id say u did great at thinking outside the box!! But u did add a lot of extra weight that is unnecessary!?🥴

I understand trying to make the body last as long as possible, but one thing that you have to adjust with this hobby can be mindset. The body should really be considered a consumable, especially if you're bashing. Also, even when they get scuffed and cracked, they usually still have plenty of life in them. You can buy tougher "unbreakable" bodies, but they're usually just solid colors, but they can be painted, decals added, or many just run them as they come. There's also a company called T-bone racing that makes exoskeletons. Just some considerations.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unbreakabl...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

https://tboneracing.net/collections...exo-cage-external-roll-cage-arrma-granite-4x4

Last edited:
Yeah all the extra weight is unnecessary. I would recommend the shoe goo and drywall tape method. This is mine opinion and some others

+1 agreed.

@VinnyMac
If you're wanting to reinforce the body shell, then Shoe Goo & drywall tape is a proven method, see here >

IF however, you are looking to reinforce the chassis itself, then as @travykat have suggested - try my method >

Custom Carbon Fiber Center Brace [ Double Barrel ]

Thanks @travykat for the reference! 👍

thanks for the replies everyone. I took the steel back out and will look at other options when i get the chance.

in the meantime I am just trying to crash it less on its rear end 😋😋

thanks for the replies everyone. I took the steel back out and will look at other options when i get the chance.

in the meantime I am just trying to crash it less on its rear end 😋😋
That $10 Traxxas tailgate protector I think I mentioned previously really does work. Just have to trim a bit out of the middle. This body is around 11 months old and has been thoroughly beaten at the skate park.

CC28B633-9C51-41FC-8386-60F731B520CA.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back