Outcast Steering headaches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Necroscope

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi guys,

A little help please. My outcast steering is driving me nuts!

A few months back a bent steering rack (AR340060) ended up killing the steering servo. I corrected this but since then the servo saver will not stay tight. Every second run the nut is at the bottom resulting in little to no response under load/driving. It works fine when elevated, as you would suspect.

If i tighten the nut as much as i can, which is about the ideal 5mm from the chassis, its better but still not great.

I will strip the front end down this week, but wondered if there was anything i should be looking for?

I will try and add some PTFE tape to the servo saver to stop it slipping.

Is an aluminium servo mount going to help?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well I lost another ADS-15M last night. You can hear the servo spinning as the gears have gone.....

I have removed the servo horn and disconnected the track rod ends and the steering rack moves free.

Am i just really unlucky or could there be another problem?

You will definitely need to get an aluminum servo mount. The stock servo does not stand a chance without one. I got a voltage hobbies one and works well. I think the gka one is better cause it’s all one piece. I also bought a savox 1210sg which is awesome. Hope this helps you

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.

I run 1210's in my Revo, they are impressive.

The servo mount wont stop the stock servo from stripping its gears though will it? It will just help it actually turn the wheels right?

Well I lost another ADS-15M last night. You can hear the servo spinning as the gears have gone.....

I have removed the servo horn and disconnected the track rod ends and the steering rack moves free.

Am i just really unlucky or could there be another problem?
The stock servo has brass gears which strip easily. Check out the thread below and pick out an aftermarket servo and it also wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade to an aluminum servo mount while you are at it and have it apart.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/kraton-servo-upgrade.398/

IMHO, I don't think the servo mount has anything to do with either of your issues.

For the SS, you can add some blue threadlock, and that will help it stay were you put it.

For the servo stripping gears, yeah, brass gear on a 1/8 high power MT won't last. Get a decent steel gear or titanium gear servo, strong and fast. Savox has several good ones (I run a 2270sg in my Kraton), and there are JX and Bluebird options that are $30-$50 if you need a budget servo.

The Mount - yeah, it flexes, and yeah, I did the aluminum mount for my Talion. Did it help? yeah, it held the servo firm, but I still stripped a ADS15. On that truck, I upgraded to a Protec 150T, and never had any more servo issues.

Thanks guys, that's all very helpful.

I guess a flexing servo mount is almost acting like a second servo saver.

I've stripped gears in my stock servo, I like to investigate broken parts so when I looked inside I saw 2 teeth broken on the center sprocket, I cleaned it all out and when I put it back together I rotated the broken gear 180 degrees as it doesn't turn all the way round and it works like new, just reset end points and back to bashing

Hi Pete,

The first time it stripped it had lost about 5 teeth. I already had the new gears, so i swapped them all out regardless.

I did at the time wonder if it could be rotated, but i never investigated further.

I will this time though, brilliant advice, thank you.

I've stripped gears in my stock servo, I like to investigate broken parts so when I looked inside I saw 2 teeth broken on the center sprocket, I cleaned it all out and when I put it back together I rotated the broken gear 180 degrees as it doesn't turn all the way round and it works like new, just reset end points and back to bashing
That’s an awesome idea thanks pete

No eworrie guys, glad you like.

From what I saw its only about a quarter of that center gear that gets used if the grease pattern was anything to go by, I reckon 5,6 teeth you could possibly still get away with

IMHO, I don't think the servo mount has anything to do with either of your issues.

For the SS, you can add some blue threadlock, and that will help it stay were you put it.

For the servo stripping gears, yeah, brass gear on a 1/8 high power MT won't last. Get a decent steel gear or titanium gear servo, strong and fast. Savox has several good ones (I run a 2270sg in my Kraton), and there are JX and Bluebird options that are $30-$50 if you need a budget servo.

The Mount - yeah, it flexes, and yeah, I did the aluminum mount for my Talion. Did it help? yeah, it held the servo firm, but I still stripped a ADS15. On that truck, I upgraded to a Protec 150T, and never had any more servo issues.
WELL SAID!

Servo released and thankfully there was enough slack to pull the servo clear and get at the bottom screws.

I taped the bottom cap in position and lifted the lid. Exactly the same failure as before. I cleaned the gears up, rotated the failed one through 180 degrees and bolted it all back up!

Job done, works perfectly and only took about 15 mins.

Thank you again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back