Notorious Steering block help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
I’m tryimg to get that stupid little thing it the wheel loose, idk what it’s called, but my driver is in it, will I need to buy a flamethrower to get rid of the thread lock? If so, anyone have a flamethrower for cheap?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 72
If you posses a soldering iron, heat it and stick it in there to loosen the red thread lock. After a few minutes the bond will loosen enough to allow you to break through and unscrew.
If you don't have a soldering iron, torch on the tool will work eventually. be careful to not burn or melt plastic.
Heat is the key but a flamethrower may be more than you need. Patience and heat. You may eventually be thankful that it's tight as it comes stock. Easier to work with now than losing nuts because they weren't secured out of the box imo. Kinda part of owning Arrma trucks is knowing we wont lose parts and red thread lock is a welcome obstacle in the grand scheme. ???
Best of luck!

Last edited:
If you don't have a torch or solder iron just use a candle or lighter and hold the hex over it for a few seconds at a time. The wheel t wrench that came with your kit is made to hold that 17mm hex and run your driver down thru it.

If you posses a soldering iron, heat it and stick it in there to loosen the red thread lock. After a few minutes the bond will loosen enough to allow you to break through and unscrew.
If you don't have a soldering iron, torch on the tool will work eventually. be careful to not burn or melt plastic.
Heat is the key but a flamethrower may be more than you need. Patience and heat. You may eventually be thankful that it's tight as it comes stock. Easier to work with now than losing nuts because they weren't secured out of the box imo. Kinda part of owning Arrma trucks is knowing we wont lose parts and red thread lock is a welcome obstacle in the grand scheme. ???
Best of luck!
Ok, someone said a soldering iron wouldn’t work, btw, I’m upgrading to the hot racing steering blocks, I didn’t realize they had carbon fiber and yelled “HOLY CRAP!!” at like 8:00 at night lol. Thanks!
If you don't have a torch or solder iron just use a candle or lighter and hold the hex over it for a few seconds at a time. The wheel t wrench that came with your kit is made to hold that 17mm hex and run your driver down thru it.
Huh, I didn’t know that i could do that with the t wrench thing, thanks!

Flamethrower you say?
barriethrowflame.jpg

I think a mini torch or a soldering iron would work just fine.

It’s a set screw holding the pin in that holds the hex hub on the axel. Make sure you’re using a good tool too. MIP or something similar. Cheap tools will round out or strip the set screw. The hot racing steering blocks are awesome. I have em on my kraton. Highly recommend. But they don’t help with this problem lol. Good luck!

It’s a set screw holding the pin in that holds the hex hub on the axel. Make sure you’re using a good tool too. MIP or something similar. Cheap tools will round out or strip the set screw. The hot racing steering blocks are awesome. I have em on my kraton. Highly recommend. But they don’t help with this problem lol. Good luck!
Yeah, this is just a disassembly problem

I’ve found that a larger handle on your driver gives you the torque needed to break these loose. I have a DeWALT in-line powered screwdriver that has a handle you can get a much better grip on than your standard driver. This in conjunction with a good quality hex tip and I was able to break mine down without heat. I used a 17mm box wrench to hold the hub for more leverage.

Well I used my Tamiya rc toolkit thingy, apperantly, thats too cheap for the set screw, crap, what should I do now?

Well I used my Tamiya rc toolkit thingy, apperantly, thats too cheap for the set screw, crap, what should I do now?

If you heated it up real good to loosen up the cement like lock tight the arrma factory uses it may have been okay haha. There’s a trick I use at work for getting out stripped Hex heads. Get one of those wide flat rubber bands and lay it in the stripped head. Shove your tool in it real good and give it a crank. But the lock tight is probably still grippin pretty good so that might not work. So You could take the axel out of the steering block and drill through the set screw with a drill bit just under 5 mm, don’t go through the little pin or you’ll have to replace that along with the set screw. You may have to run a 5mm tap through the threads. Or if you have e-z outs use the smallest drill that will allow for the smallest e-z out. And if you can’t do any of that, buy a new axel lol

If you heated it up real good to loosen up the cement like lock tight the arrma factory uses it may have been okay haha. There’s a trick I use at work for getting out stripped Hex heads. Get one of those wide flat rubber bands and lay it in the stripped head. Shove your tool in it real good and give it a crank. But the lock tight is probably still grippin pretty good so that might not work. So You could take the axel out of the steering block and drill through the set screw with a drill bit just under 5 mm, don’t go through the little pin or you’ll have to replace that along with the set screw. You may have to run a 5mm tap through the threads. Or if you have e-z outs use the smallest drill that will allow for the smallest e-z out. And if you can’t do any of that, buy a new axel lol
I ended up hitting it out with a little gunsmithimg kit thingy

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back