Kraton Steering bellcrank broken?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyj18

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So I was out bashing today and I noticed my steering was super sluggish. The wheels would hardly turn at all when the truck was stopped or driving slow. I thought maybe it was a Servo problem at first but when I pulled the cover to investigate. The steering bellcrank I thought was broken. It has a big split in the middle and when the servo moves the top part a gap opens up right in the middle so the torque isn’t applied to the wheels. It’s a sharp looking break so I thought I had busted the bellcrank but after looking up the new part it appears it comes like that? Part AR340073. It also looks like there is some kind of tension spring under the bellcrank. Can I tighten that to allow more torque to be transferred to the wheels?

It’s kinda hard to describe I have attached a few pictures. Help! I can’t tell if it’s broken or just adjusted bad?!?

Attachments

• 8182C75E-0522-4EF2-B92B-2CD708F62606.jpeg
    8182C75E-0522-4EF2-B92B-2CD708F62606.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 305EE06D-2A7B-4DA8-83DD-BAAB05AD1532.jpeg
    305EE06D-2A7B-4DA8-83DD-BAAB05AD1532.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 91
  • BEDE3477-58FD-409B-8D46-FC884A91A3B7.jpeg
    BEDE3477-58FD-409B-8D46-FC884A91A3B7.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 99
That would be a servo saver... you can tighten it a bit but just keep in mind that if it's too tight, you will put more pressure on your other steering components. If separating under normal turning, it just needs to be tightened.

Also try lubricating the other swivel points. They can start to seize up without proper maintenance...

So I was out bashing today and I noticed my steering was super sluggish. The wheels would hardly turn at all when the truck was stopped or driving slow. I thought maybe it was a Servo problem at first but when I pulled the cover to investigate. The steering bellcrank I thought was broken. It has a big split in the middle and when the servo moves the top part a gap opens up right in the middle so the torque isn’t applied to the wheels. It’s a sharp looking break so I thought I had busted the bellcrank but after looking up the new part it appears it comes like that? Part AR340073. It also looks like there is some kind of tension spring under the bellcrank. Can I tighten that to allow more torque to be transferred to the wheels?

It’s kinda hard to describe I have attached a few pictures. Help! I can’t tell if it’s broken or just adjusted bad?!?

That is the servo saver. It protects your servo from damage if one of the wheels hits something. The nut is for adjustment. Typically the nut ends up 4-5 mm above the chassis when they are tight enough. You want it just tight enough to get full steering without it opening up. That said, Have you set your steering end points yet ?

That is the servo saver. It protects your servo from damage if one of the wheels hits something. The nut is for adjustment. Typically the nut ends up 4-5 mm above the chassis when they are tight enough. You want it just tight enough to get full steering without it opening up. That said, Have you set your steering end points yet ?

Thanks! Yea the nut is down right on the chassis. Is there a trick to adjusting it or do i just try to stick my fingers in there?

Have not set end steering points either. How is that adjusted from the transmitter?

Thanks guys!
Sam

There is a hole in the chassis right next to the nut. You can insert an Allen wrench or small screwdriver just far enough to catch the nut and wedge it against it to hold it. Start by turning the wheels by hand fully to the right (looking at it as if you are sitting in the truck) Insert the tool to hold the nut, then turn the wheels fully left, release the tool and repeat until the adjustment is where you want it. The end point adjustment procedure is in your manual. Make sure your ST D/R knob on your transmitter is turned fully clockwise (Max) before setting the end points. Set the truck on a coffee can or stand so the wheels are off the surface you are working on. Listen closely when adjusting the end points, the servo will emit a faint whine (hard to hear over the ESC fan sometimes) when the adjustment is set too far, (You can unplug the ESC fan while doing this, just make sure you plug it back in with the wires in the same orientation they were originally) The procedure is done for both left and right.

for a little bit I was confused when looking at the pictures as I don't see anything broken.

If need be a few drops threadlocker so it does not unscrew.

Do they have a video on this for the 3s blx big rock?
No
The servo saver for the 1/10th scale Big Rock is attached directly to the servo, and is a completely different setup that the 6s vehicles.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back