Steering. Barely turning right. Granite mega 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wakeboard994

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
Hey guys. This is my first car so I’m not too familiar with the parts or how to troubleshoot yet.
I have a new granite mega 4x4. Lately it barely turns right. It turns left on a dime. Just barely turns right. Any thoughts?

Have you looked for obstructions between the steering rack and the chassis. Rocks love to get in there.

I did. I feel like there isn’t anything in there. It turns tight when i do it manually with my hands.
It’s time to take out the servo and try by hand to see where the issue is. If the servo turns fine with it disconnected then it’s probably something in the steering or linkage.

Did you have any luck figuring out what your problem was? I just got in and my car would turn but it was turning very wide. It would take forever to turn it around. I checked the steering rack and it seemed ok. Would it be possible since I went to brushless that I have burned up a gear or something? I learned that lesson with the spur gear.

Let me know if you had any luck trouble shooting.

Did you have any luck figuring out what your problem was? I just got in and my car would turn but it was turning very wide. It would take forever to turn it around. I checked the steering rack and it seemed ok. Would it be possible since I went to brushless that I have burned up a gear or something? I learned that lesson with the spur gear.

Let me know if you had any luck trouble shooting.

If you are still using the stock Mega servo I would start there and replace it with a metal gear one with more torque. You can pick up a DS3218 or DS3225 servo cheap. There is a lot of slop in the steering in general also so Hot Racing pivot balls, bearings to replace bushings in the steering bellcrank and get a better servo saver like a Kimbrough 124 servo saver. Being brushless now you might want to change to diff fluid instead of the stock grease in the Mega diffs (if you are still using them).

If you are still using the stock Mega servo I would start there and replace it with a metal gear one with more torque. You can pick up a DS3218 or DS3225 servo cheap. There is a lot of slop in the steering in general also so Hot Racing pivot balls, bearings to replace bushings in the steering bellcrank and get a better servo saver like a Kimbrough 124 servo saver. Being brushless now you might want to change to diff fluid instead of the stock grease in the Mega diffs (if you are still using them).
Good information. If I purchase the servo listed below is it as simple as pulling out the current red one and putting this one in the same spot? Thank for the help

https://www.amazon.com/DS3225-25KG-...hild=1&keywords=DS3225&qid=1590203982&sr=8-14

Thank you for the advice. I took the servo out and it was running very limited range and very rough. I ordered what you recommended off amazon and it should be here tomorrow. I also got the 3S battery in the mail today. So if everything arrives we should be running great tomorrow. I also ordered the Kimbrough 124 but that will be a couple days. So hopefully I am able to use the one that I have for the time being. How do you tell if the servo saver is broke? It seems fine but I don't really know what it does.

Thank you for the advice. I took the servo out and it was running very limited range and very rough. I ordered what you recommended off amazon and it should be here tomorrow. I also got the 3S battery in the mail today. So if everything arrives we should be running great tomorrow. I also ordered the Kimbrough 124 but that will be a couple days. So hopefully I am able to use the one that I have for the time being. How do you tell if the servo saver is broke? It seems fine but I don't really know what it does.

How has everything worked out for you? I have the same issue as you. Stock servo in my Granite 4x4 Mega is toast. I have no idea what to replace it with. From what I hear, the 2A BEC provided by the stock ESC in the Mega might not be enough ampage to turn that servo you bought. please give me an update.

@Gregorinho26 I've never heard of the ESC being the issue. I'm not too familiar with the Mega versions but I do have the BLX Senton 3S . I noticed my servo struggled to turn or find the nuetral point. The servos Arrma uses are junk. Replace with a nice Savox 1258TG or DS3218 from Amazon. Checking into the servo saver I hear it's a knock off Kimbrough. Now the Kimbrough will need some modifications. Drill a hole and equip the correct screw and nut with metal loctite. The most user friendly option is the hot racing servo saver. No modifications! Speaking of Hot Racing I'd recommend their Bellcrank, eliminating slop in the steering . New metal sealed bearings should help but the bellcrank is the proper way.

How has everything worked out for you? I have the same issue as you. Stock servo in my Granite 4x4 Mega is toast. I have no idea what to replace it with. From what I hear, the 2A BEC provided by the stock ESC in the Mega might not be enough ampage to turn that servo you bought. please give me an update.
So the latest for me is that I got frustrated a week ago and dropped it off to the LHS and asked him to fix it. My servo seemed fine but I toasted my transmission. Literally, everything except the HR spur gear was ruined. Including the housing that holds the slipper/spur..etc.

I am just waiting for them to repair it and I’ll give to my son and not let him use 3S. I’m gonna buy the Kraton 6S when the LHS gets their shipment. Hopefully before I head to Michigan for the summer.

Have you had any other problems?

@Gregorinho26 I've never heard of the ESC being the issue. I'm not too familiar with the Mega versions but I do have the BLX Senton 3S . I noticed my servo struggled to turn or find the nuetral point. The servos Arrma uses are junk. Replace with a nice Savox 1258TG or DS3218 from Amazon. Checking into the servo saver I hear it's a knock off Kimbrough. Now the Kimbrough will need some modifications. Drill a hole and equip the correct screw and nut with metal loctite. The most user friendly option is the hot racing servo saver. No modifications! Speaking of Hot Racing I'd recommend their Bellcrank, eliminating slop in the steering . New metal sealed bearings should help but the bellcrank is the proper way.
Thank you for the advice. But from what I can see, there is quite a big BEC power difference in the BLX and Mega. The BLX ESC provides 6A vs the weak 2A in the Mega ESC. Big difference. I just don't want to buy a servo that will be too powerful for my ESC. And I don't really have the money to start swapping out all the parts.
So the latest for me is that I got frustrated a week ago and dropped it off to the LHS and asked him to fix it. My servo seemed fine but I toasted my transmission. Literally, everything except the HR spur gear was ruined. Including the housing that holds the slipper/spur..etc.

I am just waiting for them to repair it and I’ll give to my son and not let him use 3S. I’m gonna buy the Kraton 6S when the LHS gets their shipment. Hopefully before I head to Michigan for the summer.

Have you had any other problems?
To be really truthful, no issues with my Mega until now. I have had it for about a year, and my son and I drive it 3-4 time per week. Even through the crappy Canadian winter we just had. I have always taken good care of it. Oiling the bearings, cleaning the brushed motor, changing the shock oil etc. Never had an issue. Drive it with 2S Lipos. The thing is a tank! But now I am having these stupid servo problems and I am lost at what to buy. As I just mentioned in the thread above, I don't want to buy another Arrma servo, but I don't want to get something too powerful that will too strong for the ESC / BEC and it won't work well. Let me know what your LHS does with your please.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back