Outcast Steering issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fngarma123

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
So today I noticed a minor issue with my steering. I noticed that the steering doesn't fully return to the neutral setting after releasing the steering left or right. Played with the steering rate setting and it didn't do anything. Anyone have this issue before that can give some guidance?

So today I noticed a minor issue with my steering. I noticed that the steering doesn't fully return to the neutral setting after releasing the steering left or right. Played with the steering rate setting and it didn't do anything. Anyone have this issue before that can give some guidance?
Are you running the stock servo and servo saver? Can you see if the servo is actually centering but the saver spring isn’t coming back?

Are you running the stock servo and servo saver? Can you see if the servo is actually centering but the saver spring isn’t coming back?
Stock servo yes. See attached picture. It seems the servo is loose (that front screw) when I turn it. The servo doesn't recenter when I release the steering.. Thoughts?

20210718_213213.jpg

Stock servo yes. See attached picture. It seems the servo is loose (that front screw) when I turn it. The servo doesn't recenter when I release the steering.. Thoughts?

View attachment 158951
Well I’m at my end of helpfulness as I don’t own an 8S rig. I would ask guys like @Hammer Down for help

View attachment 158951
What screw is loose that you are referring to?

The stock servo and saver spring are pretty weak imo.. probably part of your issue.. I run a primal rc servo and the heavy saver spring in my kraton 8s, and just the heavy spring in my outcast 8s. With that said, my outcast would benefit from a more powerful servo, as it’s very apparent it’s underpowered in comparison and doesn’t always turn like it should under power.

There is a center mark/line on the steering rack to help with alignment, and you can use the steering link tie rod to fine tune it. I’ve attached a pic of the turnbuckle to adjust.
Ideally the saver should be perfectly vertical when the marks on the rack are lined up.
8AC4FBB1-DADC-480A-A78F-F6649256023F.jpeg

The top circle should be tight, it’s basically just a standoff for the linkage. The lower circle is a plastic support “axle” for the saver, it just floats in a bearing. Neither one will affect it re-centering the steering.

So what could be the issue? I made sure everything is tight? Could it be a bad servo?

Me and a few other fellas on here like the Primal RC PM1373 however it’s currently out of stock. 😕 You will also need the larger receiver box ARA320553
Any true 1/5 servo would be better than the stock one tbh.

So I took it to my local shop today and he said the servo is fine, thank God. He said the issue is somewhere in the front end as the wheels are very stiff to turn. He said it could just need oil or has a bent or broken piece somewhere.

So I took it to my local shop today and he said the servo is fine, thank God. He said the issue is somewhere in the front end as the wheels are very stiff to turn. He said it could just need oil or has a bent or broken piece somewhere.
Ahhhh In that case it’s probably the pillar ball retainers. The plastic ones like to tighten/loosen themselves. M2C has a marvelous $25 fix for that. 👍
My O8s still does this occasionally as I haven’t upgraded them yet. However my K8s with the M2C retainers is a nonissue.

Last edited:
Hi Fngarma,

(hi everyone btw, happy to be here)

I had exactly the same issue and it was the stock servo. Its in fact so weak that as soon as the Outcast was not fresh out of the box anymore it did not manage to straighten the wheels anymore. Your guy might be right, but thats the game, something will be always a bit bend, stiff or whatever. I replaced the servo with a Spektrum S9120BL and it works perfectly. Expensive, but sure as hell nothing is going to stop this thing.

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMSS9120BL

If you go with a 1:5 servo you need a new receiver box part, as already mentioned by someone earlier. Also in case you do some research about mounting it, you will find information that this servo doesn’t fit because its to big and there is not enough space which is not true it fits perfectly.

Hi Fngarma,

(hi everyone btw, happy to be here)

I had exactly the same issue and it was the stock servo. Its in fact so weak that as soon as the Outcast was not fresh out of the box anymore it did not manage to straighten the wheels anymore. Your guy might be right, but thats the game, something will be always a bit bend, stiff or whatever. I replaced the servo with a Spektrum S9120BL and it works perfectly. Expensive, but sure as hell nothing is going to stop this thing.

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMSS9120BL

If you go with a 1:5 servo you need a new receiver box part, as already mentioned by someone earlier. Also in case you do some research about mounting it, you will find information that this servo doesn’t fit because its to big and there is not enough space which is not true it fits perfectly.
Great info, thanks so much and to everyone on this thread! For now I just re oiled everything and the steering is fine. BUT I did order a 1:5 servo and new receiver box to avoid this issue happening again. As you mentioned, the stock servo is def underpowered for such a beast.

Back