Typhon Steering Block Sheared

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matflat

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon 3s
Hello again, just wanted to ask if any one has experience in breaking steering blocks? I think I over tightened screws and wanted to check if there is a rule of thumb when going over the Typhon with a set of Allen wrenches? I also have been blasting it a little and did hit the front a little bit on a really small jump on a speed bump, but nothing I’d call crazy. Got replacement parts ordered but any advice would be awesome.

764DDD1F-2899-4DD4-A42A-5D7EA05A3AEC.jpeg

Just common failure when hit, rolled, slammed correctly.. The bottom was most likely broken long before it snapped completely out...

No offense to you by any means, but driver error is the culprit, you could tighten the screws until you strip and pull every thread out and it would not snap like it did.... It's all part of being into rc...

As far as tightening screws into plastic, or anything for that matter, it's an acquired feel learned from experience and attention..

For sure if your full palm gripping the driver's to turn the screws your going to over tighten and most likely strip the holes... 2 finger tips and a thumb tip on the driver handle...👍

Grab a spare set of hubs to have on hand for a breakage like this...less down time in the end..✌️

First off, don't use L-shaped Allen wrenches, use hex drivers (similar to a screwdriver). And don't crank down on the fastener: as Camaroboy383 says, using only two fingertips and a thumb on the hex driver handle will help prevent damage from overtightening.

I use Hot Racing aluminum steering blocks and rear axle carriers on my Typhon 3s to prevent breakage of those parts from improper maintenance or impact damage. I've hit immovable objects with the front wheels of my Typhon 3s at high speed and I haven't broken the aluminum parts yet.

First off, don't use L-shaped Allen wrenches, use hex drivers (similar to a screwdriver). And don't crank down on the fastener: as Camaroboy383 says, using only two fingertips and a thumb on the hex driver handle will help prevent damage from overtightening.

I use Hot Racing aluminum steering blocks and rear axle carriers on my Typhon 3s to prevent breakage of those parts from improper maintenance or impact damage. I've hit immovable objects with the front wheels of my Typhon 3s at high speed and I haven't broken the aluminum parts yet.
Agree with @morrjr71 i have started to replace my rear blocks with the Hot Racing ones when i landed poorly at a skate park. Take a look at these https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=ATF2101;c=1407

@morrjr71 - yuep i learned the hard way with l shaped allen keys, got a proper wrench set now - no stopping me :) can take everything apart with these wrenches. Going to start either stockpiling stock parts or upgrading (depending on stock levels here in South Africa).

Wanted to chime in, my steering block broke exactly the same way just a few minutes into my first battery 😱. I was wondering why the left wheel had so much (negative) camber. When I took off the wheel to investigate I found this. 🤔

@morrjr71 won’t upgrading to aluminum C hubs and steering blocks just transfer damage up the chain?

IMG_5690.jpeg

Last edited:
Pick your poison wisely. TBH, looks like driver error. Crap happens. Replace with less expensive OE Plastic or alloy. The choice is yours. Driver error will always get the best of any part. Alloy or not. Alloy is no substitute for better driving skills. I tend to stay with OE Plastic and move on. As you drive better, you will break less.
Yes alloy upgrade parts will simply transfer impact force to the next weakest link/part(s), i.e. Arms. Sometimes that part(s) being even more costly. :cool:
Many of these parts are designed to be Sacrificial. And it's more economical to replace with OE. The choice is yours as long as you considered both paths. Pros and cons.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back