Notorious Steering bell crank stripped.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Notorious
  3. Typhon TLR
While I was trying to tighten the servo saver I ended up twisting too hard and stripped the top bell crank. I know which replacement part I need, now my question is how do I get to it? Do I just need to take the bottom nut off?

#ARAC9360​

Arrma uses a ton of RED Thread lock on those 4 bell crank screws. Top and bottom ones. Stuff is like gorilla snot cement. You should have heated those bolts up with a heat gun or Soldering iron tip for a minute or 2. Hope you use a quality hand driver as well.👍

Stripped, I would drill out the head with the right size drill bit. On the chassis side. Be careful. take your time. You may save the Steering post by retrieving what's left of the screw with Vice grips and heat. Been there. Learned the hard way also.
I just use barely a drop of Blue TL if that. They can loosen up with no TL at all. FWIW. Then always use heat to remove in the future. But RED TL is generally permanent on small RC fasteners. Red is for much larger fasteners. Known in the industry.
Don't know why Arrma doesn't just use Blue TL. 🤷‍♂️

Trying to spin the hex off the part at the top just spins. Where should I specially heat?

image.jpg

I'm confused, what is broken? I do not see anything in the picture and the part you listed is the servo saver plastic itself, did you strip that plastic?
If can throw away that plastic you can heat the snot out of the aluminum and that will break the loctite.

Honestly I would just twist the hex nut back into position and keep using it.

Yea too much heat and the plastic will melt. Been there also.
But you need heat.

Edit: I never agreed that TL should be used on alu to alu parts. Def not Red TL. It's almost permanent. It is acidic and the 2 alu parts seize together. You may find yourself damaging the hex beyond use, where your vice grips are. Been there also.
Yu can try. May have better luck than I.

I see you are trying to replace the hub with an adjustable one? trying to save the plastic? IDK.

Tell us more. :cool:

Last edited:
Loctite or whatever they are using is hit and miss. The V4's were notorious for having gallons of that stuff being used. They addressed it at some point but this is a quality thing that is hard to control. I wish they banned all loctite, except on the pinion, but that is just me.

Last edited:
loctite or whatevcer they are using is hit and miss. The V4's were notorious for having gallons of that stuff being used. They addressed it at some time but this is a quality thing that is hard to control. I wish they banned all loctite except on the pinion but that is just me.
Guess they took a nap as mine went down the assy. Line🤷‍♂️

@leroychurchill i tried to tell you about the heat. Mine came off with no prob but i also have a v4 sorry it broke though.
The threads are at the bottom where your vice grips are near the spring. Heat goes there. 👍

While I was trying to tighten the servo saver I ended up twisting too hard and stripped the top bell crank. I know which replacement part I need, now my question is how do I get to it? Do I just need to take the bottom nut off?

#ARAC9360​

Replace it with a HR setup! Way better and adjustable.

2E8DAA66-6FE8-4A0A-A3A1-367F29E7AADA.jpeg

Im guessing the v5 have a load of red Lt on them. My saver came apart with no heat and no issues. It was tight but not taf
My V4 fixed SS the same, but it was welded with TL. Many just shim them up. Easier.
But the V3 adjustable hubs are still available. I use them on some of my rigs. With a few drops Blue TL. The v3's were known to loosen without. Need to get the plastic parts also sometimes. I mangled several V4 hubs.
When heating the TL, you need to smell it baking and liquifying and then it is hot enough in most cases.
Replace it with a HR setup! Way better and adjustable.

View attachment 128899
HR another option. Or just use the V3 adjustable Hub.

Last edited:
Push up from the bottom until the nut pops out from the top and clamp it in a vice. Then take a wrench to the bottom nut.

I've done 8-10 of these (replaced all my V4/V5 tubes with V3 adjustable tubes) and not once has any red loctite caused me any issue using this method.

vice.jpeg

Anyone know what size the 2 bottom screws that go into the steering posts are? I tried using the manual part numbers and it seems like they're too long. I can't reuse the old ones as they are sheered off down inside the old posts.

Edit: 4x12 was right. Arrma just doesn't thread new parts. 👍

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back