Kraton Steering Bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
After @Yonic pointed out that Tower Hobbies listed different sized bearings for the steering I reexamined the steering rack and learned that in addition to 4 bushings on the steering posts there are 4 actual metal shielded bearings in the assembly. The size is the same as the ones you use to replace the steering bushings on the 6s trucks: 6x10x3. Here is how you get to them:

First you need to remove the hex pins that hold the upper arms to the shock tower. Them you will remove the rear upper pin brace (it sits on top of the steering posts.
20191205_103826.jpg

Once removed it will look like this:
20191205_103836.jpg

Pay special attention to the small silver shims that sit on top of the steering posts. You do not want to lose these. You can remove them now or have them come off when you remove the steering assembly. I took them off first.
20191205_105653.jpg

20191205_103906.jpg

Now you can remove the steering assembly by simply sliding it off the steering posts. The bottom bushings may stay on the posts or they may stay in the assembly.
20191205_103937.jpg

Now these are the bushings I was going to try and replace with bearings and it's what I was referring to in my original beating post.
20191204_191929.jpg

The inside diameter is 6mm, outside is 8mm and the width is 5mm. I couldn't easily find bearings this size and I will probable just leave the bushings.

Once you have the steering assembly off you need to remove the little arms. That's where you will find the 6x10x3 bearings. You will need 4 to do both side (two in each).
20191205_104035.jpg

I am going to edit my other post once again. Thanks @Yonic for pointing this out ???

Attachments

• 20191205_104031.jpg
    20191205_104031.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 41
I am not positive, but I think only having 2mm between ID and OD isn’t enough for races, let alone balls.

I am not positive, but I think only having 2mm between ID and OD isn’t enough for races, let alone balls.
That brass bushing is much too thin to duplicate its ID and OD dimension in a ball raced bearing. :) IMO. So those bushings should remain as non- upgradeable. If anything, an ultra fine Needle/roller bearing design would work. If it even exists that small.

Maybe someone will make a kit for bearings
I don't quite like the route arrma took for the 8s kraton about the servo really should have staid a normal sized servo or a big servo woth a lot of room for upgrades

Maybe one of the good aftermarket companies can make the posts/arms out of 7075 so the hole can be larger for bearings. I’m not a fan of bushings
After @Yonic pointed out that Tower Hobbies listed different sized bearings for the steering I reexamined the steering rack and learned that in addition to 4 bushings on the steering posts there are 4 actual metal shielded bearings in the assembly. The size is the same as the ones you use to replace the steering bushings on the 6s trucks: 6x10x3. Here is how you get to them:

First you need to remove the hex pins that hold the upper arms to the shock tower. Them you will remove the rear upper pin brace (it sits on top of the steering posts.
View attachment 56294
Once removed it will look like this:
View attachment 56295

Pay special attention to the small silver shims that sit on top of the steering posts. You do not want to lose these. You can remove them now or have them come off when you remove the steering assembly. I took them off first.
View attachment 56300
View attachment 56296
Now you can remove the steering assembly by simply sliding it off the steering posts. The bottom bushings may stay on the posts or they may stay in the assembly.
View attachment 56297
Now these are the bushings I was going to try and replace with bearings and it's what I was referring to in my original beating post.
View attachment 56301
The inside diameter is 6mm, outside is 8mm and the width is 5mm. I couldn't easily find bearings this size and I will probable just leave the bushings.

Once you have the steering assembly off you need to remove the little arms. That's where you will find the 6x10x3 bearings. You will need 4 to do both side (two in each).
View attachment 56299

I am going to edit my other post once again. Thanks @Yonic for pointing this out ???

Appreciate you ripping things apart to figure this truck out.

Maybe someone will make a kit for bearings
I don't quite like the route arrma took for the 8s kraton about the servo really should have staid a normal sized servo or a big servo woth a lot of room for upgrades
Hey man. I like you so don't take this the wrong way. You don't know what the f#ck you are talking about.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back